Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:49 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times

Advertisements

Also...never heard of it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 07:56 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I am in my early 30s...a guy.

I have noticed a TON of women I have known in the past decade (early 20s to early 30s is prime dating, engagement, marrige time) do this habit, and it annoys the heck out of me.

When they are dating a guy, he is "John", "Rick", "Phil", "Andy", "Jer", etc., etc., etc.

However, seemingly from the second they get engaged, the names change to the full given name that no one except maybe the guy's parents call him (including her herself)...the name - even after she's been calling him his short name for years - instantly turns into "Jonathan", "Richard", "Philip", "Andrew", "Jeremiah", etc. It bugs the heck out of me!!

And even if she is a Jenny or a Beth, when she refers to herself AND her spouse, then she turns into a Jennifer or an Elizabeth.

Ladies...you know you do this (or if you do not, you know many ladies that do)...WHY, WHY, WHY do women do this!?

Men...if your fiance/wife did/does this, why did she do it, and does it bug you (honestly?).

My wife seems almost to be in the minority with this, as she never once called me by my "full" name after engagement/marriage, except if she is screwing around with me.

I would love to hear the reasons behind why this happens so much!
I understand what you mean, and it drives me crazy too!

When my best friend in college decided to get married (he was 10 yrs older) she suddenly turned into Mrs. so and so. She even gave me a Christmas card and signed it "the so and so's" rather than just putting her first name on it. It was wierd.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:07 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
I've never noticed that. It may be one of those things unique to the area that you live in.

Why do women get fat after they marry?? Thats my question.....

Old 09-09-2007, 10:16 PM

27,344 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Ive never done it. Towards the end of my last marriage though, the kids started calling him 'the beast', 'moms parole officer' (figure of speech, of course) and other 'choice' names, and even stopped calling him 'dad'. When they did have something to say to him they would simply approach him and just ask the question or tell him whatever it was they needed to tell him without addressing him as anything, but Ive always called him by his first name. Period. Never abbreviated a boyfriends or husbands name, Robert has always been Robert, Don has always been Don, Kevin has always been Kevin (how would you abbreviate that one anyway??) etc etc.
And Ive never really ever noticed anyone I know that may have done it but its a good question to ask: 'why'?

Old 09-10-2007, 12:12 AM

2 posts, read 7,846 times
My husband has a real name? After 12 years I thought it was Hey!

Old 09-10-2007, 06:09 AM

27,344 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer Lily View Post
My husband has a real name? After 12 years I thought it was Hey!

Lol stargazer.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
I'm going with it being a "regional" thing.......I'm in Texas....can't imagine Billy Bob every being called William Robert!

Seriously....I really can't think of one person where this has happened. If anything....they start out with a more formal name and end up with something like "Poopsie".....or "Geech"! Forget what the husbands call their wives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships