Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Easier said than done.

First off most of the crap is not mine...so for everyone to part with their "stuff", it's always an arguement.

Second, if there isn't any REAL deadline, it never gets done. My husband has said "put it in a pile and I'll toss it all in the truck and take it over"...and the reality is the pile sits there for weeks and everyone picks their crap out of the pile.

The last time we moved we rented a dumpster. We had a lot of extra building supplies in our basement that we needed to get rid of and I started tossing whatever I could find in there as well.
Hoarders - Episodes, Video & Schedule - aetv.com

Old 10-21-2011, 08:22 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
At our former residence I would keep stuff for an indefinite period and would clean house on occasion. The criteria was: useable stuff to Goodwill, stuff I recognize wasn't ever going to be used went to the trash, stuff I couldn't remember what it was for went to the trash.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:23 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
That is some scary stuff!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:24 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
My kids laugh at me because we have bins and bins labled "memories,do not open" in our garage and attic!I tell them when we start to find dead cats in our house then we'll talk!! I can't part with any of their baby stuff and early childhood drawings etc.!!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
That is some scary stuff!
My ex- had this "disease" before it was fashionable - one of the reasons she's my ex-.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,012,620 times
Quote:
If you are just going to mash it into a bag, why not move it dirty and wash it when you get there???

I love moving. It's a good excuse to purge the entire house of all the crap we've collected.

I'm really, really itchy for a move but it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.
Divorce works pretty well for purging stuff too....

Old 10-21-2011, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 852 times
I am looking some one special for my rest life who can make me happy at each corner in my life.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:54 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atique View Post
I am looking some one special for my rest life who can make me happy at each corner in my life.
I hope you have many corners.......

Old 10-22-2011, 06:25 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
My ex- had this "disease" before it was fashionable - one of the reasons she's my ex-.
So we are renovating our kids bathroom and there is the giant, builders-grade mirror sitting in the hallway. When we took it down he said "do you want to put this in the attic?"

WTF for???

I can understand keeping a tile or two just in case we crack one and have to replace but a big fat NO to the mirror!

We have boxes of old playboys, baseball cards, little die cast army men, trains...etc. I'm not sure WHY he feels the need to keep these things...he never even looks at them!

I toss/freecycle most everything. I did keep my kids outfits that they wore home from the hospital but that's all I have from them. A few pieces of artwork as well...IF they spent a good amount of time on it we keep it...if it's a piece of paper they had to color...it gets tossed. I hate crap and I cannot stand clutter and papers!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
So we are renovating our kids bathroom and there is the giant, builders-grade mirror sitting in the hallway. When we took it down he said "do you want to put this in the attic?"

WTF for???

I can understand keeping a tile or two just in case we crack one and have to replace but a big fat NO to the mirror!

We have boxes of old playboys, baseball cards, little die cast army men, trains...etc. I'm not sure WHY he feels the need to keep these things...he never even looks at them!

I toss/freecycle most everything. I did keep my kids outfits that they wore home from the hospital but that's all I have from them. A few pieces of artwork as well...IF they spent a good amount of time on it we keep it...if it's a piece of paper they had to color...it gets tossed. I hate crap and I cannot stand clutter and papers!
A lot of times hoarders will share certain triggers - they've usually had someone leave them, either through abandonment or death; they're susceptible to depression; or, as some psychologists postulate, it's simply a matter of "a natural and adaptive instinct gone bad".

It used to be lumped into a general OCD diagnosis, but now the "experts" have given it its own category.

The A&E show "Hoarders" brings back lots of bad memories for me; in fact, some of the cases shown don't seem as bad as the one I lived through. What I don't understand is why they allow the hoarder to stay on-site during the clean-up process. It isn't as if that helps them - in fact, it always leads to emotional break-downs, broken trusts and tearful scenes.

Of course, it probably increases the ratings also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships