Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:02 PM

339 posts, read 837,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

In modern-day America, we have a dating battlefield where both men and women have fought to a standstill. Women stubbornly refuse to get married because they cannot attract the same caliber of man for a relationship as they can for a short-term fling. Men, on the other hand, face a number of disincentives to marry, one of them being the fact that many of their potential brides are over-the-hill, washed up, used up, has-beens. Throw in a legal system that is fundamentally tilted in women's favor and you have the perfect recipe for the dissolution of modern marriage.
Yep. It's gonna get even worse. The unmarried rates of women in America are going reach 90% if things don't change soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 03:12 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
Yep. It's gonna get even worse. The unmarried rates of women in America are going reach 90% if things don't change soon.
Women do the picking & at the end of the day its on them. If we could figure out the way women think it'd go a long way, but we're far from that.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:26 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Like what "alpha" means?
Haha. Cute, but not quite.

The terms "alpha" and "beta" can be understood just as easily as the words "cool" and "tight." Only an idiot would argue down a teenager over whether her iPhone is "cool" because, when said idiot touched it, it was in fact very hot. This is a mere transposition of meanings that any person of any reasonable degree of intelligence can grasp. The same goes for "alpha" and "beta." It's just that people pretend they can't understand how the words are used in that context because they're unwilling to detach themselves from all other associations with the words (particularly the positive associations of the word "alpha").

That's why most comments sound like this.

"No, no, Bajan. Alpha males are as strong as lions and as gentle as lambs. They're captains of industry. They're fearless warriors. They're leaders of nations. They are not insecure jerks whose only mission in life is to score with hot girls! Why don't you go back to Insecure Land with all of the other insecure, superficial jerks and comfort yourself at night with your superficial fantasies born of your massive insecurity!!!"

Given the fervor of some of these responses, it makes me wonder who's really insecure...

"Alpha," in the PUA context, is a guy who's the ladies' first choice. "Beta," in the PUA context, is a guy who is not the ladies' first choice. There are men who possess wonderful qualities (in a conventional sense) but are not desired by women, thus making them betas. Then there are men who do not possess any of the conventional metrics of success, yet women desire them, thus making them alphas. Not hard to understand at all. Unless, that is, you don't want to understand because the concept bothers you on some deeper emotional level.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:34 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
"Alpha," in the PUA context, is a guy who's the ladies' first choice. "Beta," in the PUA context, is a guy who is not the ladies' first choice. Not hard to understand at all.
I know you don't think it's difficult to understand, but I don't think the PUAs can agree what's alpha or beta either. My husband, for instance, is handsome, both in my opinion and others'. Women flirt with him a lot. Therefore, he's an alpha. I can buy that--of course I want to be married to an alpha. But some PUA-types here have said that married men are chumps and suckers, therefore beta. Well, he can't be both, can he?

My little quip was meant to be a joke, not a hijack, so I'll give you the last word about it so we can get back to the topic.

To tie into the rating thread, is a Plain Jane a 5 (neutral) or a 3/4 (unattractive)?

Old 09-08-2011, 03:38 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,747 times
Quote:
I know you don't think it's difficult to understand, but I don't think the PUAs can agree what's alpha or beta either. My husband, for instance, is handsome, both in my opinion and others'. Women flirt with him a lot. Therefore, he's an alpha. I can buy that--of course I want to be married to an alpha. But some PUA-types here have said that married men are chumps and suckers, therefore beta. Well, he can't be both, can he?

My little quip was meant to be a joke, not a hijack, so I'll give you the last word about it so we can get back to the topic.

To tie into the rating thread, is a Plain Jane a 5 (neutral) or a 3/4 (unattractive)?

PUA's are worthless sacks of sh*t anyway. They're generally miserable people(see Paul Janka on Dr. Phil) and have no real relationship skills. They don't teach you how to maintain relationships. Just how to pick up women.

Women flirt with me as well, often with me just keeping to myself. Does that automatically make me alpha?

Old 09-08-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
PUA's are worthless sacks of sh*t anyway. They're generally miserable people(see Paul Janka on Dr. Phil) and have no real relationship skills. They don't teach you how to maintain relationships. Just how to pick up women.

Women flirt with me as well, often with me just keeping to myself. Does that automatically make me alpha?
Really? I thought you were all over that stuff!

Old 09-08-2011, 03:44 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,747 times
Quote:
Really? I thought you were all over that stuff!

???

Old 09-08-2011, 03:50 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
"Alphaness," if there's such a word, is determined by the strength of women's attraction to a man. If hot women are attracted to him, then he's alpha.

Quote:
Compris.

Quote:
She's a 5.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
???
I just misunderstood something or had the wrong impression, I guess.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:45 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Haha. Cute, but not quite.

The terms "alpha" and "beta" can be understood just as easily as the words "cool" and "tight." Only an idiot would argue down a teenager over whether her iPhone is "cool" because, when said idiot touched it, it was in fact very hot. This is a mere transposition of meanings that any person of any reasonable degree of intelligence can grasp. The same goes for "alpha" and "beta." It's just that people pretend they can't understand how the words are used in that context because they're unwilling to detach themselves from all other associations with the words (particularly the positive associations of the word "alpha").

That's why most comments sound like this.

"No, no, Bajan. Alpha males are as strong as lions and as gentle as lambs. They're captains of industry. They're fearless warriors. They're leaders of nations. They are not insecure jerks whose only mission in life is to score with hot girls! Why don't you go back to Insecure Land with all of the other insecure, superficial jerks and comfort yourself at night with your superficial fantasies born of your massive insecurity!!!"

Given the fervor of some of these responses, it makes me wonder who's really insecure...

"Alpha," in the PUA context, is a guy who's the ladies' first choice. "Beta," in the PUA context, is a guy who is not the ladies' first choice. There are men who possess wonderful qualities (in a conventional sense) but are not desired by women, thus making them betas. Then there are men who do not possess any of the conventional metrics of success, yet women desire them, thus making them alphas. Not hard to understand at all. Unless, that is, you don't want to understand because the concept bothers you on some deeper emotional level.
I think it bothers folk because not everybody can relate. I do agree that an alpha can be depicted by being wanted by hot women, but it's very specific. Your post has me thinking a bit more, and this will further blur the alpha/beta line. It's back to water seeking it's own level. A guy can be an alpha in one scene, but not necessarily another. This goes back to the experiment Freedom and I were interested in doing (can't remember if it was this thread).

So, you have a man that attracts women at the local dive bar. He's a big fish in a small pond. He sports his leather jacket and plays pool well. He's a tough guy and the local female bar flies are on him like shyte. Put him in a club in your neck of the woods (DC) and he probably wouldn't fare very well. He will be ignored and if he bothers the ladies (providing the door guy lets him), he'll get bounced out. He will go from alpha to beta.

Then, take the alpha guy at your club in DC. He has all the bling, gelled hair, muscle shirt, plays the girls, does the peacocking, and is a happy guy. Take him from that DC club and place him at a Dropkick Murphys show. He'd get laughed out (if not worse) and is reduced from alpha to beta. Take the guy from the Murphys show (thinking of my ex). He has his dreads, he's an excellent musician (an alpha in his world), he's hot, etc, and put him in the after dinner party following a scientific conference. He wouldn't even be let in, but if he were he would be deemed a pariah. He'd go from alpha to beta.

Any how, there are dozens of scenarios we can come up with where a man would be deemed both an alpha and a beta depending on the context. It's the context that is typically ignored in this forum. I can only assume this is due to a lack of life experience and clearly age doesn't necessarily bring it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships