Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times

Advertisements

I met this guy and I was VERY clear that I'm not into texting unless I HAVE to do it. He understood. He texts me friday to tell me he had a good time with me and to ask when a good time to call me would be. I informed him that my weekend was nuts so to call me Sunday afternoon (yesterday). well, instead, he texts me that morning asking if I still wanted to hang out . I wrote back since I couldn't call (was at work), letting him know that I wasn't aware of any plans, that I thought he was just calling me. He tells me "oh ya... my bad" and that he'll call me later. He texts me instead of calling me, at around 8:00 p.m. while I'm with a friend. After a couple texts back and forth I get "so do you want to do something this week? I leave town Friday" . If he was afraid to call cause I was with a friend, he could have just said "well you have fun with your friend..I'll call tomorrow". This man is 29..I don't get how he could be so...dumb?

I still haven't responded, lol. I already decided I'm not interested enough to keep things going and he proves my point by doing exactly what I told him I don't like. I have no idea what to do cause I'd feel like a jerk telling him to call me just so I can reject him. I already know I'm not interested in "hanging out" again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 AM

733 posts, read 1,663,883 times
Yes! If he's accustomed to texting, he might find it hard to actually hear words of rejection over the phone.

Given the length and the level of seriousness on your part about this hanging out business, it is entirely appropriate to end it via text.

Happy holidays!

Last edited by Sweetlilac; 12-19-2011 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: elaboration

Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 AM

60 posts, read 141,991 times
Don't reply him via text. Wait for him to call you.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:41 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I met this guy and I was VERY clear that I'm not into texting unless I HAVE to do it. He understood. He texts me friday to tell me he had a good time with me and to ask when a good time to call me would be. I informed him that my weekend was nuts so to call me Sunday afternoon (yesterday). well, instead, he texts me that morning asking if I still wanted to hang out . I wrote back since I couldn't call (was at work), letting him know that I wasn't aware of any plans, that I thought he was just calling me. He tells me "oh ya... my bad" and that he'll call me later. He texts me instead of calling me, at around 8:00 p.m. while I'm with a friend. After a couple texts back and forth I get "so do you want to do something this week? I leave town Friday" . If he was afraid to call cause I was with a friend, he could have just said "well you have fun with your friend..I'll call tomorrow". This man is 29..I don't get how he could be so...dumb?

I still haven't responded, lol. I already decided I'm not interested enough to keep things going and he proves my point by doing exactly what I told him I don't like. I have no idea what to do cause I'd feel like a jerk telling him to call me just so I can reject him. I already know I'm not interested in "hanging out" again.
Just tell him by that text that you two shouldn't hangout. If he asks why, tell him that you're just interested in keeping things as friends.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
I'm the complete opposite, I don't like using my phone as an actual phone. I prefer texting because it allows me to say what I need without other people having to listen. If someone constantly called (even if it was someone I liked), I would just not respond and eventually move their number to the "straight to voicemail" list - which goes to a voicemail box that doesn't save.

Wait for him to call, then tell him "lolno". You might also be able to do something about blocking texts from his number. It'll tell him that you're not accepting texts which should hopefully get the message across.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:48 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
I think maybe you are being too harsh on the guy. When you are into txting or social media it's hard to change your habits. How about you try this....tell him "you know if YOU called and asked me out i just might say yes". If he can't take the hint from that then chalk him up to 'dense'. But yes it's fine to reject someone over text.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishMeetFish View Post
Don't reply him via text. Wait for him to call you.
I agree. The same sort of scenario occurs in the world of employment . You put an ad in the paper for a job opening with instructions on how to apply. You specifically say, "no walk-ins and no telephone calls, please" (or whatever applies). As soon as someone decides the instructions don't apply to them and directly goes against them, I don't even consider them. If you can't listen and don't understand simple instructions, how are you going to function in the workplace where you have to follow procedures?

If you clearly told the man that you're just not into texting, and especially if you told him a second time, then imagine how much he'd pay attention to what you're saying if you get into a relationship ... it'd probably be like talking to a brick wall.

PS: To the respondents who commented while I was writing, he's not a teenager, he's 29 years old. I don't care if his thumbs have outgrown his fingers through incessant texting, not everybody is into it and other's wishes should be honored.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you clearly told the man that you're just not into texting, and especially if you told him a second time, then imagine how much he'd pay attention to what you're saying if you get into a relationship ... it'd probably be like talking to a brick wall.
Exactly.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:28 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I think if you just stick to your guns and quit texting him back, you might never hear from him again

Old 12-19-2011, 01:31 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I think maybe you are being too harsh on the guy. When you are into txting or social media it's hard to change your habits. How about you try this....tell him "you know if YOU called and asked me out i just might say yes". If he can't take the hint from that then chalk him up to 'dense'. But yes it's fine to reject someone over text.

actually, I wouldn't say yes either way. I'm not interested in taking it further.

regardless, he texted me again this morning apologizing for not calling yesterday (I have yet to text him back from yesterday) and asked when a good time to call is. I guess I can have him call me and then I'll have to tell him I"m not interested that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships