Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:01 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times

Advertisements

I'm currently reading a Sinclair Lewis novel, and I chuckled a little when I read this line:

Quote:
...he wondered how much he was going to like Jinny. So far, he merely loved her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 11:31 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Let's just take this example. You say you love your mother and then you say you hate her sometimes. During the times that you hate her, I am assuming you don't love her, because you can't experience or express two opposing feelings simultaneously. So what I imagine, from this example, is that your mom is important to you, you love her . . .but then she says or does something that pisses you off, so then you experience rage or hate towards her? Is that correct?

Still, it is not the phenomenon I am asking about which is actively disliking someone - not liking them at all, but claiming to love them . . .
Perhaps this is the problem right here. I am in no way insulting you, but perhaps YOU can not experience two-opposing feelings simultaneously. The people who are trying to explain this to you, clearly CAN ... simultaneously feel two opposing feelings. Perhaps that's why you don't understand the explanations....you DON'T experience this phenomenon.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:34 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,885 times
As in my example: I love my brother because he is my brother, but I don't like him because he does things in his life I don't agree with as in being a financial strain on my parents. Get it now?

Old 01-07-2012, 11:41 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,297,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Perhaps this is the problem right here. I am in no way insulting you, but perhaps YOU can not experience two-opposing feelings simultaneously. The people who are trying to explain this to you, clearly CAN ... simultaneously feel two opposing feelings. Perhaps that's why you don't understand the explanations....you DON'T experience this phenomenon.
Who says that you have to experience them at the same time? Why cannot one be the driving force behind the other?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
Who says that you have to experience them at the same time? Why cannot one be the driving force behind the other?
Ummmmm please actually read the post I was responding to. Take note of the "highlighted" phrase, which I directly addressed. Simultaneously, MEANS at the same time!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:07 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,297,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Ummmmm please actually read the post I was responding to. Take note of the "highlighted" phrase, which I directly addressed. Simultaneously, MEANS at the same time!
OOPS! My bad! I misread your post!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:13 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I have never understood what people mean when they say they love someone but don't like them. I think that this is just a sentiment that sounds good . . . but I am open to learning more about this dynamic and just EXACTLY what is meant by it.

If I don't like someone, I certainly don't love them . . . My theory is that there are people it is tabu to dislike and not love either, so someone came up with the lame sentiment "I love him but I don't like him."

Please show me the error of my thinking and explain EXACTLY what you mean about not liking someone but loving them.

It is a totally incongruent idea to me.
I use that expression to refer to family members because in the grand scheme of things, I love my family. I just don't like their weakness and character defects. Especially if they clash with mine!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:15 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sorry, but being "in love" with someone and "loving" someone are two completely different things, so this statement is not "idiotic".

I am "in love" with my husband.

I only "love" my mother.

If I fall out of love with my husband, I can still love him as the father of my children and like an old friend. See?
What I mean is that this is an idiotic statement for a significant other to say to someone. If that is your thoughts it's time to break up or divorce.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
What I mean is that this is an idiotic statement for a significant other to say to someone. If that is your thoughts it's time to break up or divorce.
Our OP has asked us not to discuss this on her thread as she considers it off topic.

Anyone posting here long enough who's been paying attention knows I'm absolutely head over heels in love with my husband. Just saying that some women do use that "idiotic" statement when they fall out of love with their husbands and break things off. Doesn't mean they don't love the man as a friend or father of their children. Let's go to dm if that's not clear enough for you

Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
OOPS! My bad! I misread your post!
LOL...no problem, been know to make the same mistake a time or two myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships