Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:30 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,829 times

Advertisements

This is to piggyback on another thread, talking about the worst relationship advice. Here is mine

- When a man loves you, you'll know. When he doesn't, you'd be confused. Every.single.time I have been confused in a relationship, the man did not love me. Every time.

-The Rules- Now this book usually gets a bad rap and I am not saying I listen to every single advice (too strict). But, it works for me. Every single time I initiate contact with a guy or do too much for a guy, it never works. When I ignore a guy or play hard too get, it works like a charm. However, I must say that it probably works on a certain type of guy... the alpha guy I am most attracted to. This probably won't work on a beta male.

-He is just not that into you- This is self explanatory. Basically if you have to rack your brain or make excuses for a guy, HE IS JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU.

Now even though I am aware of these things, I slip occasionally, particularly when I meet a devastatingly handsome guy. Let's just say I temporarily lose my mind. I am wondering if I need to tattoo these pointers on me so I don't forget.

What are yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 04:51 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,058 times
Sassy, Single, and Satisfied by Michelle McKinney Hammond! Really shows that being happy about being single is great from a Godly perspective. Before reading this book I actually cried at night because I was like the only single girl at my school.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman. I got this book as a gift at my wedding shower and although I wondered about the person who gave it to me (was it appropriate as a gift right before my wedding) once I read it, I realized things that were going to make my marriage work before we were at the point that so many couples are and on the verge of breaking up or divorce. I would recommend all of his books. I like that they aren't just mumbo jumbo, religious, or preachy. They have statistics to back up their findings and I valued that.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:02 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Are You the One for Me by Barbara DeAngelis. Cuts through the myths and nonsense to get to the core of compatibility.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:05 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Everything in "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands". By Dr. Laura Schlessinger.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-10-2011, 05:09 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet....poetic essays on Joy, Sorrow, Pain, Marriage, Children, Reason and Passion.....and on Love, the last of which includes:

"And think not you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course".

gbh

Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
This is to piggyback on another thread, talking about the worst relationship advice. Here is mine

- When a man loves you, you'll know. When he doesn't, you'd be confused. Every.single.time I have been confused in a relationship, the man did not love me. Every time.

-The Rules- Now this book usually gets a bad rap and I am not saying I listen to every single advice (too strict). But, it works for me. Every single time I initiate contact with a guy or do too much for a guy, it never works. When I ignore a guy or play hard too get, it works like a charm. However, I must say that it probably works on a certain type of guy... the alpha guy I am most attracted to. This probably won't work on a beta male.

-He is just not that into you- This is self explanatory. Basically if you have to rack your brain or make excuses for a guy, HE IS JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU.

Now even though I am aware of these things, I slip occasionally, particularly when I meet a devastatingly handsome guy. Let's just say I temporarily lose my mind. I am wondering if I need to tattoo these pointers on me so I don't forget.

What are yours?
I agree with all of the above.

Unfortunately, when I started reading any advice, it was already too late. Truth be told, though, taking advice of this nature is not exactly my forte.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post

This.

I wish I had this book when I was in high school. Every girl should read it. It should be 9th grade homework.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:29 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet....poetic essays on Joy, Sorrow, Pain, Marriage, Children, Reason and Passion.....and on Love, the last of which includes:

"And think not you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course".

gbh
I enjoy his writings.

~When love beckons to you, follow him,
Though his ways are hard and steep.
And when his wings enfold you yield to him,
Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you . . . .

Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
Codependent No More by Melody Beattie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships