Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:33 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times

Advertisements

OK.

I read something that triggered a memory from years back.

I had a date with a woman a few years ago. I had lukewarm interest in her, but was really itching for it to go well, because I had just broken up with my ex. So, I was trying to be on my best game (I usually am).

Anyway, I tell her I'm a musician and I've played in bands before.

The response she gives me is, "You look more like someone who moves the equipment."

I was like, "WTF."

So, I realize there are a lot of blunt, aggressive, Darwinian types on this board.

So, my question is, "Why would you say something that would obviously insult somebody and insult their feelings?".

Because you just don't care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 05:35 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
Some people just don't have a filter between their brain and their mouth. They are typically miserable people who want to knock others down to their level. Toxic individuals.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:37 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
It's called decorum.

Come people have it, and some don't.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:39 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Sometimes they just make it too easy...

Old 11-02-2011, 05:47 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
I think that when someone is uncomfortable in their own skin they take pot shots at other people to chip away at what they think is someone's status or security to make the other person as uncomfortable as they are - to "even" the playing field.

Only an insecure person is going to do that.

On the other hand, she might just have a dry sarcastic sense of humor.

Quote:
The response she gives me is, "You look more like someone who moves the equipment."
Her comment could be seen either way.

Anyhow... "Lighten up Francis"....

Maybe she was simply attempting to poke fun at you to lighten up the mood. "Mr. I'm-A-Serious-Musician" should maybe have just taken it as a joke instead.

What you thought was your "best game" could have come across a little defensive.

I can't imagine why someone would go out of their way on a first date to cheeze off the person they're trying to make a good impression on - maybe she didn't intend the comment to be taken so harshly.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:48 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
How exactly did she say it? I can't say I'm too familiar with the stereotypical image of a roadie but I know a band's equipment can be pretty big and heavy, maybe she meant you looked like a strong ruffian lumberjack-type of person?

Old 11-02-2011, 05:58 PM

41 posts, read 47,033 times
She obviously thinks you look as though you wouldn't have an ounce of talent in you..........why.........cos she is a ***** and took her first look at you and assumed she new you already. One conceited sheila she is, narrowminded, selfish, arrogant and quite plainly rude.

I have no idea how she said it, what you look like or anything so who knows what gave her that impression.

A lesson well learned in life is NEVER EVER judge a book by its cover. Some people would do well to remember this.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
OK.

So, I realize there are a lot of blunt, aggressive, Darwinian types on this board.

Funny you say that. I just got a Rep from someone with a message stating something like "Congrats.. Both of you qualify for the Darwin award".

This was in response to a thread and post where I was talking about a situation I am involved in. I just found that to be very unnecessary and uncalled for.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:06 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,375 times
That's a rough line, but I think a lot of people are too sensitive. The truth hurts and plenty of people can't tell the difference between harsh honesty and jabs meant only to hurt.

Better to consider the intent behind the words and try to dig out the unbiased truth hidden within.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:18 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
That's a rough line, but I think a lot of people are too sensitive. The truth hurts and plenty of people can't tell the difference between harsh honesty and jabs meant only to hurt.

Better to consider the intent behind the words and try to dig out the unbiased truth hidden within.
I usually find the ones always that throw cynical jabs to be the most sensitive and insecure. Where I live, putting others down seems to be the norm. However, if I do it back they get upset.

Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships