Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I'm only a few years older than you! Also I've noticed that smaller/rural areas have more traditional values. Not sure why that is but it is.
Generally more conservative. My area is neither small nor rural, and my college is primarily composed of people from the DC, Baltimore, NJ and NYC/Long Island areas. Pretty much the worst places for 'traditional values' lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimco View Post
Okay...

It's the small things that matter most.
heh. I mean tell them and convince them. Most are looking for some lofty Brad Pitt/Albert Einstein hybrid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 01:25 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Generally more conservative. My area is neither small nor rural, and my college is primarily composed of people from the DC, Baltimore, NJ and NYC/Long Island areas. Pretty much the worst places for 'traditional values' lol.
geesh, sounds like it! One of my best friends grew up there (her dad was a naval officer), but she hated it..she's a "flaming conservative" haha. She likes AZ 10 times better.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
lol. well, I'm a few years younger than either of you, sooo... I guess I have a while to go before I either find someone or give up

Old 10-25-2011, 03:15 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
I think in my case perhaps I've watched too many chick flicks with women. Or maybe I've seen to many guys who I know didn't deserve the women they are with treat them like trash. I could be an old soul who believes that you should never let a women forget that you love her & how much she means to you. Then again maybe all women want is a good Srw & loads of money,

Old 10-25-2011, 07:35 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
geesh, sounds like it! One of my best friends grew up there (her dad was a naval officer), but she hated it..she's a "flaming conservative" haha. She likes AZ 10 times better.
I pretty much like the region and my uni otherwise, but that part definitely sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
lol. well, I'm a few years younger than either of you, sooo... I guess I have a while to go before I either find someone or give up
Hm? I'm pretty sure you're older than me lol, but that's still true.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
My answer was a smile and a as believe it or not, I taught my sons how to be this way!
That's great that you taught your sons to be so decent toward women! However, not all of us need to be taught. For some of us, that's just who we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrevenge View Post
Good for you! Unfortunately, I don't know why so many women in their 20's are losing their sense of romance. Is it lack of parental influence or the media? The ones I know come from divorced parents or their mom is trying to be like them and act like a sister rather than a mother while their dad is dating someone younger than them. I guess they get a dog eat dog view of the world and concentrate mostly on being as hot as they can and use sex as a gauge of how much a guy likes them.

I have to say men seem to be more romantic than women are now. Even though my girl friends want it deep down, they just don't know how to act or how to appreciate it. It's really odd. However, it's so nice to hear romance is still alive for some people. Gives me hope but, I think what I want is so rare (depth, lasting love & commitment) in our selfish, disposable society. Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath.
I can't speculate as to why younger women have lost touch with so-called "good men," but dysfunctional families don't necessarily propagate dysfunction among the children. My parents were plenty broken and I had no idea what a decent marriage looked like. I can't even remember them exchanging words with each other that weren't completely hostile. They sure taught me what not to do by example. I believe all those positive traits I picked up on my own were also picked up by my siblings. Perhaps having a dysfunctional family actually helped us? All of us now know that we will never settle for having a broken family life. I think we all will also carry on traits of being strong parents (As opposed to trying to be 'one of the kids') because of our own absentee "role models".

I think being a gentleman is a conscious choice some men make, as opposed to a learned trait. Good on them for making such a choice. When it comes to the romantic world, they become ever more valuable as they become fewer. Unfortunately it has now become difficult for women like you, myrevenge, to find us. Just like I have said at least 92348523495 times on this forum, if you can't find us that means you're looking for the wrong people in the wrong places. I'm not saying it's easy, but I do advocate broadening your romantic horizons a little. One day that perfect man WON'T find you. You need to keep searching you'll BOTH find each other. Don't give up, go after what you want and you might just find it .

Either that or I could give you the address for our secret lair

Old 10-25-2011, 03:38 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
its almost dead, but I found one of the few romantic/old fashioned men left. My boyfriend isn't super romantic but he does cute things like buy me a crock pot cause we talked about good food in the crock pot and I mentioned I didn't have one. He brings me breakfast some mornings, always opens my door and won't even let me open it actually (if I reach for the door he shouts at me "hey..you're not opening that door!" haha). He "allows" me the privilege to buy him a 10 dollar ticket to my dance concert cause he doesn't want me paying for anything (he has no idea that I've been scouting out xmas gifts for him so he'll have to deal with me buying things for him, ha!). He actually calls me every day, no matter how tired or sick he is, and hates texting like I do. One day I even caught my phone on the charger that I know he put there, simply cause he noticed it needed to be charged. There are many more things and its only been 2 months or so. Even though he doesn't surprise me with flowers or crazy dates (though we go out all the time) and what not, he still does sweet things for me and thats what counts. It took me over 2 years to find him..so I'm hoping this lasts a while. Its the little things that matter and if more women appreciated this, more men would be like this.
That's my kind of romance! I don't care about expensive dinners or parties.... it's the day to day stuff that I fall hard for. That's what will make your life liveable in the long run.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:06 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
its almost dead, but I found one of the few romantic/old fashioned men left. My boyfriend isn't super romantic but he does cute things like buy me a crock pot cause we talked about good food in the crock pot and I mentioned I didn't have one. He brings me breakfast some mornings, always opens my door and won't even let me open it actually (if I reach for the door he shouts at me "hey..you're not opening that door!" haha). He "allows" me the privilege to buy him a 10 dollar ticket to my dance concert cause he doesn't want me paying for anything (he has no idea that I've been scouting out xmas gifts for him so he'll have to deal with me buying things for him, ha!). He actually calls me every day, no matter how tired or sick he is, and hates texting like I do. One day I even caught my phone on the charger that I know he put there, simply cause he noticed it needed to be charged. There are many more things and its only been 2 months or so. Even though he doesn't surprise me with flowers or crazy dates (though we go out all the time) and what not, he still does sweet things for me and thats what counts. It took me over 2 years to find him..so I'm hoping this lasts a while. Its the little things that matter and if more women appreciated this, more men would be like this.
You're right, it's the little things that matter and returning it in kind is of utmost importance to keep it alive. You have a good man, hang on to him!
Deep down, most...if not all, long for a romantic relationship but very seldom find due to either not knowing how to be one or being drawn to people of different mindset.

To the OP: Romance is still alive, just not too apparent nowadays and we wonder, why...?

Old 10-25-2011, 05:27 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
That's great that you taught your sons to be so decent toward women! However, not all of us need to be taught. For some of us, that's just who we are.
I think you are somewhat right in your observation, and soon I will find out just who these males (and females) are, for tomorrow I am going to introduce the "love letter" to my juniors as we read the ones between John and Abigail Adams, and then watch a clip from A Knight's Tale where William is asking help in writing a love letter to Jocelyn. After both are discussed, I will teach a mini-course on how to write one. AND, from past experience, what will separate the men from the boys; and the women from the girls; and the true romantics from the "Cyrano" romantics will be in the "presentation" of the letter as well as what it says.

Last year, I had a girl put her letter in a blown up red balloon; and a boy make a box with a heart on it and painted the box red and the heart pink. Inside were rose petals with the love letter on top of them, impressing most of my students with their efforts (and as an aside, the boy who had the box, gave it to one of the girls in the same class and they are still a couple! ). However, I think the best letter ever written was from my German exchange student who had my female students in heavy sighs and oh's and almost tears as he read his 3 page letter aloud which was addressed to his girl back home; and I will never forget the opening line: "You are Berlin..."

So...i will see just what my students are made of Monday when they turn them in!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:28 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
It’s seems romance is more of a man to woman thing but it totally melts my heart when a woman romances me. It is a nice welcomed surprise. I do appreciate romance, taking action (look at my profile pic) as much as being the spectator.

Romance doesn’t necessarily have to involve roses or strawberries with chocolate. Kind little gestures count too. For example, when I work in the USA office I sometimes take my breakfast ingredients to the office and when there’s a break I go to the office kitchen to fix myself breakfast. I am used to using a small pot for my eggs because they come out in a round shape. Someone noticed this and one morning I saw a small egg pan on my desk with a ribbon. May sound silly for others but for me it brought a smile to my heart.

There was this other Asian girl who worked in another office and I saw her searching in the lawn for something. I approached and asked what she dropped. She told me she dropped a ring. I helped but we couldn’t find anything. Went to a supermarket and found one of those candy diamond rings and bought it for her. Wrote a note that said something like “Hey, it may not be the ring you lost but I can assure you it has a bigger rock” and left it at her desk while she was out. She later dropped a card with the receptionist in my office. When I came back, I was surprised to see a card at my desk thanking me for helping her and for the candy. Saw her later and she thought my candy ring was funny and thanked me. A few days later we were enjoying a nice dinner together after work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships