Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:43 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,332,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
If a man understands what he has at home, he's less likely to foul up; that is if he's a man that has his stuff together and understands the value a good woman can bring into his life.
Well said Northside. While we ultimately can't control what a man does, if he appreciates what a good woman brings to his life he will be less likely to get into trouble. That being said, a good woman is no guarantee a man will not stray. (This works both ways of course)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,151,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
JMHO, but a "good" woman isn't interested in babysitting a man, rescuing him from his foibles, or ensuring that he stays "out of trouble". That expenditure of time, energy and oxygen is suited for parent-child relationships.

A good woman (e.g. a woman with good self-esteem and with her head screwed on right) is attracted to an equally healthy male.
Agreed...However sometimes a person will be attracted to another regardless. In addition to physical attraction, some people just have a certain magnetism and charisma that draws others in. Im sure many of us at some point got involved with someone that had some flags, but was enveloped in a relationship of some sort beyond that. The human psych and attraction is a funny thing.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:09 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,851,703 times
A good woman realizes the value of a good man. She does not go for the bad boy because she is an emotionally healthy and mature individual.

A big fantasy of younger women seems to be the "taming of the bad boy" story, which is what I'm assuming this thread is referring to (even if the connection was not realized or intended). Women pursue the bad boy in the hopes that he will care about her enough to change for her. I don't know much about the underlying psychology but I do know that this is a very immature approach to relationship-building. Most women who strive for this story are the ones who come to these forums and make threads complaining about how there are no good men out there or how all men are D-bags etc.

I always say that if you have no success in dating (man or woman) that the problem is internal; your picker isn't working well. The good woman taming the bad boy (or vice versa) is a recipe for disaster. That woman is picking the wrong people to pursue and inevitably gets her heart broken.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:13 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,192,291 times
Are you referring to your "man" that is in jail, is a drug addict, and treats you like crap? If so - then, no. There is nothing you can do.

I think in order for anyone to be capable of keeping anyone else in line - the person who gets into trouble has to WANT to not get into trouble to begin with. If someone is unhappy with their life and wants to make it better but has a hard time doing so by themself - then yes, perhaps having another person in their life to help anchor them will keep them in line. However - this "friend" of yours that you keep talking about shows absolutely no interest in staying out of trouble and basically just uses you.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:35 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,650,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
I know every man will do what he wants to do. Is it possible a man will stay out of trouble if he believes a good woman is in his life. Doesn't have to be a spouse or SO.
This is true of some men but not all for sure. Much
Depends on individual personality and how much a guy cares about a gal. There have been three lasts in my life that made me want to be something more than I was before we met.
I love them every one to this day (still with the last one to come along..lol). Never thought I would want to " change" for anyone.....didn't really have to change per se...just wanted to add positive aspsects to myself. Lmao....one of those positive aspsects was to find excitement in ways that didn't risk encounters with the law.....so I guess they kept me out of trouble.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:36 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,635,284 times
Quote:
Can a good woman actually keep a man in line as in not getting into trouble?
In a word, no. If a woman feels the need to keep men in line she should become a parole officer. I don't believe that a healthy and happy relationship can exist if a woman is constantly concerned about her boyfriend or husband's behavior. I've known a few couples that seem to fall into this category. One guy I knew was married twice and divorced twice for the very same reason, his alcoholism, and he finally died from it. It's true that people can sometimes turn their life around and change for the better. I think that's particularly true of many young guys who go through a troubled period in their teens and early twenties but finally mature and lead productive lives. However, if a man has a history of any sort of serious problems and he's approaching middle age it's extremely unlikely that he's going to change no matter how hard a woman in his life is trying to help him.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:57 PM

951 posts, read 1,812,461 times
Quote:
I know every man will do what he wants to do. Is it possible a man will stay out of trouble if he believes a good woman is in his life. Doesn't have to be a spouse or SO.
Actually, I think the opposite is true. Men who are trying to attract women have a lot of incentive to be good. Women don't appreciate that. Looks and the ability to at least appear to have money are paramount to them. Then they often have a problem to fix.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:05 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,650,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
Actually, I think the opposite is true. Men who are trying to attract women have a lot of incentive to be good. Women don't appreciate that. Looks and the ability to at least appear to have money are paramount to them. Then they often have a problem to fix.
Lmao.....trying to fix problems is a fools errand. I can't count all the women I have known who thought they could pull off a metamorphoses with some low life parasite "bad boy" who they were really just physically attracted to but couldn't see past that.
Yea....trying to "fix" someone is a fight you don't wanna pick. It will leave you beat and bleeding with no more than that to show for the effort.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,012,324 times
Quote:
You need to define what a “good” woman is. And also “trouble.”

A man could stay in line if he feels losing the woman is too big a price to pay for getting out of line. The woman must be sure that she will, indeed, vanish if he crosses her. No exceptions. (It sounds, however, like the woman in question is too interested in the man, so she will likely not have the strength of will to cast him off, if called for.)

Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,126,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcredux View Post
If a girl keeps herself fit, has a decent sense of humor, isn't negative, and actually makes an effort to be adventurous in bed, then most quality guys will be reluctant to leave.

If a girl lets herself go, has a negative attitude, and isn't adventurous in bed, then it is inevitable that most quality guys will dump her.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Are you referring to your "man" that is in jail, is a drug addict, and treats you like crap? If so - then, no. There is nothing you can do.

I think in order for anyone to be capable of keeping anyone else in line - the person who gets into trouble has to WANT to not get into trouble to begin with. If someone is unhappy with their life and wants to make it better but has a hard time doing so by themself - then yes, perhaps having another person in their life to help anchor them will keep them in line. However - this "friend" of yours that you keep talking about shows absolutely no interest in staying out of trouble and basically just uses you.
^^^ THIS THIS THIS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships