Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 08:56 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,214,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Here's Sheldon Cooper, a role in a TV program. Mr. Cooper features all the personality traits of OP: Sheldon Cooper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Meh.. I'm not a fan of that show. Or any of the sitcoms on CBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 09:02 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,422,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Here's Sheldon Cooper, a role in a TV program. Mr. Cooper features all the personality traits of OP: Sheldon Cooper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Better to be described as Sheldon Cooper than Dexter Morgan (as the sociopathic comments suggested.)

Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 AM

49 posts, read 44,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
First of all, you should never have to accept someone groping you or kissing you. That's sexual assault.

That aside, there is something "wrong" with you and I don't mean it badly but the feelings, or lack thereof, that you experience indicate some sort of disorder. Glad you're interested in checking it out to better understand yourself.

Curious, what do you do to "amplify" your feelings? It sounds like you put yourself in social situations with friends that you don't want to be in. That isn't who you are. I would also stay away from socializing in bars because if you're confused about why other people act and say certain things, that is only going to be made worse by alcohol consumption on their part or yours.
I know what the feeling is, I just act out what I think would appropriately fit the situation and the emotion. It's hard to explain. The only way I can describe it is to compare it to physical pain (something I am very familiar with). When I snapped my arm in half, I was in absolute agony. I howled until my throat was sore and was absolutely terrified of what my body was going through. I didn't have to think that, "well this hurts so I should scream", I screamed. However, when I'm out and about and a friend does something nice for me, I have to take a second and cogitate the appropriate response to that kindness. I know that this benefits me and it was due to unnecessary effort on their part so I try to reciprocate their effort in kind. Innately, I am appreciative but the emotion isn't strong enough for me to really express anything without actively thinking about it.

That's the only way I can describe it.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Better to be described as Sheldon Cooper than Dexter Morgan (as the sociopathic comments suggested.)
Dexter's confusion over romance isn't unfamiliar to me, but I definitely know right from wrong. I am a very non-violent person.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:06 AM

18,122 posts, read 15,704,019 times
Dexter is actually a very cool guy, serial killer compulsion aside. He doesn't have feelings like others (hence the term "sociopath"), but is able to function because he has learned to mimic acceptable behavior, even if he doesn't feel it. He does know right from wrong even though he doesn't have normal feelings and is not able to control his compulsion to kill. He's had to learn how to channel that compulsion in a way that will minimize innocent people from being hurt by him and also minimize his chances of getting caught. So he lives by a 'code' that was taught to him.

Watch the first few episodes of Dexter when he talks about how he doesn't relate to what others feel and he doesn't get the point of romance and relationships like that. Now put aside the killing thing in Dexter and reread what the OP said in his posts and think about how Dexter describes his dealings with others, friends, women, etc.

What the OP describes in his posts easily fits the exposition and dialog as seen in those first few Dexter episodes, which is why it immediately came to my mind.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
I don't know. Dexter seems to have a thing for his son. Maybe it's supposed to be due to paternal instincts, but it would be surprising if a sociopath cared about anybody.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,422,837 times
I've actually read the first couple of the Dexter books that the show is based on, and TV Dexter has been made more warm and fuzzy than Book Dexter to be palatable to the TV audience. A true sociopath would know how to cope, but wouldn't suddenly develop feelings.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:03 AM

782 posts, read 1,109,470 times
No...This Sheldon Cooper
Read this thread and tell me they are not the same person..

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21580232-post1.html

Old 11-16-2011, 11:18 AM

I'm pretty sure that's not me.

I specifically said I was confused and baffled by it, not repulsed. I have also rolled with a woman at the bar once to see if it was something I would like. That is also the first time I've ever heard of "asexual."

I'm also in my mid 20's.

That previous post makes more sense now, though.

Last edited by stackvar; 11-16-2011 at 11:40 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 12:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,736,641 times
stackvar, you are definitely outside the norm. You are also very young. You've been given a ton of input to mull over and all the rest is up to you. You may always be a bit of an outsider where the masses are concerned and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, in order to muddle through the proscribed three score years and ten, you have to learn how to mingle with the masses and observe the social norms which guide their lives.

As I said earlier, your tearing up the woman's telephone number in front of your friends was totally unnecessary and was something that a drama queen would do for effect. You have to find a way to blend in with people ... Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships