Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:05 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephie View Post
Only when the facial hair becomes uncomfortable.
(SNIP) (for brevity)

That's awesome! You're the most natural family on earth. You don't want your daughter growing up thinking she must wear makeup. So teach her that. However, the rest of the world isn't obligated not to wear makeup in order to support families that don't condone makeup. I get what you're saying -- I'm a woman, I understand. BUT live and let live. Makeup has been around as far as we know since the dawn of civilization, for both women and men. It's going to stay because we love to decorate -- ourselves, our homes, everything.

I know the common stance among most people is that we're way more focused on looks today than at any other time in history, but this is false. You don't even want to know the body modifications, some fatal, that both women and men have gone to throughout history. Things being "more simple" as far as looks and society goes, is a myth.

Teach your daughter how you want; looks will always be interesting to people and animals and anything that lives and can see. If you feel makeup is harmful in some way, teach your daughter that you don't think it's right to wear it. The rest of society will probably go right along decorating anything they can, including themselves/ourselves, because that's what humans do. I love it. It's art and it's creativity. You don't have to love it. That's your prerogative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 06:06 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Dont know about you but this is the image i got from that post:

Not good...to be honest
I've never done Steroids or HGH. And you have to, to look like that.

But you wouldn't believe how many men pay big bucks to be with women who look like that. Aside from hooking up electrodes to guys, it would be hard to get accurate figures on what percentage are turned on by that look. But it's a sizable percentage. I'd love to see the numbers from a really good study.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mephie View Post

I never claimed that wearing makeup made you unnatural, I just quoted someone who claimed they can look natural while wearing makeup. I assumed that "natural", in that case, meant the same as without makeup
Not necessarily. I never had freckles in my life until I moved to a climate that has, I believe, one of the highest sun indices in the nation. Naturally, I never had freckles. Right now, I do...I suppose also naturally, since it's the sun doing it. So which was "natural"?

It's obvious what "looking natural while wearing makeup" generally means. I think you may be deliberately just not understanding that, based on semantics. Obviously it means how one would naturally look if one had had enough sleep (so many of us don't get that), had normal exposure to the sun (we live very UNnaturally indoors much of the time), etc. If we looked 100% natural all the time, we'd look different every single day. Some of us wear makeup and we look different than we did when we woke up but similar to how we looked last week. (shrug) Is it such a big deal?

It's pretty obvious that "natural looking" makeup v. "unnatural looking" makeup doesn't mean NO makeup v. even the tiniest bit of cosmetic addition. Unless one has grown up tied to a bed with sound insulation around all the walls, one pretty much knows this.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
LOL.

Here's a video (a make-up tutorial) where sceptical men can see for themselves how light or natural-looking make-up can conceal imperfections and enhance specific facial features:
Let me show you mine! Of course, that's not even only make-up. FraudShop is involved, too.

I bet at least half of us here look better without the tricks!

Celebrities Without Makeup...OMG - YouTube

SHOCKING!!!!....Celebrities Without Make-up - YouTube

The Power Of Makeup - t0nyaxiong - YouTube

Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,651 times
It's no problem if she isn't fat, and has lots of feminine qualities.

There was a thread here about pretty boys vs metro's and I think the same things apply here. If a woman is feminine enough she can wear just about anything and look good. It's the girls who aren't that have to work hard. A bit earlier I saw a young girl working in a local supermarket, she was wearing lots of makeup and from an initial glance her look was quite pleasing but the closer I observed her features I noticed someone that looked like King Koopa from the Mario Bros. games of my childhood.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:45 PM

243 posts, read 547,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Let me show you mine! Of course, that's not even only make-up. FraudShop is involved, too.

I bet at least half of us here look better without the tricks!
+10

FraudShop is pretty good. I've upgraded to FotoShop recently:

Fotoshop by Adobé - YouTube

Makeup can't compete with computers

Old 01-13-2012, 06:50 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarlm View Post
Makeup can't compete with computers
No, it can't. Those creatures simply do not exist.

I posted this before looking at the video! It's cool!;-)

Old 01-13-2012, 06:52 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I wear no make up and don't think I really have to and if someone thinks otherwise....oh well, I suppose =)

Old 01-13-2012, 07:04 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Ummm, GrandviewGloria...with all due respect, I have known dozens and dozens of super made-up looking women in high positions in companies. Including owning them...being the VP...Sorry. I think you're incorrect with that.

I also think the last paragraph happened in your own mind, but that's just my feeling on it. If you're happy with your look why would you need to spin a whole spiteful mini-quarrel between an unknown husband and wife over how great you look? That to me screams insecurity...and just as wearing makeup can't magically give one a sense of self-worth, eschewing makeup can't magically give one a sense of self-worth. It sounds like there's so much going on for you beyond makeup where it comes to self-worth.
I'd bet the entire scenario is fiction.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:40 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarlm View Post
Haha that is so true and funny! We're so used to seeing women with makeup they look weird without it, like something is missing!

What I'm annoyed about is how UNIVERSAL make-up has been. I often hear some women even say that women are naturally better looking than men. Naturally? Excuse me, are you forgetting something? That is absolute BS. Ever seen photos from the 1800s? The women often looked as masculine as men! I'm not gay but a lot of the men in those days looked prettier than the women. There were still beautiful women, but it was easier to identify them because they were natural beauties. Most women with makeup are kinda cute on first appearances but look closer and I don't find them that attractive. The ones who wear more makeup - well, they're usually on the ugly side. There is a decent percentage who are naturally beautiful.

I have no problem with a bit of makeup to enhance your beauty, but not a fan of those who mask their face with it. Not that I'd turn a girl down, but that's just my preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships