Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 02:18 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times

Advertisements

I'm not. At least I know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 02:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I'm not. At least I know it.
Why not?

Btw, I know a lot of people I think are totally horrible SOs who are in relationships with people who think their behavior is totally acceptable.

So it may just be a matter of opinion.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:39 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,214,431 times
I try to be as nice as I can and just be myself.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:50 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
I try as hard as I possible can to put the needs of my wife ahead of my own. I love what the bible has to say about how us men are to treat our wives. We are to love them like Jesus loved the church and be willing to lay our lives down for her if necessary.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:55 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What would be interesting would be to list the reasons you think you are a good SO and then see if those are the same reasons your SO thinks you're a good SO.
Yea, that is an interesting question and I asked my husband.

His list was longer than mine, which is nice, tho I won't cover it all.
"You're my best friend and lover. You're supportive, loving and a hard worker. You make things happen in our lives, you're a mover/shaker, you're beautiful, an awesome cook. You put up with me and I'm a pain the ass" and some other stuff.

How I'm a good SO to him from my pov. I'm loyal and I care about who he is, what he's about, and where he's going. I'm focused on helping him achieve his goals and have directed a great deal of energy and resources in that area. I recognize the importance of his awesome family and also funnel energy into them (and there's a lot of them!). I do cook for him on most days and I'm a pretty good cook. A majority of my priorities involve creating and maintaining a copacetic life for our family.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:22 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I try as hard as I possible can to put the needs of my wife ahead of my own. I love what the bible has to say about how us men are to treat our wives. We are to love them like Jesus loved the church and be willing to lay our lives down for her if necessary.
Other than laying down one's life, which most of us will not be called upon to do -
I hear that often but never understood how Jesus loved the church and how that can be an analogy to a relationship between two people. It just sounds so weak, a lame thing to say to get out of really helping around the house, if you ask me.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:49 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Other than laying down one's life, which most of us will not be called upon to do -
I hear that often but never understood how Jesus loved the church and how that can be an analogy to a relationship between two people. It just sounds so weak, a lame thing to say to get out of really helping around the house, if you ask me.
Contrary to what you say here, it's a very powerful statement and in no manner, form or way does it have anything to do with getting out of anything. Jesus loved the Church in that He gave His all , His everything! for that love. It was a totally unselfish love. It didn't ask, "What's in this for me"? It's also an unconditional and permanent love. It's a love that gives and does not take.

As you say, it's not an analogy at all but a pattern for the kind of relationship that woud be perfect. Of course we fall far short of these examples but if it's our desire to live that kind of life we can truly say, "I love my wife".

As far as proscribing roles such as housework or anything else for that matter it does not address in any way. My wife is an engineer. Who do you think builds most things around here? LOL.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:50 PM

346 posts, read 507,600 times
I am loyal to him.
I am supportive of him, his choices and goals. I am willing to uproot, change lifestyles, take risks so he can achieve his dreams and goals.
I tell him when I disagree, and at times keep him grounded and "in line"
I take care of the home and kids (so does he).
I love and take care of his kids from his first marriage.
I am generous and giving.
I am "hot" and "sexy" according to him.
I show and express my love daily, through the small things.
I am a true, hard working partner.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:57 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Let's see... This takes some thought.

1. Whenever I cheat on him, I take great care to make sure he doesn't find out, thus saving him pain and heartbreak.

2. When he makes me dinner, I always compliment him on it, whether it was good or not.

3. During lovemaking sessions, I always allow him to pleasure me first, so he is spared any guilty feelings.

4. Since I bring in so much more money than he does, I allow him to lavish me with gifts, and thus cling to some semblance of manhood.

Basically, I think it all adds up to me just being an overall thoughtful, caring person to my SO.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:10 PM

530 posts, read 779,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Let's see... This takes some thought.

1. Whenever I cheat on him, I take great care to make sure he doesn't find out, thus saving him pain and heartbreak.

2. When he makes me dinner, I always compliment him on it, whether it was good or not.

3. During lovemaking sessions, I always allow him to pleasure me first, so he is spared any guilty feelings.

4. Since I bring in so much more money than he does, I allow him to lavish me with gifts, and thus cling to some semblance of manhood.

Basically, I think it all adds up to me just being an overall thoughtful, caring person to my SO.
Umm......I'll have what she's having. But make mine a double.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships