Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 02:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooga Booga View Post
All the crap I used to hear when I was shorter. I wanted no part of that as I left my 20s. I wanted to enjoy life and just be like everybody else. Flaws and all.
Freudian slip? Your perceived "flaw" wasn't acceptable to you. Interesting.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:40 PM

330 posts, read 599,709 times
And still i wonder how many women on this post, or who have read this post, would consider (all other things aside) dating a man 5-4 (or even 5-6)?? Ironically, I would love to be the original posters former height! Posters it's very true.. short men get overlooked. Am I a "victim"? No, life is what it is, but people try to improve their bodies, from diet and excersize to "plastic" surgery... I am all for what the original poster has done, though I would not do it myself do to age.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:57 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,278,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
And still i wonder how many women on this post, or who have read this post, would consider (all other things aside) dating a man 5-4 (or even 5-6)?? Ironically, I would love to be the original posters former height! Posters it's very true.. short men get overlooked. Am I a "victim"? No, life is what it is, but people try to improve their bodies, from diet and excersize to "plastic" surgery... I am all for what the original poster has done, though I would not do it myself do to age.
I have. I've said this once elsewhere today: A good face and body are a good face and body. If a man is good-looking, he's going to catch my eye. Whether I stick around is a matter of personality, values, humor, sex, etc. But hotties are hot in all heights.

Don't get me wrong. In my 20s I was a bit hung up on height, at least on paper. But then when it occurred to me that I was saying one thing ("tall"), I was living another ("good face and bod, even if not so tall"), I ditched the height "requirement." Sometimes I think women get caught up in what they are "supposed" to find attractive, or get carried away with a fantasy ideal at the expense of what is actually pretty rockin' good.

The smart ones grow out of it.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:14 PM

142 posts, read 345,502 times
Yzette, unfortunately not everyone (I would dare to say the majority) does NOT think this way. Very typical to hear women say "cute face, cute body, but short.... what a waste".

Glad you grew out of it, but at least in my experience (and I say in my experience), a lot of people tend to grow out of things much, much later. I didn't want to wait till I was in my 30s and 40s for women to start to come around.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:40 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,369,869 times
I am 5' 6" and about the only problem that I have is keeping the women off of me. Your kidding me, people actually have this procedure done? What a waste. I can name plenty of guys my height that have no problem at the club or anywhere else. I can name plenty of guys that have no problem in business or being taken serious. Modifying your body to get people to take you serious, not that is something I would have a problem with. I wouldn't place too much worth into that as to why you would be better at something than someone who hasn't made a drastic change like that.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:38 PM

478 posts, read 810,505 times
I'm envious of certain advantages that shorter guys have. 5'6" or 5'7" guys tend to have good physical proportions. They also muscle up quite well in response to exercise.

Other advantages that short guys have, at least as far as I see them:

-everything is built to fit you. cars, transport, clothes off the rack, mirrors, shower heads, etc.

-Much easier to blend into a crowd if you want to

-tend to be good in sports requiring quick maneuvering and agility

-for many kinds of dancing you fit with the girl much better. I can do the moves for several basic partner dances, but I have to modify my posture and footwork pretty dramatically to accommodate a girl of normal height. It doesn't feel romantic. I've also really wished that I could dance with someone and look into their eyes without having to basically hang my head and look at my feet.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:32 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,733,139 times
Ooga, just a reminder--no plugging (advertising) the service you used. Thanks.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:46 PM

142 posts, read 345,502 times
You got it, was answering questions which required me to throw up sources, sorry. Thanks for your kindness and understanding Julia

Old 07-02-2011, 07:06 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,361,440 times
Idk OP, I understand why you did it but personally I wouldn't.

I'm 5"7" myself and I've rarely experienced jokes or ridicule because of my height. In all honesty my last memory of something like that is around the 3th or 4th grade. Maybe it's because I played a lot of sports and was good at them? I've never seen my height as a disadvantage.

I was always a strong kid so in college I took up strongman and oly weightlifting with a bunch of guys ( we were all under 6') and we had a blast. I don't feel like my height impeded me with girls at all.

I understood and still understand that some girls will be turned off by my height. It doesn't matter to me because I'm not out here chasing all girls. I don't need them all. Even if I could get all the girls, I wouldn't have the time to screw them all. So what would be the point? For ego's sake?

I also understand how height matters career wise ( at least the few studies that have come out) but I honestly don't give a ****. There are enough examples of successful shorter folks that height ceases to become a material factor. It's a factor but not one that can't be overcome.

Some people are born taller. Some more intelligent. Others more athletic. We could go on and on.

I think your decision was born more out of low self esteem/ self confidence then how you were really treated. Your perceptions became your reality.

I won't tell people not do it. It's not my place as it's a personal choice.

IF I was tall I wouldn't be as athletic and strong as I am. Tall white guys tend to be spastic. That makes me laugh because I couldn't imagine being non-athletic. There's no free lunch in life. There's a trade off for everything.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 07-02-2011 at 07:38 PM..

Old 07-02-2011, 08:11 PM

330 posts, read 599,709 times
Thanks Yzette for... growing mature... for many women height does matter, less of-course as they grow older... and to the other poster there is a HUGE difference between 5-7 and 5-4. Its VERY difficult to find off-the-rack clothing in my size. Do they have "short" suit sizes yes. BUT, even then the jackets are too long, I have to find extra-short, which effectivly cuts me off from 90% of the clothing market. By the way, I am not sure if I can name drop but ZARA MEN is a great store for shorter (as long as you are in good shape) men, So if you are in the 5 ft range try them out. Cars are not made for someone 5'4.. they are made for the average height man of 5'9' which is not good for most women either. As for dancing, I practice Salsa, (women love a man who can dance, its one of the things i do because i try harder to be a better man), and I would love to look most women in their eyes. With high heels, and what women does not wear them, almost all women are taller than me. Heels are a must in salsa dancing. 5'4 is in the bottom 5% of the average mens height scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships