Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 02:22 PM

232 posts, read 632,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I am very obese and wanted to know if I should focus on losing weight before going out. I heard people don't like you if you are obese.

I am not saying don't try dating as you go, but go ahead and lose the weight as your primary goal. It'll not only help you physically, but mentally as well. You should always try to be happy with who your are, but that is not an excuse to be a lazy sloth or have no discipline for the foods you eat. Be happy with who you are and try to be the best that you can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 02:34 PM

861 posts, read 1,124,547 times
Quote:
I am very obese and wanted to know if I should focus on losing weight before going out. I heard people don't like you if you are obese.
That's not true...you might not get approached as much as some one who is slimmer but there are still people who have no problem with a little chub...So it's really up to you, if being obese is affecting your confidence level and the way you feel about your self then losing the weight couldn't hurt....

Old 10-02-2011, 02:36 PM

601 posts, read 1,028,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post
I am not saying don't try dating as you go, but go ahead and lose the weight as your primary goal. It'll not only help you physically, but mentally as well. You should always try to be happy with who your are, but that is not an excuse to be a lazy sloth or have no discipline for the foods you eat. Be happy with who you are and try to be the best that you can be.

My obesity has a bigger impact on my mental health than my physical health. I just hope my mental health improves if I lose a bunch of weight.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:46 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I disagree with all of the above posters. Lots of fat people have a life, date, get married, have kids, and they don't let life pass them by because they are hung up over their weight.

You may have less to choose from, as the pool of people who are attracted to a fat person is smaller, but that does not mean you can't find a great person, and have a great relationship.

Don't let people who are biased against fat people being happy, ruin your day. There is someone who would be happy to date you. Fat haters need to chill.

Accept yourself, and be happy. If you are on a diet program, that is great, but don't hold back your life or anything you want due to weight.

The pursuit of happiness is a marathon, not a sprint. Go for it.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:32 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:

Obese people go on dates, have relationships and get married all the time. For one thing there are alot of other obese people out there who are also single and looking for a date. There are also some people who just dont care about whether or not thier spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend is a bit bigger. Might being obese limit your pool of prospectives??? yea it probably will, but then again some of those people who may reject you for wieght may be a bit shallow and its better to know that before you date them anyhow. The real question is are YOU unhappy with being overwieght?? Is being obese healthy, well we all know its not. I used to be bigger and have lost the wieght, I can do so much more physically. In my case I am happy I dealt with the problem. If you are ok with being obese and accept the health risk, then that is your call to make. Some people want to eat what they want to eat, and are perfectly happy being heavy. However if being obese is a burden to you, and makes you unhappy then by all means do something about it. Either way you go it should not stop you from dating.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,619,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I disagree with all of the above posters. Lots of fat people have a life, date, get married, have kids, and they don't let life pass them by because they are hung up over their weight.

You may have less to choose from, as the pool of people who are attracted to a fat person is smaller, but that does not mean you can't find a great person, and have a great relationship.

Don't let people who are biased against fat people being happy, ruin your day. There is someone who would be happy to date you. Fat haters need to chill.

Accept yourself, and be happy. If you are on a diet program, that is great, but don't hold back your life or anything you want due to weight.

The pursuit of happiness is a marathon, not a sprint. Go for it.
But the OP asked a question and we answered it.. dont fault us for it.. I think the OP needs to want to loose weight for their own good not to please others and that was my point.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:21 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
Quote:
My obesity has a bigger impact on my mental health than my physical health. I just hope my mental health improves if I lose a bunch of weight.
It should do, thats why its worth it, for your physical and mental well being. I am fit, but my reason for doing it isn't primarly for any dates, thats just a nice spinoff. The way I look at it your body and health, bare nothing, is the most important thing you have as a person.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:42 AM

351 posts, read 975,548 times
Quote:
Dating and weight loss should be independent of one another. Loose weight for yourself, not for someone else. If you want to date someone, start now. It's just dating. Practice makes perfect!

Old 10-03-2011, 09:04 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Best post on this forum ever. But really though, yes OP you should get in shape before you even consider dating. You see, overweight men are at the absolute bottom of the dating totem pole. No woman even wants to be seen holding hands with a fat guy. Even overweight women don't want to date fat guys. 30-50 pounds is the difference between being the annoying fat guy who never shuts up and a charming and witty man.

Ok I'm just expousing some thoughts there but guys should get in shape anyway. Whether they want to date or not.
This post is not true.

I am overweight and have no problem dating a fat guy. I think both fat and skinny guys can be attractive. Fat guys are like over sized teddy bears which can be super cute. I don't care what people think if we hold hands in public or wherever. It only matters that I am happy. I won't sacrifice being happy just for some stranger I don't even know so saying oh your boyfriend is ugly or your boyfriend is fat. Please.

I disagree with overweight men being at the bottom of the "dating poll" that is your opinion but I think overall asian men are at the bottom but definitely not fat guys.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Haven't you ever seen any TV sitcoms? You have to be fat, balding, and stupid to score an attractive, in-shape, committed wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships