Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:11 PM

67 posts, read 181,945 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have personal experience in forgiving someone 100% for a grievous offense? How did you do it?

A man I knew of was so traumatized by the way his ex turned his children against him, he vowed not to have any children anymore. He made this very clear to his girlfriend at the beginning of their relationship. Anyway she got pregnant accidentally but opted for abortion to accommodate her boyfriend’s feelings. They finally got married and everything was fine until her decided she wanted children after all. After much argument and a brief separation, he gave in to her wishes. Unfortunately, she could not have any children anymore. From then on, she demonstrated her seething anger towards him by denying him sex and yelling at him all the time. He reached his limit after five years of this treatment and walked out on her. She was devastated. She still loved him deeply but she didn’t know how to deal with her anger. He also loved her dearly but he just couldn’t deal with the stress her constant anger caused him.

In another incident, a woman was very much hurt by her husband’s cheating. She stays in the marriage for her children’s sake. She still loves him but her anger makes it impossible for her to have sex with him or to treat him nicely. Their patched up marriage is still chugging along but I don’t know how long it is going to last.

I don’t want to judge who is right or who is wrong in the above scenarios. I just want to know if someone has personal experience in overcoming anger and resentment of this magnitude and still managed to preserve a loving relationship without punishing the transgressor in any manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 04:18 PM

28,970 posts, read 30,332,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren123 View Post
Does anyone have personal experience in forgiving someone 100% for a grievous offense? How did you do it?

A man I knew of was so traumatized by the way his ex turned his children against him, he vowed not to have any children anymore. He made this very clear to his girlfriend at the beginning of their relationship. Anyway she got pregnant accidentally but opted for abortion to accommodate her boyfriend’s feelings. They finally got married and everything was fine until her decided she wanted children after all. After much argument and a brief separation, he gave in to her wishes. Unfortunately, she could not have any children anymore. From then on, she demonstrated her seething anger towards him by denying him sex and yelling at him all the time. He reached his limit after five years of this treatment and walked out on her. She was devastated. She still loved him deeply but she didn’t know how to deal with her anger. He also loved her dearly but he just couldn’t deal with the stress her constant anger caused him.

In another incident, a woman was very much hurt by her husband’s cheating. She stays in the marriage for her children’s sake. She still loves him but her anger makes it impossible for her to have sex with him or to treat him nicely. Their patched up marriage is still chugging along but I don’t know how long it is going to last.

I don’t want to judge who is right or who is wrong in the above scenarios. I just want to know if someone has personal experience in overcoming anger and resentment of this magnitude and still managed to preserve a loving relationship as if nothing happened.
I think its harder to forgive then it is to hold a grudge, for some people, and yes, I've had that personal experience, but I will not share it. It was a most devestating time in my life.

I did manage to forgive after many years of prayer, self examination, and hard work on my part, but I never forgot, and was always cautious after that.

Who ever wrote forgiveness is forgetting, was wrong...or at least my way of thinking...you can forgive, but you can never forget a hurt like that.

and I'm not talking about a husband running around...and I believe it surely can be worked out and forgotten with much work from both partners.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Cremebrulee, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Personally speaking, I don't really take revenge but I tend to avoid people who are unrepentent, hurt me repeatedly and will do so willingly again given half the chance. I just don't know how to "turn the other cheek" after three times. 70 times 7 is way out of my league :-(

Last edited by lauren123; 01-19-2009 at 05:00 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 04:35 PM

355 posts, read 815,262 times
To forgive or not to forgive.

Forgiveness isn't really for the benefit of the person who hurt you. It's actually done so you can move on. If you don't forgive, you cannot move forward with your life. Besides, carrying all that excess baggage can wear you out. Why hurt yourself all over again?

I have too much to deal with everyday to actually hold a grudge. Life is too short.

That being said, I NEVER forget.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:42 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,562,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
To forgive or not to forgive.

Forgiveness isn't really for the benefit of the person who hurt you. It's actually done so you can move on. If you don't forgive, you cannot move forward with your life. Besides, carrying all that excess baggage can wear you out. Why hurt yourself all over again?

I have too much to deal with everyday to actually hold a grudge. Life is too short.

That being said, I NEVER forget.
Amen.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:48 PM

631 posts, read 1,887,988 times
I forgave and moved on with the relationship only to have the same thing happen again a few years later. So needless to say its MUCH harder to forgive the second time around. I think its possible but it is hard work. Forgiveness is something you have to give though because if you don't then you end up bitter and angry. Those emotions are not good for you or your relationship. I've seen so many wronged women and men carry those emotions for years if not forever and its almost as bad as a disease getting ahold of your body.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:54 PM

32,968 posts, read 36,464,856 times
You can want to forgive someone, you can say that you forgive someone, but it just doesn't work unless you feel it, and you can't make that happen.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
I forgave and moved on with the relationship only to have the same thing happen again a few years later. So needless to say its MUCH harder to forgive the second time around. I think its possible but it is hard work. Forgiveness is something you have to give though because if you don't then you end up bitter and angry. Those emotions are not good for you or your relationship. I've seen so many wronged women and men carry those emotions for years if not forever and its almost as bad as a disease getting ahold of your body.
Yeah, it can eat away a relationship from the inside too. Did you go for marriage counseling? Or did religion give you strength?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:17 PM

28,970 posts, read 30,332,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren123 View Post
Cremebrulee, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Personally speaking, I don't really take revenge but I tend to avoid people who are unrepentent, hurt me repeatedly and will do so willingly again given half the chance. I just don't know how to "turn the other cheek" after three times. 70 times 7 is way out of my league :-(
well, I turned my cheek twice, and won't do it again...so, I agree with you...hugs
Creme

Old 01-19-2009, 06:09 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,876,829 times
Actions like that are unforgivable. Probably couldn't get any worse than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships