Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 05:11 PM

494 posts, read 1,610,366 times

Advertisements

Agree with Texas. You can't really set an age on it, even though society wants us too. People have different circumstances as to why they aren't currently dating/have dated all the time.

Me personally, I would like to get my life together and figure myself out before I even try to mess with someone else. Relationships can always wait imo, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,522,111 times
I don't think you can set an age on it anymore and there are so many factors why. People can be more picky and will hold out for exactly what they want, also people are getting more and more involved with their careers. These two really aren't too bad. But the main factor is, people as a whole just don't seem to be very social anymore. There are some very nice, attractive people that I know that are in their 30's, never been married, don't have any kids, and hardly ever date if at all, because they are just so busy with work and any social life they have, they spend it with friends, instead of trying to find someone to date or even try to meet new people in general. Just a different world these days.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:12 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Your family and friends are pretending they are "baffled". If they've known you any length of time, then they know full well why you are single but are unwilling to disclose that information to you for some reason.
Also interesting that they (i.e., the nosy family/friends who keep jibing ppl who have never had a g/f or b/f), also don't particularly care enough to help get these kinds of ppl, out of their predicaments either They're the first to point fingers and label such ppl as "weird", etc., but they're also the last to want to help them...been there and done that...

I have no idea why this is though...perhaps some ppl are just naturally more socially-Darwinian?

Old 12-09-2011, 06:00 PM

188 posts, read 304,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
.....before it becomes kind of really weird that he's never had a girlfriend before?

And for a girl, to have never had a boyfriend?
It should never be considered weird. I know a guy who is 97 and has never had a girlfriend. Such people do exist. Also many Buddhist monks choose to remain virgins for life.

Some people are just different and I don't think I would want to live in a society where all people behave and act the same (like robots).

Why can't society accept people who are different or people with different needs from the majority?

Last edited by Mr. Freak; 12-09-2011 at 06:18 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 PM

513 posts, read 897,656 times
in today's world, 10. all i hear out of my 3 year old is "my boyfriend, my boyfriend"

Old 12-10-2011, 02:21 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I don't think you can set an age on it anymore and there are so many factors why. People can be more picky and will hold out for exactly what they want, also people are getting more and more involved with their careers. These two really aren't too bad. But the main factor is, people as a whole just don't seem to be very social anymore. There are some very nice, attractive people that I know that are in their 30's, never been married, don't have any kids, and hardly ever date if at all, because they are just so busy with work and any social life they have, they spend it with friends, instead of trying to find someone to date or even try to meet new people in general. Just a different world these days.
That's when they've stayed single by choice, which is different from people who've actively sought relationships for almost a decade and ended up with zip.

If a person enjoys a single-life and is content with it, then I'd say any age is totally fine.

If a person is not particularly liking being single and is looking for someone to be with, and have done so since the late teens, I'd say 20~ for men at least.
It's different for women who can lose out on the whole thing by just having really bad looks, which they can do nothing about. Otherwise I think most women have been offered to go on a date more times than they can count by the time they're 20, as they're typically on the receiving end of an approach.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:40 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I know a few people pushing 30 who have never really had a serious bf/gf, just casual hookups and short term (less than 6 month) relationships. Apparently it's not that uncommon.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:43 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I know a few people pushing 30 who have never really had a serious bf/gf, just casual hookups and short term (less than 6 month) relationships. Apparently it's not that uncommon.
Neither is being overweight, that doesn't make it a good thing.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:49 AM

14 posts, read 23,168 times
I think nobody can specific age for this.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:31 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,965,555 times
I've never had a girlfriend before and I'm well let's say over 40.. The reason I say that is I never want to be married and there's no point stringing women along if that's not in my future. They could be using that time to find a husband if that's what they want.

How many people do you know who were in long term relationships and broke up? That's basically a waste of time. I've talked to women who have relationships 3, 5 years and beyond and broke up.. they should have married the guy and at least got something especially if they have a kid together.

So after high school that boyfriend, girlfriend stuff is meaningless. Date as many people as possible (notice I said date and not sleep with) to find the person you may want to be with.. Then consider long term plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships