Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,448,703 times

Advertisements

Um.

False bravado and arrogance is about as bad as insecurity.
So hyping yourself over something you're not is kind of a house of cards that will eventually bite you in the ass.

I love myself because I think I am bad ass. I have challenged myself and accomplished a lot. Remember the idea of confidence courses? They really do give you confidence. That's why they are called that. When you take on really tough challenges and overcome them, it gives you a sense of accomplishment that turns to esteem.

Give yourself reasons to love yourself. Donate time and money to others. Smile and be polite and friendly wherever you go. Be the guy who lets the other car in. Create some discipline in your life and stick to it. Remember people's birthdays and special occasions. Be the person that you would say, "What a great guy/gal!" when you think about them.

I don't believe in loving yourself because everyone is special and unique like everyone else. I believe in loving yourself for all the right reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 12:45 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,258,688 times
I love me . But it does not make me happy .

Old 01-06-2012, 01:02 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,516,738 times
people that tell you you can change your self esteem lie.
very little room for change in self perception, it is formed in childhood and is permanent.
learn to live with it. be aware however, that how u feel about what u do and who u r has nothing to do whatsoever with performance and achievement. that is purely a matter of training, discipline, obediance, ability, determination hard work and persistance. richard nixon is a classic example of low self esteem not affecting performance and achievement.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:47 PM

475 posts, read 1,372,464 times
I don't think self-confidence is everything although it can be a tool for those that need it, whether they learned it formally, or through upbringing. Personally, I don't think loving oneself makes one confident at least in the context of the larger world and I don't think people lacking all self-confidence are really that common. There are people that portray confidence because it's their job maybe everyone's pal but underneathe, they are full of doubt. Some generally unconfident people can find a niche to specialize in, even if the rest is neurosis. Equally, one can really like themselves but have no way to connect this to the external forces that cause one to be appreciated and create a cycle. Can there be self-confidence in a vacuum? I don't believe so.

I had a lot of confidence early in life because some teachers told me I was a genius. I took it a bit too seriously and it sounded like the direction would be simple: "Hello world, I'm a genius."
But it must have been more like just in that classroom ha...

Old 01-06-2012, 01:54 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,790,026 times
You have to make the decision to love and accept yourself. Put your own self worth above what other people think of you.

That's a good start IMO.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:50 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,222,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um.

False bravado and arrogance is about as bad as insecurity.
So hyping yourself over something you're not is kind of a house of cards that will eventually bite you in the ass.

I love myself because I think I am bad ass. I have challenged myself and accomplished a lot. Remember the idea of confidence courses? They really do give you confidence. That's why they are called that. When you take on really tough challenges and overcome them, it gives you a sense of accomplishment that turns to esteem.

Give yourself reasons to love yourself. Donate time and money to others. Smile and be polite and friendly wherever you go. Be the guy who lets the other car in. Create some discipline in your life and stick to it. Remember people's birthdays and special occasions. Be the person that you would say, "What a great guy/gal!" when you think about them.

I don't believe in loving yourself because everyone is special and unique like everyone else. I believe in loving yourself for all the right reasons.
Interesting point. However, I do ask one question though. When it comes to facing these tough challenges, what's the difference between a person who overcomes them and a person who gives up? The person who overcomes them has self confidence. Even though neither person has faced the challenge before the person who has faith in themselves will overcome those obstacles while the person who is constantly filled with self doubt will think that they will never defeat their issues and quit.

Confidence is simply believing you can overcome life's obstacles even if you have no proof that you can.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:08 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,218,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Very good point. Not only do those things give a person reason to appreciate them/ourselves, but it's time not spent thinking about me and sometimes that's a good thing.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I've been on these boards awhile now and one theme stands out above the rest, self confidence is everything.

Also the old question: "If you can't love yourself, who will?"

The question though is how, how does a person learn to love themselves?
How does a person gain self confidence?

What are your opinions on how does one go about gaining self worth.

Something happened today that made me want to bring this thread up involving a family member. But I can handle that so I'm not really looking for advice, just a discussion.
To gain self-worth, you only have to be willing to earn it.

This means you accept the truth that life is hard.

And acceptance of that truth means you stop fighting it by complaining about how "unfair" that is.

Because life IS hard, only those willing to do the work to believe in themselves and sustain themselves emotionally when they feel all alone in the world will actually overcome their low self-esteem.

You have to be willing to change the things you're doing that aren't working.

And change can be a painful process.

Benjamin Franklin said, pain instructs.

If you aren't using your personal pain to learn and grow, then you are not going to have good self-esteem.

In the adult world, self esteem is built through personal achievement and daily acts of effort.

You simply have to push yourself to take on new tasks, new challenges and stick with them until you succeed.

The success will supply you with self-esteem.

Giving up before success is achieved will rob you of it.

These are all choices only you can make for yourself. I hope you do and I wish you the best in building yourself up

Old 01-07-2012, 01:36 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,222,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
To gain self-worth, you only have to be willing to earn it.

This means you accept the truth that life is hard.

And acceptance of that truth means you stop fighting it by complaining about how "unfair" that is.

Because life IS hard, only those willing to do the work to believe in themselves and sustain themselves emotionally when they feel all alone in the world will actually overcome their low self-esteem.

You have to be willing to change the things you're doing that aren't working.

And change can be a painful process.

Benjamin Franklin said, pain instructs.

If you aren't using your personal pain to learn and grow, then you are not going to have good self-esteem.

In the adult world, self esteem is built through personal achievement and daily acts of effort.

You simply have to push yourself to take on new tasks, new challenges and stick with them until you succeed.

The success will supply you with self-esteem.

Giving up before success is achieved will rob you of it.

These are all choices only you can make for yourself. I hope you do and I wish you the best in building yourself up
But again what is the motivation? Some people choose to commit suicide because they do not believe in themselves to make through life's hard times.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
But again what is the motivation? Some people choose to commit suicide because they do not believe in themselves to make through life's hard times.
What is the motivation?

Why, to have the best most fulfilling life possible!

If a person does not want that for themselves then they should seek out some help from a medical professional asap because they are likely very depressed or mentally ill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships