Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 03:40 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Money.
Not always. Just the gold-diggers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 04:01 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
And finally, although there may be many, many jackals out there that proclaim to be players, I doubt that more than a small handful of them are skilled technicians; rather, they use the common Raw Numbers Approach - the more times at bat, the more hits.

Philistines the lot of 'em.

Overall, you have a very interesting way of looking at The Look - thank you for the lesson.
You are correct here--I'm sure you've seen it a million times in your line of work. And I've seen it quite a few times on my end as well. Amateur wanna-be players will start off with the purely lustful look, but it's the look that communicates that any ole hole will do and any woman will tell you that it's not very attractive, even if she's just looking for a night out herself. If she's drunk or he's tall or extremely good-looking, he may get lucky anyway. After using the numbers game for awhile, he may get somewhat of a sense of what works or which types are most likely to yield to him.

An experienced player has a different way of going about it. He will look at a woman with a look that communicates interest and as if she's the only woman in the room for him. Maybe he's got a couple of other possibilities picked out as well, but he won't let his chosen targets catch him in the act of looking at the others with interest. And he keeps catching her eye and seems to be fascinated and sometimes he even acts like a lovesick puppy so she'll think he's not that experienced. She may even wonder if he's a player and will test him by watching to see if he's looking at other women and if she can't catch him in the act then she'll let down her guard some. Mmm hmm, that's how it works.

And though it doesn't sound very flattering to women, the reason it works is because we like to feel special. It's the way we're made and even those posters who said that they like to be valued for their brain, etc: they also like to feel special. It's the reason why we get upset when we put a lot of effort into looking really great for a party and then some other hag shows up in the same outfit. Ugh, the nerve! Of course, we usually just want to be special to that special man but it has to start somewhere.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:32 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
You are correct here--I'm sure you've seen it a million times in your line of work. And I've seen it quite a few times on my end as well. Amateur wanna-be players will start off with the purely lustful look, but it's the look that communicates that any ole hole will do and any woman will tell you that it's not very attractive, even if she's just looking for a night out herself. If she's drunk or he's tall or extremely good-looking, he may get lucky anyway. After using the numbers game for awhile, he may get somewhat of a sense of what works or which types are most likely to yield to him.
Yep - and until they learn, they provide the most pathetic closing-time tableau you've ever seen. I have to admire them for their tenacity, though - I know they'll be back in tomorrow night, swinging for the fences.

THAT'S motivation. Or insanity, but they're pretty close to begin with.

Quote:
An experienced player has a different way of going about it. He will look at a woman with a look that communicates interest and as if she's the only woman in the room for him. Maybe he's got a couple of other possibilities picked out as well, but he won't let his chosen targets catch him in the act of looking at the others with interest. And he keeps catching her eye and seems to be fascinated and sometimes he even acts like a lovesick puppy so she'll think he's not that experienced. She may even wonder if he's a player and will test him by watching to see if he's looking at other women and if she can't catch him in the act then she'll let down her guard some. Mmm hmm, that's how it works.
*Star Trek voice*

"Single-focus relationship synthesis was required reading at the academy."

Seriously - any experienced player knows you have to go beyond the basics. In certain service businesses if you were to let your focus slip from your "job" you wouldn't be working long.

Quote:
And though it doesn't sound very flattering to women, the reason it works is because we like to feel special. It's the way we're made and even those posters who said that they like to be valued for their brain, etc: they also like to feel special. It's the reason why we get upset when we put a lot of effort into looking really great for a party and then some other hag shows up in the same outfit. Ugh, the nerve! Of course, we usually just want to be special to that special man but it has to start somewhere.
That's a nice description of "special", one which I cannot improve upon.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Yep - and until they learn, they provide the most pathetic closing-time tableau you've ever seen. I have to admire them for their tenacity, though - I know they'll be back in tomorrow night, swinging for the fences.
I can't rep you again just yet, so I'll just say this: I'll bet you have some great stories.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:52 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
I'll have to agree with the guy that said '' Money ''. You cover yourself with $100 bills, that is all the look you'll need. It may not be their main interest, but from what I have seen, it does trump things that usually turns them off.

Last edited by RcHydro; 07-16-2011 at 06:37 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 05:57 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I'll keep you guys posted on how giving guys the look goes..Heading out tonight and am on the prowl...

Old 07-16-2011, 06:59 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
I've been with guys with and without the look. I'm not knocking "desired" look, but I want my guy to have other desires.

desire to take out the trash...without me asking
desire to make up the bed...without me asking
come back from the grocery without a wrong item
What a Nagger.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:20 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Yep I do want to be wanted for who I am as a person. And I would do the same for whatever man I marry.
OMG I hate this way of thinking!!!! Who you are as a person?? That is boring!!

Old 07-17-2011, 12:30 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I can't rep you again just yet, so I'll just say this: I'll bet you have some great stories.
Think of "Cheers", but with naked girls walking around and music so loud you can't hear dialogue ... and a whole bunch of Cliffs and Norms hanging out.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Money.
Yeah you just keep telling yourself that and then you can use it for an excuse for why women don't go for it. I mean, don't bother to listen to all these women on here giving you the ultimate secret.

I guess I'm the exception to the rule b/c it seems like I always fall for the penniless intellectual types. I don't seem to go for men who play golf--I have nothing against the game itself, I just don't go for that type and I've never dated a man who plays it. Yeah yeah, I know. They're not all rich, but you're more likely to find a wealthy man playing golf than some other game--you have to do it to be in "the club." LOL, stereotype!

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'll keep you guys posted on how giving guys the look goes..Heading out tonight and am on the prowl...
Oh great, I've created a player and taught him how to play.

We haven't heard back--either it's gone exceptionally well and he's sleeping it off, or not good at all and he's too ashamed to come back and let us know how it went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships