Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:57 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Mexico City politicians want to help newlyweds avoid the hassle of divorce by giving them an easy exit strategy: temporary marriage licenses.Left wing politicians in the city's assembly – who have already legalized gay marriage – proposed a reform to the civil code this week that would allow couples to decide on the length of their commitment, opting out of a lifetime.
The minimum marriage contract would be for two years and could be renewed if the couple stays happy. The contracts would include provisions on how children and property would be handled if the couple splits.
"The proposal is, when the two-year period is up, if the relationship is not stable or harmonious, the contract simply ends," said Leonel Luna, the Mexico City assembly member who co-authored the bill.
"You wouldn't have to go through the tortuous process of divorce," said Luna, from the lefwing Party of the Democratic Revolution, which has the most seats in the 66-member chamber. Luna says the proposed law is gaining support and he expects a vote by the end of this year.
Around half of Mexico City marriages end in divorce, usually in the first two years. The capital, one of the world's largest cities, is much more liberal than the rest of the country, where the divorce rate is significantly lower although on the rise.
Mexico City considers fixed-term marriage licences | World news | The Guardian

Do you agree that this would be a good thing? Would headaches of divorce would be avoided? Would it help relationships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 12:07 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
It's a great idea, and long overdue to be tried for awhile and the results evaluated. Of course, it's an OPTION for people to choose if they wish - they can still opt for the 'til-death-do-you-part version. Its sounds like a rational approach, and as the issues surrounding termination of the relationship are predefined, should provide a much better outcome when and if it does happen.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:11 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,955 times
I think it's a headache. Wedding costs a lot of money. Family comes together. Too many drama. Gossip. Divorce. Marriage is a roller coaster, not just heaven 24/7. The more I read the more I hear excuses. JMO.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:20 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
Mexico City considers fixed-term marriage licences | World news | The Guardian

Do you agree that this would be a good thing? Would headaches of divorce would be avoided? Would it help relationships?
No, I don't think it would. Divorce is already relatively easy to obtain--in theory. Sign a few papers, done. The reality, however, is often messy and expensive. I don't see how the non-renewal of marriage, which sounds like an annulment, would solve those issues. It's not going to make people any more agreeable to what's happening or fight any less over children or assets. It sounds like a different road to the same destination.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:22 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,306 times
I'm sure the wedding industry will be thrilled with this news. And handling the division of property and child custody would be a blast.

This will probably be a good idea for some people. Personally I don't support it. It cheapens the idea of marriage - a short-term business contract basically. If they don't think they can last for longer than 2 years, then why bother getting married?

Old 09-30-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
This will probably be a good idea for some people. Personally I don't support it. It cheapens the idea of marriage - a short-term business contract basically. If they don't think they can last for longer than 2 years, then why bother getting married?
Rather than cheapen marriage, I think this gives it more value. Knowing that it can end should make you more aware of the value, and the corresponding need to put in the effort to ensure renewal of the license. If you don't take something for granted, you tend to value it more.

Marriage is a business contract of sorts, enforced by the state - just with a lot of exit clauses for non-performance with little penalty!

Old 09-30-2011, 12:33 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Rather than cheapen marriage, I think this gives it more value. Knowing that it can end should make you more aware of the value, and the corresponding need to put in the effort to ensure renewal of the license. If you don't take something for granted, you tend to value it more.

Marriage is a business contract of sorts, enforced by the state - just with a lot of exit clauses for non-performance with little penalty!
I don't think this gives marriage more value. Why bother to work out problems in your marriage if you know that you have a way out in two years?

Marriage is a business contract for those who chose to treat it like a business contract IMO.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:34 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
In a Catholic country of all places?!

Quote:
Personally I don't support it. It cheapens the idea of marriage - a short-term business contract basically.
I feel the same way.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I don't think this gives marriage more value. Why bother to work out problems in your marriage if you know that you have a way out in two years?
I think that if you value the relationship, you will try to prevent its ending, so will work harder knowing that you have a deadline rather than assuming you can put off trying to improve things or solve problems. If you don't value it, then whether the marriage is temporary or initially permanent, you will find a way to end it. Long term marriage guarantees nothing - except more trouble and conflict if it does end.

The article noted that most of the divorces currently happen within two years anyway, so obviously traditional marriage hasn't given them any incentive to stay together.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:46 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
If you have a strong marriage, this type of license won't affect that. No reason to get upset about something that should have no bearing on you.

Marriage is not what it used to be. Time for a change, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships