Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 02:26 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,405,976 times

Advertisements

Have you ever? Someone older and wiser than you that's guided you through difficult times? If yes, how has that helped you? If no, do you regret that you haven't, and do you think that it would have helped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 02:32 PM

I ask this, because at the time, I find I have an angel on my shoulder. A guy that I haven't known long, who's about 20 years older than I am, and who's traveled a path I now find myself on, and who has some kind of a 6th sense. I'll exchange an email or two with him, he'll sense I'm at an impasse, and not long before the phone rings. I honestly don't know how I got so lucky.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Have you ever? Someone older and wiser than you that's guided you through difficult times? If yes, how has that helped you? If no, do you regret that you haven't, and do you think that it would have helped?
I've been blessed in my life to have a mentor, along with a safety net, two things I know not everyone gets that can really give you a leg up in life.

Having an older, wiser, more life experienced person take an interest in you and be willing to spend time guiding you in some of your decisions can make a HUGE difference in your life. Without one many people make ill-fitting choices for themselves that they later have to rectify or deal with the consequences of. If you've found a good mentor I say congrats!

Old 07-10-2011, 03:59 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,630,260 times
I had my two older brothers and my three taijiquan teachers all act as mentors to me until I was around 30.

Funny, but the whole late-80's - early-90's life coaching phenomenon was really just about mentoring people.

It's an honorable calling and a lift indeed for those in need.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
No. I wouldn't have listened to anybody anyway.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I've been blessed in my life to have a mentor, along with a safety net, two things I know not everyone gets that can really give you a leg up in life.

Having an older, wiser, more life experienced person take an interest in you and be willing to spend time guiding you in some of your decisions can make a HUGE difference in your life. Without one many people make ill-fitting choices for themselves that they later have to rectify or deal with the consequences of. If you've found a good mentor I say congrats!
Thank you, and same to you. I haven't always been so lucky. My father, the obvious first choice for a boy loved me, was a great man, but so old school he just figured you take your knocks, you learn, and you go on. So what the hell was there to talk about? He lost his father when he was only ten years old, so in a way it wasn't really his fault. He didn't know how.

I had a maternal uncle who took a real interest in me as a kid, and it did help, a lot! But the guy I'm talking about now is just a first class mensch. Not only has he been around, two or three times, but he is one of those guys that analyzed life as he went through it and made a point of never proceeding until that lesson was learned. I think, since I am involved in something that he has also been involved in, he appreciates my talent for it and is generous enough to help me get some answers. I'd never say this to his face, but I love this guy. He's a little sick now, and it hurts to think of it, what I will feel when he's gone. Damn life is so bittersweet, always!

Old 07-10-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I had my two older brothers and my three taijiquan teachers all act as mentors to me until I was around 30.

Funny, but the whole late-80's - early-90's life coaching phenomenon was really just about mentoring people.

It's an honorable calling and a lift indeed for those in need.
Good for you, Phil. I guess in business it is starting to catch on to. I think any way to save some time, some pain, is a good thing. It's confusing enough out here without making a mystery out of it. I look at these young kids, and not that I had an easy go, but they look so lost. With all the broken marriages, I guess it's no surprise. But still a shame. We get one go around and it takes us half our lives to even come close to figuring out what the hell it's all about, if ever.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
No. I wouldn't have listened to anybody anyway.
I've got a lot of faults, but for some reason, stubbornness is not one of them. I was raised in a situation where they kept me on my toes. So quickly they changed the game on me that I guess I had to learn to adapt..

Old 07-10-2011, 04:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
I've got a lot of faults, but for some reason, stubbornness is not one of them. I was raised in a situation where they kept me on my toes. So quickly they changed the game on me that I guess I had to learn to adapt..
On the other hand, it sucks having nobody to blame for your decisions...

Old 07-10-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
On the other hand, it sucks having nobody to blame for your decisions...
Ha! I'm so hard on myself, I take the blame for OTHER people's decisions..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships