Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 12:08 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackvar View Post
I told them that the only type of person I could see myself associating with would probably have to be rational, intelligent, and confident/driven, no libido, and emotionally apathetic.
I swear, this has to be the same sexually inhibited, emotionally stunted man-child posting the same crap over and over again with different screen names. There can't be this many socially inept, psychologically unhealthy, limp-penised men out there. Seriously. There can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 04:13 AM

49 posts, read 44,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I swear, this has to be the same sexually inhibited, emotionally stunted man-child posting the same crap over and over again with different screen names. There can't be this many socially inept, psychologically unhealthy, limp-penised men out there. Seriously. There can't.
But I'm obviously not socially inept or psychologically unhealthy?

This is just the only kind of person that I could bear to be around from day to day. This is the kind of person that I could truly respect.

I could never respect or care for someone that didn't have enough pride to live their own life without depending on others.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:37 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,308 times
Quote:
But I'm obviously not socially inept or psychologically unhealthy?

This is just the only kind of person that I could bear to be around from day to day. This is the kind of person that I could truly respect.

I could never respect or care for someone that didn't have enough pride to live their own life without depending on others.
Have you ever heard of a schizoid personality style? That sounds close to what you're talking about. Think of it as a less extreme version of schizoid personality disorder....if the full-blown disorder is like the color red, the style might be a pale to medium pink.

And it sounds like you like to live your life the same way--completely free of entanglements with others. Am I seeing that correctly?

Old 11-15-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
ISTP - Introverted Sensing Thinking Perceiving

Here's a good general write up, with specific information on ISTP females.
Thank you!

I will give this a read and see if this is something that could work with my lifestyle.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
Have you ever heard of a schizoid personality style? That sounds close to what you're talking about. Think of it as a less extreme version of schizoid personality disorder....if the full-blown disorder is like the color red, the style might be a pale to medium pink.

And it sounds like you like to live your life the same way--completely free of entanglements with others. Am I seeing that correctly?
I just read a few articles on this and it sounds more like a personality type, not so much a disorder. The fact that this classification is actually going away in the next decade or so seems to reaffirm that (casual, untrained) observation.

I wouldn't say that I prefer to be free of the entanglements of others. That sounds a bit drastic. What I prefer is to spend time with people that are genuinely intelligent, interesting, and driven without having them expect me to suddenly drop what I'm doing because they can't handle their own problems. This is particularly annoying when some of my female friends begin to complain about the same problems they encounter with each person they see/date. I have a hard time feeling empathy for people that seem to forget that they are adults and are responsible for their own successes and failures in life.

That said, I certainly could see myself easily adjusting to that type of person with little to no repercussions on my personal life.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:46 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:
I was recently introduced to a female acquaintance of a friend during a group outing. This person seemed very friendly and we spent most of the night talking. However, I was baffled when she gave me her phone number at the end of the evening. I honestly don't understand why she felt this was proper to do to someone that they just met and barely know. My friends seemed equally puzzled when I discarded her phone number (after she left, of course). They couldn't seem to understand why I would find her behavior odd and a tad off-putting.

That's when I was told that they had brought this person along specifically to meet me.

"Great," I thought, "another one."

Ever since my friends have found out that I don't date and am romantically apathetic, they have been to be pulling people out of the woodwork to meet me. I geniunely like my friends but I cannot understand why they keep trying to do this. I don't mind meeting new people and spending an evening out every month or so, but that's good enough for me. I have never had the desire to bring a stranger home or exchange personal information with said stranger.

Truth be told, I honestly cannot picture myself with any of their aquaintances. The thought of spending exhorbitant amounts of time with these people seems, well... annoying. I tried to tell my friends this, but all they did was prod me as to what type of person I could see myself with. So I told them what kind of person I could work with... And they were pretty much silent.

I told them that the only type of person I could see myself associating with would probably have to be rational, intelligent, and confident/driven, no libido, and emotionally apathetic.

After the silence broke, my friends have told me that they have never met anyone like that. They followed up by saying that I don't know what I want and that I would change my mind if I gave these people a chance. Since I am an extremely independent person, I seriously doubt I could put up with the neediness that most of these women (even my friends) seem to display.

What I am really wondering is... how hard would it be to find a person like this? I'm pretty happy on my own, but I would like to show my friends that it is possible to find this type of person. Could it be done? It would be interesting to associate with someone that I could truly relate to.

Allow me to translate:

"I met someone who seemed outgoing and very friendly. We spent the majority of the night talking...

"And I never, ever want to see them again, by golly."

She gave you the number because she enjoyed herself and thought it would be nice to give it another whirl.

You threw it away and will never, ever know whether she might have fit that bizarre-but-yours-so-who-am-I-to-judge list of criteria, in part or in toto.

You can NEVER know if anyone will fit those criteria in one fell swoop unless you're a complete doot-brain and think magic is simply going to happen.

Now you can check that one off your list and odds are you did her a massive favour chucking her number.

Change the name of your thread from "Where would I find a woman with this type of personality?" to "I'll never meet a woman with this or any type of personality because I've got all the tactical skills of a small soapdish."

Old 11-15-2011, 06:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
However, I was baffled when she gave me her phone number at the end of the evening. I honestly don't understand why she felt this was proper to do to someone that they just met and barely know.

I'm pretty happy on my own, but I would like to show my friends that it is possible to find this type of person. Could it be done? It would be interesting to associate with someone that I could truly relate to.
I have no problem accepting that everyone is different and some are a little more "different" than others. I do find your "distance" rather peculiar, though. You seem to be someone who not only stands on the perimeter of sociability but is obviously incapable of understanding human behavior (thus animal behavior too).

It seems odd to me that you would be "baffled" that the woman gave you her 'phone number when even someone on the fringe generally understands simple things like that even if they're not able to relate to them.

Why would you like to show your friends that it's possible to find someone to whom you can intimately relate? What does it matter? If you feel you're missing something and want to find someone to have a relationship with that's one thing but if looking for that someone is simply an objective exercise to show "them" that you're not as odd as you think they think you are, surely that's a big waste of time?

You'd stand out a lot less from the pack if you understood basic social mores and adapted your social life accordingly. You wouldn't even have written this post had you not obviously discarded the woman's 'phone number in front of your friends. How much more difficult would it have been to graciously accept it and then discard it later. But no, you wanted to create a "thing" ...

Old 11-15-2011, 07:04 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
You're a vulcan and need to find your kind. This planet is not the optimal one to find fellow vulcanites. Hitch a ride on the next comet and be done with it.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:19 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
You're a vulcan and need to find your kind. This planet is not the optimal one to find fellow vulcanites. Hitch a ride on the next comet and be done with it.

Aren't there tons of hot chix with pointy ears at varied 'Cons? Trek-Con? Comicon? Out on parole con?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:23 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Good luck. You're looking for a needle in a haystack. Women tend to be quite emotional, as compared to men. Men and women don't think alike, have different priorities, etc. You might be happier being single. Its likely not the "couples" that are trying to match you up. Many of the men are probably ambivalent about being married except for having sex regularly. They probably don't care if you mate or not. For some reason though, women think that no man could be happy being single. A mate can make your life better, but as many have found, they can also make it a lot worse. Be careful. Personally, IMHO.if your ambivalent about sex, forget getting married. Face it, if there was no sex, the vast majority of men would never get married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships