Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 05:02 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,845 times

Advertisements

There has been many views expressed by both men and women when it comes to long-distance dating but in general, should the man move to be with the woman or the other way round? Is it not too risky to displace oneself to another town only to break-up later? Of course, we all try to be positive and hope break-up will not happen, but what is the best way to go about it since one of us has to move soon. Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 05:06 PM

153 posts, read 273,735 times
It depends. Which one, if any, own real estate. Sick family member. Job issues. If one's job is mobile and the other one's isn't, then the one who's job is mobile should move. You need to do a pro's and con's list for each of you. Put it down on paper and then you can get to the brass tax and see what is what.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:28 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
Here's what I think. Can you both afford to travel back and forth? If so, then you should. If either of you can relocate with a good job, then you should. Some relationships cannot stand the scrutiny of close proximity.
If you only love THE IDEA of being with him/her, but not he nitty gritty, then there's your answer.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:28 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,824,292 times
I wouldn't move if we're "just dating."

Old 12-16-2010, 05:32 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,684,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I wouldn't move if we're "just dating."
I totally agree. And I'd question the sanity of a person who'd move to be with me in a "just dating" situation.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:39 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,285,343 times
Rather just put things in balance and see if making such a big decision will be fine for all areas in my life: career/job/profession, personal growth, relationship, family, and so on.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:45 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,500,987 times
i would think whomever has the better job or cannot telecommute should stay put.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,211,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i would think whomever has the better job or cannot telecommute should stay put.
That's valid only in a marital situation, and even then plenty have experienced their lives going down the drain when a shaky marriage ends shortly thereafter. If it's just a "dating" scenario, I'd say one should should move only if he/she really likes the other city and would live there regardless of the status of the relationship and has portable, marketable, and in-demand skills. Otherwise, particularly right now, moving is for the birds...

Old 12-16-2010, 09:15 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
like others have said...
it would be very situational...
(and this would only be at the point where the relationship has gone beyond "just dating" and has gotten serious...though i wouldnt wait untill marraige as id hate to get married only to find out i cant live with the guy lol)

job and home would be my biggest concerns...
whos job is better? whos more likley to find a good job after a relocate, ect (not everyone has the option to telecommute)
if both jobs are excelent whos more likely to get a good transfere...
depending on this it might even be better to keep things "long distance" untill the job search on either end proves fruitfull...

secondly is real estate...if one owns and the other rents, id be more apt to move into the owned place,
if both rent whos got the better rental deal? limitations on pets? monthly rent? better landlord? conveniences and inclusions? ect...
if both own, which home is better suited to the long term ideals of the couple, mabe one would make a better family home, mabe one would be easier to sell than the other ect...

and if all else failed mabe BOTH should move and meet halfway lol

Old 12-16-2010, 10:47 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,322,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
like others have said...
it would be very situational...
This is the only logical answer.

Every situation is different
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships