Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I don't think anyone starting out cooking would be attempting gourmet dishes, LOL Obviously it takes common sense-- easy dishes, like baked chicken, pasta, such as homemade mac n cheese, or spaghetti, meatloaf, etc. are the best way to get acquainted with cooking.
I'll be honest, I started off cooking by trying hard stuff. Why? Because before that, I didn't know I loved to cook. I did, however, know I loved to eat various complex dishes, french food, etc. So it wouldn't have been worth it to me to bake some chicken. I dove in head first with things like boeuf bourguignon (the actual Julia Child recipe - got 7 hours?), quiches, various omelets and crepes, croque monsieur, whole roasted garlic lemon chickens, various roulades (some I even made up with ingredients that sounded good), puff pastries...all of these things with the sauces and all the other ingredients from scratch.

Anyway, each success spawned more interest and desire and drive. It removed the veil of mystery and intimidation and made me realize anyone can do this if they just try...omg, it is so much fun to cook!!!!! And it is so damn tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 02:39 PM

346 posts, read 507,600 times
I love food and I pay attention to nutrition, but out of all the qualities to consider in a lifetime mate, cooking abilities just aren't that important. I am capable of boiling water, reading a cook book, earning wages and finding a restaurant. I would be much more concerned with their values, ethics, how they handle money, if we have any shared interests, how they handle a crisis, how they treat me etc....

I could not cook well when we got married, he has always been great in the kitchen. Now I am much more capable in the kitchen after 15 years of marriage.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:46 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Default Well...

it's a bonus If she can cook..I do not, And if she is the same way it would be fun to learn together.

Not a deal breaker at all.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:19 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Mu GF lucked out she doesn't like to cook but I do she did admit that she might like it if we do it together. I like trying new things in the kitchen. But over all she would rather do dishes which I;m ok with I hate dishes

Old 11-09-2011, 05:44 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
big deal breaker

if she can't figure out certain ratios when it comes to cooking that's a strike against her.

I'm not into eating out or eating fast food because that's how you become slovenly and fat.

I can cook lots of things, a lot of the stuff I picked up from travelling and taking chances with certain places. I generally keep this to myself, and it comes out eventually. If I see something in her that relates to more than just a one another notch, I'll cook something with her. Not only does this get her soaking, but its also a great time to actually learn about each other. In general if she can't cook, or she doesn't even try to...well things will end pretty soon.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:26 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I'm a huge foodie, and love to cook. I find it relaxing and enjoyable. It's most important to me that my other half have a adventerous palate I suppose.

Even so, my SO is overall a good cook. I have to admit though, I think I've upped his game a little - he's very competitive.

Last edited by Mikala43; 11-09-2011 at 06:36 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 07:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think for a novice just starting to create meals would be daunting. Check online or watch the Food Network for things like 30-Minute recipes or 5-Ingredient meals, which will be simple for a beginner. You don't want to start out trying to roast a duck or make boeuf bourguignon. Heck, for true beginners, I always recommend making chili. There are a billion recipes out there, but they all involve simply chopping things up and simmering them in a pot for a while.

I cook. I'm not Julia Child, but I do spend weekend afternoons making meals that I can eat for lunches and dinners for the rest of the week. I think it's important for a man to be able to feed himself to an extent. I don't expect 5-star dining, but I'd be disappointed if his idea of making dinner was ordering a pizza or throwing a frozen brick into the microwave.
Yeah I'm not sure I have any natural affinity or instinct for the culinary arts (I love good food though) but I do enjoy cooking for myself and especially for others. Mostly I just follow recipes unless it's something I'm familiar with. I think if you have any idea of taste you'll be able to cook something decent.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
The days of every young wife knowing how to cook a delicious apple pie or roast dinner are long gone. Many men nowadays are also decent cooks because they have to cook for themselves.

It's certainly not a dealbreaker, more like a nice bonus. It'd be nice to be able to cook for each other, as they say a home-cooked meal is cooked with love.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:40 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
What do you mean you don't enjoy eating? It's kind of a basic human thing to like to eat - actually, not even just human but a basic living organism thing.
Well sure, I enjoy the feeling of hunger going away But like others have alluded to, I just don't really care what I'm eating. I could eat PB&J for lunch every day for years and not get sick of it (oh wait, I do that now). Dinners are mac n cheese, grilling chicken or burgers, crock pot recipes, salads, etc. Simple stuff.

I've had people cook really complicated, complex stuff...and I just don't appreciate it. At least, not enough to justify putting for the effort for it. I like rice more than I like risotto, I like baked potatoes more than garlic stuffed mashed potatoes, and I like an apple as much as I like apple pie.

Makes it pretty easy to throw together dinner.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Well sure, I enjoy the feeling of hunger going away But like others have alluded to, I just don't really care what I'm eating. I could eat PB&J for lunch every day for years and not get sick of it (oh wait, I do that now). Dinners are mac n cheese, grilling chicken or burgers, crock pot recipes, salads, etc. Simple stuff.

I've had people cook really complicated, complex stuff...and I just don't appreciate it. At least, not enough to justify putting for the effort for it. I like rice more than I like risotto, I like baked potatoes more than garlic stuffed mashed potatoes, and I like an apple as much as I like apple pie.

Makes it pretty easy to throw together dinner.
Honey? Is that you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships