Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:07 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
"Hath" implies the person is already married. Someone could become a believer after getting married; or one of the believers could stop believing after getting married. I don't see the verse as being different than not divorcing someone in general after marriage...(although the last part of that verse sounds like an exception to divorce).
OK I finally found the other verse that I noticed from the NT, that would appear to validate a marriage between a Christian and a non-Christian as sacred, from 1 Corinthians 7, I believe (italics / bold / underline added by me, references NIV translation):

Quote:
And a husband must not divorce his wife. To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groggo558 View Post

There's several things wrong with your thinking, but I think you won't listen to anyone who doesn't agree with you.
Where did I ever say that? In fact, if you re-read my OP, you will see that I specifically asked for the input of other guys, to see what they specifically found attractive, women (implying divergence from what I personally find to be attractive in women). If I really and honestly didn't want to to listen to the differing opinions of others, I somehow doubt I would have asked that

Old 01-02-2012, 04:43 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
OK I finally found the other verse that I noticed from the NT, that would appear to validate a marriage between a Christian and a non-Christian as sacred, from 1 Corinthians 7, I believe (italics / bold / underline added by me, references NIV translation):
That's the same verse I posted.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
That's the same verse I posted.
Correct...however, the wording seemed to appear very slightly different in the NIV edition, and so I was quoting from the original source I had seen on my end

ETA: I was especially interested in the part that I also underlined for emphasis, which read "For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband." This verse alone would seem to contradict the viewpoint of some Christians who strongly discourage married unions between Christians and non-Christians. Again, I disagree with, and do not buy into, the whole prohibition against being "unequally yoked".

Old 01-02-2012, 06:26 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Correct...however, the wording seemed to appear very slightly different in the NIV edition, and so I was quoting from the original source I had seen on my end

ETA: I was especially interested in the part that I also underlined for emphasis, which read "For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband." This verse alone would seem to contradict the viewpoint of some Christians who strongly discourage married unions between Christians and non-Christians. Again, I disagree with, and do not buy into, the whole prohibition against being "unequally yoked".
I interpret that to apply to people who are already married to a non-believer. Not to those who are single looking for wives or husbands.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I interpret that to apply to people who are already married to a non-believer. Not to those who are single looking for wives or husbands.
Fascinating...thx for your feedback...

Old 01-03-2012, 01:57 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
Quote:
1. Very affectionate, kind, and caring
2. Extremely compassionate and loving
3. Capable of giving total unconditional love, to a serious b/f
4. Forgiving and patient, of your faults and foibles...never or rarely angry with you
5. Soft-spoken, uncritical...if she has a disagreement with you, she is gentle about it
6. Innocent / non-worldly, both generally and also in terms of physical intimacy
7. Shy and/or introverted...but the "nice" kind of shy...
8. Wants a serious and exclusive relationship with you, and hopefully (eventually ultimately in the future) a loving marriage

This is borderline doormat....only because there is not much to this besides preferring someone who wants to please you and won't rock the boat because they don't ever have their own feelings & opinions. If you included other traits which aren't just about giving to YOU, but qualities you can admire (ie. intelligence, creativity, sense of humor), then it might not come off that way.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
This is borderline doormat....only because there is not much to this besides preferring someone who wants to please you and won't rock the boat because they don't ever have their own feelings & opinions. If you included other traits which aren't just about giving to YOU, but qualities you can admire (ie. intelligence, creativity, sense of humor), then it might not come off that way.
I'm sorry if my OP came across that way, as I sincerely did not intend it to come across like that...

Old 01-03-2012, 01:12 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
1. Very affectionate, kind, and caring - Attractive
2. Extremely compassionate and loving - Attractive
3. Capable of giving total unconditional love, to a serious b/f - Attractive
4. Forgiving and patient, of your faults and foibles...never or rarely angry with you - Attractive
5. Soft-spoken, uncritical...if she has a disagreement with you, she is gentle about it - I appreciate direct honesty, but don't do it just to be a jerk. Consider my feelings.
6. Innocent / non-worldly, both generally and also in terms of physical intimacy - A little of both. I'm not into having a loose or scantily clad woman for a partner, but I'm not into a goody-two-shoes either.
7. Shy and/or introverted...but the "nice" kind of shy... - It's normal for anyone to be shy in new situations, but I definitely prefer a more outgoing and confident woman. Sass and a good sense of humor are appealing to me.
8. Wants a serious and exclusive relationship with you, and hopefully (eventually ultimately in the future) a loving marriage - I'll always entertain the idea of this with a woman I'm serious about, but no man wants it to be shoved in his face.

Pretty much with all of this, it's ideal to find a woman who understands that there's a time and a place for everything.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:40 PM

31,058 posts, read 22,086,243 times
1. Very affectionate, kind, and caring YES
2. Extremely compassionate and loving YES but not too extreme
3. Capable of giving total unconditional love, to a serious b/f NO, unconditional is extreme
4. Forgiving and patient, of your faults and foibles...never or rarely angry with you YES
5. Soft-spoken, uncritical...if she has a disagreement with you, she is gentle about it YES
6. Innocent / non-worldly, both generally and also in terms of physical intimacy NO, I prefer an experienced woman
7. Shy and/or introverted...but the "nice" kind of shy...NO, shows the lack of communication skills
8. Wants a serious and exclusive relationship with you, and hopefully (eventually ultimately in the future) a loving marriage Maybe. Better be the best thing in the world to give up my freedom

Last edited by LS Jaun; 01-03-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships