Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,053 times

Advertisements

Y'all ever thought of it? For some reason this year it's more meaningless to me and has been so for a while. Yes, I love the parties, all the food, love that people are in a good mood, love the presents (althought more and more I discourage people frome getting them for me). TV has some good shows, I love knowing I can have a tipple of my favorite poison at 12 noon without anyone raising an eyebrow at the smell of alcohol on my breath . Even more I looooove the fact that I make a ton of money as my business has a boost every holiday time....by giving people peace of mind but not gorging them for money they don't need to spend.

Many of you are going to be stuffing yourself silly with food, pretending to be happy seeing people you care little for and buying more toys for children that they really don't need any more toys.

Listen, I know the world problems aren't yours but, in a world where the message we get about christmas is how much stores are raking in and how much money is spent per minute on line, it begs the question. Is that all? Some times it's hard to get excited about a meaningless festivity with the images and stories that come across the wires and our tvs every day.

People, once your children pass the stage where they find out you and the world had duped them with the whole santa claus gobbly goo, give it up.

The only adult getting a present this year is my mum - A new Washing Machine....all the others can find their way.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:05 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times
Who cares how other people see Christmas? Who cares about the origins of Christmas; where it started, how it became a Christian holiday? Who cares who's commercializing it? I don't. What matters to me is do I keep my eye on it's true meaning as a Christian; how I see it and celebrate it. What others do with it is their concern. I don't care if I have no money to spend on presents or if I don't get any. It's not my birth I'm celebrating. Just my perspective on it. I refuse to let outside details fog my view of a true Christmas.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Who cares how other people see Christmas? Who cares about the origins of Christmas; where it started, how it became a Christian holiday? Who cares who's commercializing it? I don't. What matters to me is do I keep my eye on it's true meaning as a Christian; how I see it and celebrate it. What others do with it is their concern. I don't care if I have no money to spend on presents or if I don't get any. It's not my birth I'm celebrating. Just my perspective on it. I refuse to let outside details fog my view of a true Christmas.
And the true meaning of christmas to you is? ..................

Old 12-16-2008, 11:12 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Celebrating the birth of Jesus.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Celebrating the birth of Jesus.
And you celebrate it by? ........

Old 12-16-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
And you celebrate it by? ........
Are you looking for fault or something? I don't understand?

Old 12-16-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Are you looking for fault or something? I don't understand?
Nope not looking for a fault, just wondering how you celebrate the birth of "jesus". How does a true christian celebrate christmas?

Quote:
Who cares how other people see Christmas? Who cares about the origins of Christmas; where it started, how it became a Christian holiday? Who cares who's commercializing it? I don't. What matters to me is do I keep my eye on it's true meaning as a Christian; how I see it and celebrate it. What others do with it is their concern. I don't care if I have no money to spend on presents or if I don't get any. It's not my birth I'm celebrating. Just my perspective on it. I refuse to let outside details fog my view of a true Christmas

Old 12-16-2008, 06:52 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,676 times
There is no one correct way for a "true" Christian to celebrate Christmas. That statement right there is your downfall. Sounds like you're looking to pick a fight so you can start slinging "hypocrite" awards around.

What do you care?

Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Y'all ever thought of it? For some reason this year it's more meaningless to me and has been so for a while. Yes, I love the parties, all the food, love that people are in a good mood, love the presents (althought more and more I discourage people frome getting them for me). TV has some good shows, I love knowing I can have a tipple of my favorite poison at 12 noon without anyone raising an eyebrow at the smell of alcohol on my breath . Even more I looooove the fact that I make a ton of money as my business has a boost every holiday time....by giving people peace of mind but not gorging them for money they don't need to spend.

Many of you are going to be stuffing yourself silly with food, pretending to be happy seeing people you care little for and buying more toys for children that they really don't need any more toys.

Listen, I know the world problems aren't yours but, in a world where the message we get about christmas is how much stores are raking in and how much money is spent per minute on line, it begs the question. Is that all? Some times it's hard to get excited about a meaningless festivity with the images and stories that come across the wires and our tvs every day.

People, once your children pass the stage where they find out you and the world had duped them with the whole santa claus gobbly goo, give it up.

The only adult getting a present this year is my mum - A new Washing Machine....all the others can find their way.

Not surprising that you feel this way - you seem to have taken the "Christ" out of Christmas. Makes me sad for you and others like you

Old 12-16-2008, 06:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Gosh, I just love transparently captious threads like this where, no matter what you reply, the OP is going to nitpick it to death in hopes of exposing one as a hypocrite.

Okay, I'll play.

Here's how I celebrate Christmas with my family.

1) As we do once a month, we volunteer at the Hospitality Network, a homeless ministry for families in our area.
2) As we do every year, we make sure that we're caught up on our pledge to our church, and make an additional contribution to the homeless ministry listed above.
3) My sons and I ring handbells for the Salvation Army. I also sell Christmas trees to raise money for a local cancer hospital.
4) My wife and daughter contribute scarves and mittens to the local charity hospital for indigent mothers and their children.
5) We attend Advent services, Christmas Eve services, and Christmas Day services.
6) We give our children nice gifts, and give simply to one another.
7) We spend the holiday with our family. We also invite people who moved here from elsewhere who cannot be with family.

The holiday is only meaningless for people who do not put meaning into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships