Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,909,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
As much as I hate to admit it, there's a lot of truth in that. I have many male friends and you wouldn't believe the women they dated and married simply because 'they're hot'.

In fact, one of my very long term male friends told me a while ago (when i was lamenting about being single) that I should have just saved the money I spent on college and getting my pilots license and spent it on the gym and some minor plastic surgery because most men aren't going to give a crap that I have a degree and can fly planes... They just want someone attractive and somewhat easy to get along with.
yep, eggzacklee. thats the thing alot of women don't realize. not saying all of them, but here in NYC i've met quite a few who spent their 20s and early 30s working hard, building up a career only to find themselves without a partner and few prospects, simply because they expect that guys should somehow fall over themselves to get to them just because they have a solid career going. don't get me wrong, it's great that a woman is independent, but the fact is, most guys will always first seek out physical attraction and chemistry, then look at all the rest. just the way we're wired.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:40 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,252,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
yep, eggzacklee. thats the thing alot of women don't realize. not saying all of them, but here in NYC i've met quite a few who spent their 20s and early 30s working hard, building up a career only to find themselves without a partner and few prospects, simply because they expect that guys should somehow fall over themselves to get to them just because they have a solid career going. don't get me wrong, it's great that a woman is independent, but the fact is, most guys will always first seek out physical attraction and chemistry, then look at all the rest. just the way we're wired.
A majority of people who do marry are getting married much later compared to the past, which is largely due to school and career. I think it's a good thing. It gives people a chance to live a little and mature to a degree. Further, given that money issues are the number one culprit behind divorce IIRC, intelligent men will and do take that into consideration just as women do. All men aren't mindless drones at the mercy of pop evo-psych.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,902,485 times
It's hard these days? Boy, it was always hard, ask your parents or grandparents if they're still alive!
I remember when I was a teen at the height of the so called (a misnomer) "sex revolution" in the seventies, I was finding it hard back then! I think that only "alpha " males have it easy in that respect. What always got on my nerves (still today) is the unwritten rule that men, being the "stonger (?) sex" must always do the first step. I always had problems with that (still do). It's soooo unfair to us guys!!!!!

Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,697,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
It's hard these days? Boy, it was always hard, ask your parents or grandparents if they're still alive!
I remember when I was a teen at the height of the so called (a misnomer) "sex revolution" in the seventies, I was finding it hard back then! I think that only "alpha " males have it easy in that respect. What always got on my nerves (still today) is the unwritten rule that men, being the "stonger (?) sex" must always do the first step. I always had problems with that (still do). It's soooo unfair to us guys!!!!!
I'm usually the one who makes the first move and I'm a woman. Ive also been rejected more times than I can remember, and have been told that it's a huge turn off to be hit on by a woman quite a few times. I still do it, don't get me wrong, but the guys I've talked to think its emasculating for a woman to make the first move.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:33 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,408,237 times
Quote:
I'm usually the one who makes the first move and I'm a woman. Ive also been rejected more times than I can remember, and have been told that it's a huge turn off to be hit on by a woman quite a few times. I still do it, don't get me wrong, but the guys I've talked to think its emasculating for a woman to make the first move.

i dont think its a turn off at all, in fact i think society is at fault for making women feel that they should be hitting on, making the first moves with men. So u'd rather have a woman who is interested in a guy never do anything about it rather than her risk some sort of dignity or social prestige by asking a guy out? I dont get it. I'm shy to a degree especially around new people and if a girl made a move i'd be flattered.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:36 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,902,485 times
Don't listen to these macho types, JetJockey. "emasculating?" (rolf) ... those guys are full of themselves. I f they were honest, they would admit it's a big relief to have the female do the "groundwork" from time to time (it's like some feminists who talk all the time of "equality" but when it comes to seduction, want to be courted like in the Middle Ages...talk of a contradiction!)

Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,408,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Don't listen to these macho types, JetJockey. "emasculating?" (rolf) ... those guys are full of themselves. I f they were honest, they would admit it's a big relief to have the female do the "groundwork" from time to time (it's like some feminists who talk all the time of "equality" but when it comes to seduction, want to be courted like in the Middle Ages...talk of a contradiction!)

i agree

Old 12-05-2011, 11:45 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,319,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
If that's the case then most men are idiots. The traits you list are some of the biggest turn-offs I can imagine in a woman.
yeah but women have higher standards, there is no denying that

Old 12-06-2011, 12:00 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,841,956 times
It's hypergamy, women are sharing alpha males like never before. I wouldn't be surprised if polygamy becomes legalized in the next decade or two. There have never been so many unwanted males...they will go their whole lives never dating, never getting married, and never having children. They will live sort of aimless lives where they can indulge in their hobbies such as playing video games. If they work they will pay taxes to support the children of single mothers who would have rejected the hell out of them when they were younger in favor of a bad boy and/or dominant alpha. Some men blame themselves unawre of the social forces that exist.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,738,704 times
Quote:
You're talking to the wrong guys............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.