Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,896,598 times

Advertisements

Are you sad because you don't have someone during the holidays?

I have randomly met people who have told me their whole life story and sad times. I think it has a lot to do with feeling lonely during the holidays. Maybe it's because they don't have anyone to exchange Christmas gifts or ring in the New Year or not being able (yet again) to bring anyone home for Thanksgiving. Failed marriages, failed relationships, separations, etc. I've heard it all. I'm so sad for those who are hurting but I wonder if everyone tends to feel worse during the holidays when they are alone rather than any other time of year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 AM

11,804 posts, read 12,047,935 times
I think holidays make everything worse. Not quite the same thing, however, I lost my dad this year and I'm really feeling it now more than other times. A good friend of mine's husband died last week, so that loss is really being felt now, although it will probably be worse by next Christmas once reality really sinks in.

My coworker was giving out Christmas dinners and stockings to homeless/shelter people last night and while they were appreciative, for many, it was very upsetting because Christmas brings to mind all the people who aren't in your life, memories of times past. This time of year is not the happiest time for many many people.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:24 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,269,117 times
I think where you're at in life colors how you approach the holidays. I think a newly broken up with person who finally ditched a bad relationship might be thrilled to be alone for the holidays. Someone whose been looking for someone for several years and watches lots of romance movies is probably sad.

However, just because you don't have a partner doesn't mean you have to be "alone". If you've got friends and family to spend the holidays with you are not alone.

I had neither a partner, nor friends for the holidays for a few years (my friends all left the city for that time) and to be perfectly honest--I LOVED it. All the other times of year I feel like I was in a race, then the holidays come and BAM! I get alone time. Precious, wonderful alone time -- without people in my face.

I guess I could have felt sorry for myself while watching Titanic--but I didn't.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,750,034 times
No, I really don't miss having a partner at the holidays. I go home to my house in WV and celebrate with my daughters and my friends--I make whatever plans I feel like and I do as much socializing and dating as I like, keep my own hours and do things my way. It's the most woinderful time of the year!

I get a bit lonely at other times though, when I am away from everyone I love and not much is happening on the calendar.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:35 AM

494 posts, read 1,610,776 times
Nope, not in the slightest.

It's mainly because I never made a big deal about Christmas to begin with even when I had friends. For me, Valteines day would be that day, as I've yet to have a S/O and it's a terrible reminder of that.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:38 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,887,457 times
Sad? I love it! I do what I want, cook what I want, and go where I want. If I want company or to attend a party, I do it. When I'm ready to leave, I leave.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:07 AM

48,544 posts, read 34,911,433 times
I'm gonna have to be.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:04 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,200,345 times
Of course, I think it's a bigger problem to always want to be in a relationship.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,202,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm gonna have to be.
What are you talking about...? Is he not there or is it over?

Old 12-16-2011, 03:10 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,012,880 times
I've never had a problem being alone on the holidays. I can take it or leave it. This year I'm lucky to be in a relatively new, casual relationship. I still have someone to spend time with, but don't have to deal with making the rounds of his families' houses and mine. We'll do our own thing and meet somewhere in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships