Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

All that have been mentioned and lack of drama. I was married to a Drama Queen for 25 years - notice I said was - and that's something I could never live with again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 07:55 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm thinking of a quality or view you have towards your partner. For me respect is at the top. I think it's so important, although maybe this is more important for women? It just seems to be wrapped up in many other qualities- respect for intelligence, accomplishment, compassion. How about you?
Before I even clicked on the thread, the first thing that popped into my head was respect. MUCH can be weathered/gotten through if mutual respect stays at the forefront. If it's not there, it's just a matter of time until things are toast.

Also, I feel like there's so much that falls under the banner of respect. Trust goes hand in hand, loyalty is definitely a matter of respect, honesty, etc. "Respect" just seems to cover a multitude of things.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 11-25-2011 at 08:51 AM..

Old 11-25-2011, 07:56 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Loyalty, trust, respect. One of those three for sure... I don't think I can pick one over the others though.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:22 AM

461 posts, read 922,915 times
Trust for me. It is impossible to have a successful relationship without it.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:42 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I choose wisdom.
Having been married over 30 years and seperated 10 ,and observed many other marriages both succcessful and failures, wisdom is a key element .
I didn't say smart or highly educated These are competitive egocentric hard to please self centered hidden agenda, lots of fantasy. (too many romance novels)
One whom is wise is honest ,participates in conversation with out competition, supportive thoughtful.
Lastly a very deeply equally honestly shared mutual interest or raather several of them .
I am sick and tired of false identification,because the other person is saying to them selves "I may not be actually participating in those things he does but I could learn to " but indicating that it is a fact, is giving a false picture.
A person sells you them selves on certain premises they believe make the sale , but when the moment occurs the fraud is discovered the dammage is irriparable ,what else then, is a lie ?
One whom is wise pays close attention to what is said, taking what is said for it's face value and not reading something else into it. "I have been guilty of this, and regret it "

Old 11-25-2011, 12:31 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
The ability or willingness to settle?
For women this is a problem. Perhaps using the term settling will only get their hackles up but we are already seeing the lists come out.

Women need to separate what is important from what isn't but instead, they start with looking for things that they know cannot be changed (but aren't really very important for success) and then add to that, a long list of other requirements that these types of men either can't provide or won't. Then they wonder why their relationships never seem to work out.

Men - well the better class of men , at least - are far more willing to see this as a matter of compromise and give women time to demonstrate their qualities. Unfortunately, since they are not the gate keepers, what they want is seldom something they have any control over. All they can do is reject the truely inappropriate and be rejected most of the rest of the time, usually at the very outset.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:52 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
being unselfish
1) This.

If you are in a relationship, you put the other person's needs before your own. And you put the health of the relationship before either your needs. That doesn't mean you have to be a martyr or doormat. It just means that you are entering into a partnership, one where both members have to be thinking of the other's welfare, happiness, and fulfillment.

2) Flexibility.

Life doesn't go the way you planned. Ever. While it is okay to have long-term goals (In fact, a life without them is pretty empty), that's a long way from having plans.

3) A sense of humor. When things get tough, which they inevitably do, you'll need it.

4) Prudence. As in, you aren't just responsible for yourself. You're responsible for someone else, too.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:11 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braunwyn View Post
i'm thinking of a quality or view you have towards your partner. For me respect is at the top. I think it's so important, although maybe this is more important for women? It just seems to be wrapped up in many other qualities- respect for intelligence, accomplishment, compassion. How about you?
honesty..

Old 11-25-2011, 01:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Respect, trust, laughter, a certain degree of unselfishness, compromise - I couldn't have a successful relationship with out any of these things. Interesting thread… I think it makes me realize that my marriage is so wonderful because of so many things - and not just one thing.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:34 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Passion!! My Lady loves to love & be loved. She loves to give & receive oral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships