Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,358,833 times

Advertisements

Intentionally? Hell No. There is enough problems dating supposedly "normal" people as it is....why will i want to up the ante by dating someone with the potential to be worse than the "normal" ones....i'll pass!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buick>Import View Post
Psychosis isn't really something I would consider damaged goods. Its a condition in which someone is born with a genetic predisposition to. Either way the stimga and lies that plague mental disorders such as schizophrenia are what keep most people from living meaningful lives and becoming a functioning part of society. Too many morons in this country think of movies such as Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Psycho when they find out someone has a disorder such as Schizoaffective or Schizophrenia.
Just a figure of speech.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM

440 posts, read 549,789 times
This is a tricky concept, I am not sure what a Psychotic Break really means.

If there is some serious deep seated issues that occured , I would run for the hills. Anything with physically harming oneself or another person, is a deal breaker.

I have dealt with many girls that have went to rehab (drugs) or went to a program for stress and anxiety.. In this day and age , it happens more often than expected.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Of course you would! It's not like you'd know.
If I didn't know and the person seemed cool, then yeah.

A 'psychotic break' could come from many things. My concern is if it's something that was "fixed" and not about to happen again.

I would not KNOWINGLY deal with someone taking medication for mental illnesses such bipolar or schizophrenic disorders or for anything where they need to keep taking something to stay "lucid".

This is unnecessary drama for me.

Now, if the person suddenly developed these things while we are in a relationship, I would make certain that he knew that if he STOPPED taking his meds and went on a psychotic binge, then that would be end of our relationship. Those people are scary when they don't take them and I refuse to live in fear or deal with the drama.

I don't care how cold or callous that sounds, but I can't do mental illness or drug addicts. I think my father was an undiagnosed bipolar person, so I know my tolerance level would be practically nil, because I had to cut him off after awhile.

Life's too short and already difficult as it is for that mess.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:32 PM

228 posts, read 421,732 times
This is a toughie. I did date and eventually marry a man that did experience psychotic breaks. He was bipolar, type II. He was highly functioning, though.

We went to therapy together to learn how to manage his bipolar disorder as a couple. Sometimes it was a struggle to get him to realize that his disease was a chronic disorder that would always require specialized, managed care. His mother constantly told him that he didn't need medicine and therapy, that he could just get better on his own. I cannot begin to describe how damaging that was to him, and how frustrating it was for me. He would come off his meds and stop therapy, only to bottom out horrendously and then feel like a failure because he couldn't live up to his mother's expectations. Unfortunately, the story does not end well. He died by a self-inflicted gunshot wound in 2009.

Now, that is a hell I would not re-visit. I would date someone again that had mental health issues if they were highly functioning and everyone in their circle was on board with their maintenance/recovery. I am not insinuating that it was his mother's fault that he died by suicide, I'm just saying that dealing with her lack of education (er, willful ignorance) on the subject was more of an obstacle than his actual disease.

This is probably more info than you wanted, OP, but I just want to say that you shouldn't keep it a secret. As long as you are honest with yourself and you are proactive and committed when it comes to improving and maintaining your mental health, you will find someone that will love you and stand by you for the long haul. Don't put a strain on your mental health by living in fear of whether or not your history will be revealed, either by word of mouth or another possible psychotic break.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:20 PM

96 posts, read 101,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
This is a tricky concept, I am not sure what a Psychotic Break really means.

If there is some serious deep seated issues that occured , I would run for the hills. Anything with physically harming oneself or another person, is a deal breaker.

I have dealt with many girls that have went to rehab (drugs) or went to a program for stress and anxiety.. In this day and age , it happens more often than expected.
Psychotic breaks are when you relapse after days, months or years of showing no symptoms and appear to be a "normal" person you have sort of mental breakdown or manic episode.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
There is enough problems dating supposedly "normal" people as it is....
Where the heck do you find those...?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:37 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riotsquirrelz View Post
This is a toughie. I did date and eventually marry a man that did experience psychotic breaks. He was bipolar, type II. He was highly functioning, though.

We went to therapy together to learn how to manage his bipolar disorder as a couple. Sometimes it was a struggle to get him to realize that his disease was a chronic disorder that would always require specialized, managed care. His mother constantly told him that he didn't need medicine and therapy, that he could just get better on his own. I cannot begin to describe how damaging that was to him, and how frustrating it was for me. He would come off his meds and stop therapy, only to bottom out horrendously and then feel like a failure because he couldn't live up to his mother's expectations. Unfortunately, the story does not end well. He died by a self-inflicted gunshot wound in 2009.

Now, that is a hell I would not re-visit. I would date someone again that had mental health issues if they were highly functioning and everyone in their circle was on board with their maintenance/recovery. I am not insinuating that it was his mother's fault that he died by suicide, I'm just saying that dealing with her lack of education (er, willful ignorance) on the subject was more of an obstacle than his actual disease.

This is probably more info than you wanted, OP, but I just want to say that you shouldn't keep it a secret. As long as you are honest with yourself and you are proactive and committed when it comes to improving and maintaining your mental health, you will find someone that will love you and stand by you for the long haul. Don't put a strain on your mental health by living in fear of whether or not your history will be revealed, either by word of mouth or another possible psychotic break.
A friend's uncle died under very similar circumstances...ie a mother who opposed therapy/treatment.

A "psychotic break" can have many manifestations and triggers, some of which may have been unknowingly experienced by members of this forum. I myself had an episode after my mother died. It was a "traumatic" death from uterine cancer. The diagnosis came in April 2011 with a "95% chance" (Sloan-Kettering's words) that Mom would be able to teach for the following school year beginning Sept. 2011. The first cat scan (June 6) showed a catastrophic reverse with chances dropping to 25% and by the end of July. I had gone back to college a few days after diagnosis when Spring Break was over with a calculated optimism. I came back in late May and heard that bomb shell a week after I finished junior year. My sister finished sophomore year. Over the summer, I played (willingly) nursemaid. Fetching the vomit bucket, cooking, cleaning, looking after the dog, groceries etc. My sister was out drinking, smoking, and banging her beau. I got to watch mom starve to death because she had a uterine tumor as big as a third trimester pregnancy.

My maternal grandfather had my mother sign a document 48 hours before she died putting the house, all the money, and mom's jewelry in a trust (this wasn't the Burgundian Inheritance...mom was a schoolteacher). Further, my father (legally separated for reasons of alcoholism) was brought back to live with us. A week before she died on Sept 8, he sprang on us that he was bringing a new dog that is a security K-9 dog. We already have a Siberian husky. My father was the sort to hand out criticisms for free and hoarded compliments. There's no more warmth between us than there is between two ice cubes. My last words (in tears) to my mother were "Why did you marry him?" A day after the funeral, when my sister was bringing "guests" back home. My aunt stopped by within a day or two of the funeral. I tripped on something...and I lost it.

I cursed (mind you, I screamed this) my father for...existing, bring the dog, etc. I cursed my sister for being a disgrace. I cursed my grandfather for leaving me with no rights to my mother's property for "tax reasons" and for letting mom marry him, bankroll the wedding, and so on. Some chairs were knocked over. Nonetheless, it was fairly violent/turbulent episode underpinned by severe depression and emotional exhaustion. My aunt has a tendency towards exaggeration, but so I practically handed her the juiciest fillet mignon to peddle to the family. Given the conversations I have with them, I wonder what they're afraid I am going to do.

As for my grandfather, he addressed me some days later telling me that "You can't do that. You need to calm down." I told him that I was weak after a summer of torment and the funeral sapped what was left. The reply ignored that and said, "You need to control yourself and or it will cost you your job." I said, "This is not a character weakness. It's a reaction to a unique and extreme stress." Didn't matter. To hell with him. I'll take the $1 million+ I get via my mother when he dies.

My mother was buried on Sept 11, I had this "chat" with Grandad on the 15th, and I was on a plane back to school on the 17th.

I was and still am not in any fit state to date. The road back to dating is essentially the same: we sort out our problems until we are again emotionally ready to date. My encounter essentially ripped my heart out, and I've been a much colder person since then, preferring the closest and oldest friends to building deep relationships with new people. As I do not know what your incident entailed, you will most likely have a different path.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
OP-what kind of psychotic break are we talking about?? (if you don't mind sharing)

Old 02-21-2012, 03:56 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,358,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Where the heck do you find those...?
lol, in Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships