Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 02:25 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
My uncle tends to have a lack of respect for me, dismisses me, underestimates me, and is always trying to "teach me how to be a man".
To me, a man respects himself and treats others with respect. Your uncle does not appear to be one so I wouldn't take my "lessons" from him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 02:33 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
A man is an adult male.

All this talk about whether you're really a 'man' or a 'real man' because of your character, achievements etc is stupid. It has nothing to do with whether you're a 'man' or not. I know 'man' is used in a figurative sense but I find it stupid.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:45 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,990,050 times
I guess I can count my blessings.

I DO have a car. I DO have my own place. I DO have all my bills paid.

I just have a roommate help pay for the house.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:19 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
A man is self sufficient can find and enjoy his life and his time.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:19 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,161 times
Don't sweat your uncle. Sounds like you and he are just cut from different cloth. He apparantly cares about you; I would just take it with a grain of salt- no reason to make any waves there.
Are you able to go or are you trapped by this obligation toyour family (not to put a negative spin on it)--do you see yourself ever moving out?

Old 10-22-2011, 06:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,467,366 times
Quote:
I ask this because sometimes I don't know if people look at me as if I am man. I feel a lot of my family members don't think of me as a man, especially my uncle. My uncle tends to have a lack of respect for me, dismisses me, underestimates me, and is always trying to "teach me how to be a man". In his eyes I am still a 15 year old boy traversing my way into manhood. He's always trying to "teach me how to be a man" and since I don't have my own apartment, car, a better income than what I have now, a girlfriend he thinks I am inexperienced in life and tends to always shun me to an extent, which--of course--is highly annoying.

Now, I'll be the first to admit; I KNOW I don't have a car, my own place, a girlfriend (don't want a serious one either right now) and I know there's plenty of endeavors in my life I have not completed. Regardless, that's MY business and no one needs to tell me what I should be doing.

Tell your uncle this.

[a man stands up for himself]

Old 10-22-2011, 10:31 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
WOMEN: What makes a "man" to you?
Hmm. DNA?

Old 10-23-2011, 02:23 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,861 times
Quote:
I ask this because sometimes I don't know if people look at me as if I am man. I feel a lot of my family members don't think of me as a man, especially my uncle. My uncle tends to have a lack of respect for me, dismisses me, underestimates me, and is always trying to "teach me how to be a man". In his eyes I am still a 15 year old boy traversing my way into manhood. He's always trying to "teach me how to be a man" and since I don't have my own apartment, car, a better income than what I have now, a girlfriend he thinks I am inexperienced in life and tends to always shun me to an extent, which--of course--is highly annoying.

Now, I'll be the first to admit; I KNOW I don't have a car, my own place, a girlfriend (don't want a serious one either right now) and I know there's plenty of endeavors in my life I have not completed. Regardless, that's MY business and no one needs to tell me what I should be doing.

Personally, I feel like a man is someone who can take care of themselves and be able to care for the people that matter (I.e. family, close friends etc), take care of my personal responsibility and all that. Sure, I don't have a car (don't need one in this city I'm in) and don't have my own place but I certainly don't sit around at home and bum out. I won't claim myself as a man but I don't feel I am a little boy either. I take responsibility for my actions and for my faults in life and don't try to place any blame on anyone or anything else.

Anyway, the point of this thread is not me ranting but I want to know what women classify as a "man". Is having all these material things what makes you a man? Or is the character of the man that makes him a man?

Men, you're welcome to chime into but I definitely want to know women's view on a man.
How old are you?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:18 AM

284 posts, read 499,540 times
Quote:
I've been paying my own bills since I was 16, been working since I was 13, been cleaning around the house and doing other chores since I was able to walk and talk, cooking food for myself and occassionally my family since I was 10. When my younger brothers were born, I pretty much was their father since their father left. I am constantly productive in many ways.

My mother taught me how to pay the electric bill and rent and would send me to pay them when I was about 8 and I went started going to the markets once I began school for my mother. I've been doing laundry since I was a kid etc. I live with my mom but I more than take care of my own business and HERS as well. So...
You will note that i did make any statement s about your manhood, I simply defined what it is (in my eyes) to be an adult. Since you fall into that description, then that means you would be an adult... roght? No need to be defensive. I'm not the one attacking you.

Your uncle has no idea what it is to be a man ( based on what you've said here). His thoughts are outdated and harmful if you put too much stock in them. Independence comes in many forms, and none of them require you to date, own a car or live on your own. Ignore him.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:20 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,990,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
How old are you?
Old enough to make babies I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships