Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:33 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
Sorry, not buying that: I have no repsect for either parent. Father a sadistic alcoholic that abused us mentally and my mom was the enabler.

I am not having a good relationship with either.

I do respect wonderful people, however, most notably Mother Teresa.

I treat people appropriately to their actions.

I do not open doors for murderers just because they might happen to be my parent.
Same here.. I haven't talked to my parents (Mom and Step Dad) in almost 7 years.. and they have been the best 7 years of my life.

Yet, I treat women very well. I basically looked at the way my parents were and did the exact opposite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 07:37 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
"I want him to have a good relationship with his mom"

Why is this even a issue when trying to find a mate? What if he didn't have a good mother? I never seen a man saying-"she must be real close to her mom"

Women and their odd dating requirements
For every woman I've met who stated this is something they want in their man, I've found just as many women who stated they DONT want a mama's boy....

Old 08-30-2011, 08:44 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
Quote:

Why is this even a issue when trying to find a mate? What if he didn't have a good mother? I never seen a man saying-"she must be real close to her mom"

This is not such a bad idea....especially since I've adopted a similar approach with women: Does she have a good relationship with her father...and men in general?

If she doesn't, you'll likely pay the price for every issue she has ever had with men in her life.

At the same time, if she has a good relationship with her father but she is a daddy's girl - watch out there too....you'll never really be her #1 man.

But this is just one factor among many...just because her Dad was an a$$___ does not mean she must be damaged forever (and for that matter, maybe your Mom was selfish narcissist that no one gets along with).

So, I think its a fair question for a woman to ask about a man...provided she digs a little deeper on other aspects of you as well.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
Quote:

Is there anything you do understand

Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 AM

133 posts, read 183,145 times
It's not an issue for me. I look at the man for who HE is first and foremost. If he has certain issues because of his background or family, then those issues stand on their own. The relationship with the parents may be the CAUSE, but the cause is sort of meaningless. Some guys have trouble in relationships because of a bad ex-girlfriend. So are we going to not date any guy who has a bad relationship with an ex-girlfriend?

DH has a terrible relationship with his parents, but he's worked through issues that this caused. They were not emotionally supportive. They were actually quite emotionally abusive. Having a relationship with them only hurt him tremendously. He is a much more confident, happy, and stable person without them in his life.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:48 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Is there anything you do understand
I understand it's a possibility you may be on meds

Old 08-30-2011, 02:38 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
So good to laugh!!!

Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:

I haven't read all 10 pages of this thread, but the people who said it's a very valid point are 100% on-target.
even more to the point-- one's relationship with his mother during his growing-up years. if a guy had a mother who mistreated him, or treated him like a spoiled brat, he's gonna carry that with him into his relationships with girls/women later on.

I personally don't have a lot of 'requirements,' but that one's gotta be near the top of the list.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:08 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
Quote:
wrong yet again

Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
My husband has a great mom. I have the best MIL. They have a great relationship and he happens to be, coincidentally or not, an excellent man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships