Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I bet she's a he...
You never know... Careful with the Crying Game, OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 12:08 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You never know... Careful with the Crying Game, OP!
I hope not for the OP's sake, But meeting right away at least should solve that mystery.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
But meeting right away at least should solve that mystery.
As we know, just "meeting" doesn't always cut it. Just kidding. If the problem was the voice, it'll be revealed anyway. Maybe she doesn't like how she sounds on the phone... Who knows... We all have our idiosyncrasies. Up until the donotcall option came around a few years ago, many telemarketers were asking me if Mommy or Daddy were home!

Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 PM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
So I have exchanged some emails with this girl online and she seems really nice so I suggested chatting on the phone. However, I received a response saying that she cannot due to bad experiences in the past but we should meet up instead. This is the first time I have had this happen. Is this excess paranoia?

I want to meet her but how exactly is this going to work? When I get to the venue I can't even call her in case there is a problem (I'm delayed due to traffic or we can't find each other etc. - it's happened before).

And when exactly would she give me her #, after the 1st date or after N number of dates?? Or maybe after a background check and secret clearance?
Her request is completely reasonable. I went on a date or two like that before.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:41 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,851 times
Sounds like a freak. If she's that worried about giving out her number she shouldn't be dating anyone.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:15 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
As we know, just "meeting" doesn't always cut it. Just kidding. If the problem was the voice, it'll be revealed anyway. Maybe she doesn't like how she sounds on the phone... Who knows... We all have our idiosyncrasies. Up until the donotcall option came around a few years ago, many telemarketers were asking me if Mommy or Daddy were home!
I missed that point, Yes Sierra..Things may not be what they "seem".

This thread is going into Jerry Springer territory.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I doubt it... It's more like a paranoid-American territory.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:44 PM

1,738 posts, read 845,817 times
As a woman who has done her fair share of online dating through the years- I won't give out my phone number right away either. For one- there are WAY too many "fake" profiles out there where people are just trying to gather cell phone numbers for marketing purposes--- or who knows what? (Have had them try to talk sex... urgh.) Plus, yes- you stand the chance of having a nutjob call you and now he has your phone number to harass you later. And if you give him your home number- he can find out where you live through reverse look up services. Online dating is okay- but you really do have to be safe and use common sense, especially as a woman. I always ask for their number first so I can call them from a blocked number until I at least find out if they are "real"... and sane. Once I feel pretty confident that they are okay- I give them my number. And the fact that she is willing to meet is a good thing. It's the fake ones out of the country who never want to meet... But beware--- if she doesn't show and then claims to need money from you for some reason due to some "emergency"--- run, don't walk! It's a scam. Good luck. I hope she's real, and normal, and that you hit it off!

Old 11-10-2011, 06:04 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:

I wish. It's been mad boring up in here lately...

Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
Dude, meeting her is way better than chatting with her on the phone, and SHE suggested it. Go for it, and if it goes well, you'll probably get her number at the end anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships