Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:02 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,325 times

Advertisements

Although those are highly dangerous professions, I wouldn't marry a guy like that, because knowing how attached I am to my husband, I would get a nervous breakdown and a heart attack every time he would go to work. Or when it comes to doctors and such, they would spend a lots of time outside of home...I am not for that...But, those are all noble professions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 06:02 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,964 times
I'm married to a Vietnam vet who was a firefighter before we relocated...he's also a musician....I'd marry him again in a heartbeat. Never had a problem with him being a firefighter (concerned about him, yes), never had a problem when he had a gig - sometimes I went along sometimes I didn't.

My ex was a "binge drinker" - who tended bar.....NOT a good combination and would have to REALLY think about marrying a bartender for that reason, not the hours.....

Old 08-10-2007, 06:19 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,032,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ladies, would you get involved with or marry a: cop, doctor, fireman, traveling businessman, OTR truck driver, lawyer or even a guy that is in the military?
Police Officer and Fireman: can be a very "high-risk" and dangerous job.
Traveling Businessman: gone a lot
Doctor (some): on call 24 hours a day
OTR Truck Driver: gone a lot
Lawyer: gone a lot (perhaps)
Military Person: gone a lot (depending)
Just what am I getting at? These are all good paying jobs, but why is the divorce rate so high in them? Do ladies who marry men in these careers know that these jobs are NOT necessarily the 8AM-5PM Monday-Friday type of jobs????
I was in the Navy at one time and I NEVER got married and didn't even have a girlfriend until just before I got out. I actually seen one sailor "jump ship" (into the water) by the pier because his wife was in tears on the pier saying "goodbye" to her husband who was going on a 6 month cruise overseas. He wound up in the Brig, so they ended up apart anyway.
If there are any women (or even men) in the Forum that are married (or involved) with a person that is listed above, please tell us how you keep your marriage going. If you "were" married to one of the above, tell us why you are no longer married to that person.......because of the type of job they had???
I work days only with weekend off.....love it that way. My wife works days only, but does work some overtime hours in the beginning of each month (Close) as an Accountant. She also has all weekends off. Except for her overtime hours, we love the work hours we have.

Yes, yes, yes and yes, why not? I am independent and can take care of myself, not afraid to be alone, those are all great professions and I would marry any of them, having the chance that is....

Old 08-10-2007, 06:28 PM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,860 times
My criteria is already so specific, that career isn't even a factor, lol. At this point in my life, I'd probably marry Tarzan as long as he wasn't on anti-depressants and opened his first beer after dinner.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:29 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,416 times
Could those of you who say "I couldn't" or "It's not for me" help me understand why not? My DH works away from home for 6 weeks a year and has to hire crew. The biggest reason people end up not going is the GF says no.

Which makes me wonder: How in the aitch did this country ever get built? All we have to do is maintain it and we can't even do that b/c the gf says "stay" and the bf says "yes ma'am."

Old 08-10-2007, 10:51 PM

73 posts, read 234,039 times
Quote:
Could those of you who say "I couldn't" or "It's not for me" help me understand why not? My DH works away from home for 6 weeks a year and has to hire crew. The biggest reason people end up not going is the GF says no.

Which makes me wonder: How in the aitch did this country ever get built? All we have to do is maintain it and we can't even do that b/c the gf says "stay" and the bf says "yes ma'am."
LOL, I wish I could answer your question, but I can't.

If I loved a man enough to marry him I wouldn't let his occupation stop me, as long as it was an honorable one.

Personally I need a lot of space in relationships and see nothing at all wrong with career related "time apart".

I do remember one of my aunts saying, shortly before her divorce, that she felt like a single parent. They had four children and he was working odd hours as a Postal employee, though he wasn't gone from home at all. He just worked nights and slept all day.

And I can see how raising a family with one parent being unavailable much of the time would put quite a lot of stress on the relationship.

I've heard doctor's wives (and husbands) say that they felt that everyone else came before them. And I can imagine that being a police officer's wife (or husband) would entail a lot of anxious moments.

But when you love someone, you simply love them for all your are worth.

People want the easy way too much, I think.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:03 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
You could add an oilfeild roughneck to that list. An honorable position, but can call for being gone 1, 2, 3, 4 or more weeks at a time. Mine failed just working a 2 and 2 schedule. Adultry. Not pretty.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:45 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,125 times
Most of the men I've met who worked a lot of hours weren't looking to date at all.
I guess I have only met men who are aloof.
I have a weird profession too, and I have been told that I need to focus on my profession, and not be looking for someone.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:12 AM

194 posts, read 1,028,385 times
I would be happy if my husband we be gone only 5-6 weeks at a time. That would be something like a little refresher and vacation for our relationship.

(Don't get me wrong......we enjoy every minute we can spend together)

Old 08-11-2007, 01:14 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Well pilot wasn't included but certainly fits the criteria. I'd say my husband and I have a very unique situation. When he's home, he's home, what can I say. To be very raw and open the biggest challenges are not letting the house fall to sh*t (it's a bad example to the kids) I don't want them to think when dad's home we act different. It's hard for him because his kids are growing up without him and his wife is living as a single mom (just with a little more money) Another challenge is to include him in the family when he's home, ask him his opinion on discipline ect.. I get so use to doing everything by myself that I forget. I've also noticed that I can emotionally "check out" and have to conciously "check in". I have needs and it's important that they are met, even if he's not the one to meet them.

So it's not the ideal situation for most people. And it's challenging even for us, but most people in our situation would be divorced by now. We've moved about every 2 years or less (for his job), moved with every child, lived out of the country, ect..

What's worked for us? I have my own life and we make some serious lov'n when we can! Seriously though if love was all it took we'd have it made. Will we make it? I don't know...time will tell. I'm planning on sticking around to find out.

Sigining off singing "Coming around again" by Carly Simon

Oh and I would not be involved with a muscian or bartender, I'm pretty open but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships