Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:26 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times

Advertisements

The long conversational texting is the most annoying thing ever. I think when people do that it's cause they are just talking at you and not really looking for a reply.

Sometimes it's nice though like when you're sitting in a doctors office waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Its either that or he has a 300 anytime minutes plan like my grand mother and is trying to save it for emergencies
Your grand mother texts?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 AM

733 posts, read 1,664,023 times
Hmm, I like a mixture of both. Texts throughout the day, and a call at night.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
Hmm, I like a mixture of both. Texts throughout the day, and a call at night.
Me too.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:31 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,358,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Your grand mother texts?
lol. not at all but she has a cell phone plan with 300 anytime minute that she rarely uses. I'd pay good money to watch her "attempt" to the text tho...that'll be something..lol

Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
I agree. I think texts can be fine in limited-use situations, like if you're in a meeting and unable to talk, or whatever. But if the point of early courtship is to cultivate interest from the person you're courting, I think a phone call is a far more effective tool for building that personal connection. A string of texts rather than the personal connection of a call, or better yet, a date, doesn't do much. Now, if you're a surgeon and your only chance to contact your potential date is between surgeries at 3 AM, maybe a text is the best option. But in general, I think you have a better chance of success waiting a few hours until you can place a proper call, or else making sure that texts are just used as a sort of "snack" throughout the day rather than a real meal and that quality time is reserved for real conversations. Using texts as a substitution for quality time in phone calls may backfire.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Texting is impersonal, and really isn't condusive to conversation. To me, it's short messages to share information ("I'm running late & stuck in traffic", or "miss you, can't wait to see you tomorrow!") not way to have a conversation and get to know someone. Anytime I receive a text and I reply, if it looks like it's headed the route of a longer conversation, I immediately call. I can talk SO much faster than on the phone! Much rather talk for 10 minutes than type for half an hour!

But in terms of dating, brief spurts of information and one-liners aren't meaningful to building a relationship, because as others, and the OP said, it can get annoying, and there is so much more that you miss out with in written format rather than verbal. A sultry "Hi honey" on the phone is not even remotely the same as written in a text.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
The long conversational texting is the most annoying thing ever. I think when people do that it's cause they are just talking at you and not really looking for a reply.

Sometimes it's nice though like when you're sitting in a doctors office waiting.
I agree with everyone here: texting sometimes but usually calling for longer convos and sweet nothings.

HOWEVER, I have a friend where I try to call and she rarely answers the phone...even if I was just texting her, she won't pick up the phone to talk. Admitedly, she talks so fast and incoherently, I miss about a third of the conversation so texting is sometimes better with her.

So, for her, there's always a wall of text. It drives me nuts but I think this is the best way to deal with her. And yea, I can kind of see that she's talking at me. I sometimes wonder if she remembers she's my friend b/c I'll look a text and ask wtf? Does she not know that I don't give a crap if her boyfriend woke up with his hair standing straight up? There were 2 or 3 texts for that alone...you know, I can't get that time back, but what're gonna do?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:07 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,970 times
Definitely prefer a call. But sometimes when I'm not feeling very chatty (a text is okay. But not all the time, and not for long convos. My iPhone hates me and I end up with potential damnyouautocorrect candidates all the time.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I agree with everyone here: texting sometimes but usually calling for longer convos and sweet nothings.

HOWEVER, I have a friend where I try to call and she rarely answers the phone...even if I was just texting her, she won't pick up the phone to talk. Admitedly, she talks so fast and incoherently, I miss about a third of the conversation so texting is sometimes better with her.

So, for her, there's always a wall of text. It drives me nuts but I think this is the best way to deal with her. And yea, I can kind of see that she's talking at me. I sometimes wonder if she remembers she's my friend b/c I'll look a text and ask wtf? Does she not know that I don't give a crap if her boyfriend woke up with his hair standing straight up? There were 2 or 3 texts for that alone...you know, I can't get that time back, but what're gonna do?
Totally. I have a friend like that too. She admitted to me that she doesn't like talking on the phone. I ask, then why do you enjoy walls and walls-o-text then? Because she just wants to get it out and that's it.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
I don't get this whole texting thing. I mean, I have called women after getting their number and sometimes they don't answer and then they'll send a text instead. I mean, really? WTF? I believe in talking to someone on the phone, especially if its in the beginning and I want to get to know her or ask her out. I find women relying too much on text to communicate and I just think its lazy and impersonal. And yet many women complain about men and the lack of communication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships