Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 04:45 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Simply can't relate to or respect this kind of lifestyle.

It seems self indulgent, self centered, sacrilegious and demeaning.

Not to mention, I don't share the good thing I've got.

But maybe that's just me
That ^^ pretty much says it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 04:52 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I think my biggest thing against this lifestyle is that you can't love two people the same as you can just one. I would think at some point you would become more attatched to someone in the relationship & then feelings would get hurt.
Exactly!

Falling in love with one person is complicated enuf...

How can someone manage being in love with two at once...

I've been in "Friends With Benefits" relationships before when someone ended up 'caring' when they werent supposed to, that was bad enuf.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:03 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,965 times
Quote:
I think my biggest thing against this lifestyle is that you can't love two people the same as you can just one. I would think at some point you would become more attatched to someone in the relationship & then feelings would get hurt.
yup, that's the way I see it. It's definitely not for everyone...

Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post

Falling in love with one person is complicated enuf...

How can someone manage being in love with two at once...
I think it means you're not really in love with the people...which is sad.

I mean, you can have love for alot of people, but honestly I think being in love is very different...

Instead of having one great thing, it's like you settle for many just OK thngs. You (they) avoid getting hurt by being half-assed. Lame.

I dealt with someone once who I later found out was into that sort of thing; I couldn't hang. I'm all or nothing.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:47 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
My romantic/emotional side says no, my 'other' brain says 'might be interesting .'

In the long run something best left to the swingers. Once you settle down with a family and kids etc you probably shouldn't be sleeping around...

Old 10-13-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I think it means you're not really in love with the people...which is sad.

I mean, you can have love for alot of people, but honestly I think being in love is very different...

Instead of having one great thing, it's like you settle for many just OK thngs. You (they) avoid getting hurt by being half-assed. Lame.

I dealt with someone once who I later found out was into that sort of thing; I couldn't hang. I'm all or nothing.
Yeah while I've never been in a r/s (sad I know), when I like a girl I seem to have tunnel vision for that girl. Not that other females don't turn me on physically, but emotionally speaking I think I'm monogamous.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:52 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
Quote:
This IS a valid point, and it can certainly happen. I will point out that in different (monogamous) relationships you very likely love each person differently because of their unique nature, and some you love more than others, and each may want different things from a relationship than a different person would want.

It's not necessarily about loving equally or the same - it's about loving each for who they are. By analogy, even parents may have favorites or love each child differently according to their needs and personalities - but that does not mean they do not love all their children.

So if each person is getting what they want from the relationship, then it does not necessarily follow that anyone will get hurt. And like any relationship, it's not static - the people change and adapt with time and experience. Truly caring and communicative people can deal with this. Those who cannot will experience problems - just like a monogamous relationship.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
This IS a valid point, and it can certainly happen. I will point out that in different (monogamous) relationships you very likely love each person differently because of their unique nature, and some you love more than others, and each may want different things from a relationship than a different person would want.

It's not necessarily about loving equally or the same - it's about loving each for who they are. By analogy, even parents may have favorites or love each child differently according to their needs and personalities - but that does not mean they do not love all their children.

So if each person is getting what they want from the relationship, then it does not necessarily follow that anyone will get hurt. And like any relationship, it's not static - the people change and adapt with time and experience. Truly caring and communicative people can deal with this. Those who cannot will experience problems - just like a monogamous relationship.
One does wonder how innate exclusivity and monogamy is to us. I think on one hand there is something quaint about having that 'special someone', in the real world it doesn't always work like that, and maybe never will for some. Others might have a compelling need to love more than one, to experience different dimensions of love at the same time. Others find more fulfillment in an exclusive relationship. Alot of it depends on our paradigm/world view/values.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM

31,072 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
One does wonder how innate exclusivity and monogamy is to us. I think on one hand there is something quaint about having that 'special someone', in the real world it doesn't always work like that, and maybe never will for some. Others might have a compelling need to love more than one, to experience different dimensions of love at the same time. Others find more fulfillment in an exclusive relationship. Alot of it depends on our paradigm/world view/values.
"One does wonder how innate exclusivity and monogamy is to us."
It's not. It's almost purely a societal influence. There have been civilizations throughout history where this is the norm and their societies have not suffered for it.

Its societal conditioning that say's that it is unacceptable. It is our conditioning that prevents us from believing that it doesn't or can’t work. The exact same arguments that are used for the GLBT community apply here. It basically boils down to what transpires between 2 or 3 adults is their own business.

Like Ive said, this life style is not for me, but it is not my place to tell consenting adults what they can and can not do.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:00 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Oops! Your ignorance is showing, YAZ.
Hardly ignorant if'n one does not participate in such relationships.

Get tested.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships