Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:22 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,297,914 times

Advertisements

Maybe they didn't put your name on the tags because they bought the gifts for your wife because they thought that would make you both happy and they didn't want you to open up a female gift that was intended for her? Maybe it was something as small as not being sure how to spell your name correctly and not wanting to upset you.

I would try to approach this situation on neutral ground first incase they really didn't mean any harm towards you. Bring the wife along. That way if things are bad then they won't be able to say anything too harsh in front of her or feed her lies that are untrue if she finds you talking to them and she asks why. Also she will be touched that you care to make the effort and it will enhance your relationship because she will know that you are respectful enough to be a man and try to work a problem out with her folks. Especially if she knows that you do not like her family. This will make her feel more important to you.

I say go for the conversation. You have NOTHING to lose and everything to gain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 04:41 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,781 times
Well - mystery solved!

The past 2 or 3 months I've been looking into my wife and I moving to Alaska (Fairbanks). There are plenty of nursing jobs near the area (we're both nurses), and it's been one of my lifelong dreams. When we first met years ago, she stated she wanted to move there as well, her exMIL use to live there and loved it, she had numerous family members who visited and absolutely loved it, and she herself claimed she wanted to do it. So I felt that was something we had in common and would pursue together..

So I think we're at the stage where we can finally do it, however - my wife has changed her mind! Her sister had a baby 2 years ago and I guess after seeing the baby regularly, seeing him spend time with my wifes father and mother etc, she's ready to settle down and have one!

We're barely in our mid 20s, we've been married since we where in our teens and have been the "old married couple" since..19ish. So I'm very against having a child right now, as I feel moving would be impossible - her parents/sisters would endlessly guilt her into coming back, and then she wouldn't enjoy it at all...plus I think she likes living near her family etc (I love mine, but don't ever plan on moving back).

Anyway around early December her sisters/mother took her out to eat, my wife got very drunk, and mentioned me "wanting to go to Alaska." She claims she doesn't remember what exactly she told them or their reaction, but I distinctly remember the sisters coming back and giving me the cold shoulder and ignoring me that night.

So I'm now the bad guy who wants to rip the family apart, and potentially raise our future children away from them - even though that's what having a family here means for me (since everyone on my side of the family is in another state).

So now my wife is upset that I don't want to settle down and have kids like her sister, and I'm upset that she is ready to settle down and have kids. We agreed upon a compromise a few months ago (move to Anchorage in about a year as a test), but now she's saying she doesn't want to go at all, and wants to stay here (living 5 min away from her dad..).

And her family is aware now, too.

So them completely ignoring me for Christmas, not getting me anything, and making a show of stacking every single gift next to her, I guess, makes sense..

Old 01-04-2012, 04:54 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Well - mystery solved!

The past 2 or 3 months I've been looking into my wife and I moving to Alaska (Fairbanks). There are plenty of nursing jobs near the area (we're both nurses), and it's been one of my lifelong dreams. When we first met years ago, she stated she wanted to move there as well, her exMIL use to live there and loved it, she had numerous family members who visited and absolutely loved it, and she herself claimed she wanted to do it. So I felt that was something we had in common and would pursue together..

So I think we're at the stage where we can finally do it, however - my wife has changed her mind! Her sister had a baby 2 years ago and I guess after seeing the baby regularly, seeing him spend time with my wifes father and mother etc, she's ready to settle down and have one!

We're barely in our mid 20s, we've been married since we where in our teens and have been the "old married couple" since..19ish. So I'm very against having a child right now, as I feel moving would be impossible - her parents/sisters would endlessly guilt her into coming back, and then she wouldn't enjoy it at all...plus I think she likes living near her family etc (I love mine, but don't ever plan on moving back).

Anyway around early December her sisters/mother took her out to eat, my wife got very drunk, and mentioned me "wanting to go to Alaska." She claims she doesn't remember what exactly she told them or their reaction, but I distinctly remember the sisters coming back and giving me the cold shoulder and ignoring me that night.

So I'm now the bad guy who wants to rip the family apart, and potentially raise our future children away from them - even though that's what having a family here means for me (since everyone on my side of the family is in another state).

So now my wife is upset that I don't want to settle down and have kids like her sister, and I'm upset that she is ready to settle down and have kids. We agreed upon a compromise a few months ago (move to Anchorage in about a year as a test), but now she's saying she doesn't want to go at all, and wants to stay here (living 5 min away from her dad..).

And her family is aware now, too.

So them completely ignoring me for Christmas, not getting me anything, and making a show of stacking every single gift next to her, I guess, makes sense..
Ahhhhh yes, I guess it makes sense now!! You're the brute who wants to haul her and their grandchildren to be, up to remote Alaska where they're never going to see y'all....not til those youngins are grown up! They won't even know them!

I'm sorry .... I really am. Dog gone it, people need to talk about these things before the hurt feelings get going! Clearly, she has changed her mind, as you said, after seeing just how much gramma and grampa love having those grandkids around. I hope you two can work this out. I really do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships