Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times

Advertisements

As usual with this forum, sweeping generalisations are the order of the day!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
This doesn't make sense. Modern American feminists tend to be largely comprised of educated women. I say this because based on a presentation I recently saw on line. There seems to be a strong presence in uni’s and colleges. Educated people tend to hail from higher SES backgrounds. Education and SES are both correlated with health and level of fitness.

So, these women will tend to be fit (not saying there are no fat feminists, but noting it's more likely to go the other way) compared to their less educated, more traditional counterparts. You can read about it here if interested.

Several fallacies here:
a. We're not using all American women as a sample group when talking about Britain, Ireland, and urban America. I chose those areas for a reason, because they have similar wealth, education, and SES. Therefore attempting to break them down by wealth, education, and SES is a totally different topic, where you're really just measuring the differences between fat, traditional Mississippi and fit, feminist Manhattan; if your goal is to try and model this with numbers, the goal would be to measure weight of feminist vs. nonfeminist in Manhattan, and weight of feminist vs. nonfeminist in Mississippi. To do this you would normalize by economic status, which is not what you did.

b. You're just pointing out the correlation between poor/uneducated and fat, and then trying to equate "educated" and "feminist" as the same thing. A might be correlated with B, B might be correlated with C, but that doesn't make A correlated with C.

c. My sample group is observational.

d. We don't even agree on what the word "feminist" means in the first place.

Quote:
Compared to American men, OTOH, where 65-70% are overweight, the balance between the two probably leans to your side as far as flab goes.
What does this mean, leans to your side ?

What is my side ?

Quote:
With that said, I think the trashy fat stuff has more to do with those charging than anyone on the receiving end of insults. It's funny how that works when it comes to trash talk.
So what, specifically, are you saying about "those charging" ? If you're going to insult me I'd at least like a more specific insult.

Last edited by le roi; 03-05-2012 at 10:08 AM..

Old 03-05-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
You've never been to the UK or Ireland I assume?
you assume wrong.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:29 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSprings1 View Post
The good American women are married early. The others have confused their rolls. This stems from broken homes. American men would be 100 times happier with woman from another country. (not just Europe of Course)
Talk about confusing your roles! Ba bum ch!

I'm curious, what makes a good wife? Is it the 1950s style housewife then I don't think you should turn to any women in Western Europe, they're more independent and less likely to marry than American women. Perhaps the eastern European and former soviet countries have more subservient women, you know, the type of countries infamous for providing mail order brides. It seems many women there are taught that beauty and devotion to their husband are their most important duties and we've all heard how those romances play out...

However, I live in the south where it is many young ladies' plan to get engaged in college, marry just after, and begin having babies within the first couple years of marriage. My friend is 23 and just announced she's pregnant with her third. I have my suspicions that the ladies of the American south are not representative of all Americans.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:47 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
I'm curious, what makes a good wife? Is it the 1950s style housewife then I don't think you should turn to any women in Western Europe, they're more independent and less likely to marry than American women. Perhaps the eastern European and former soviet countries have more subservient women, you know, the type of countries infamous for providing mail order brides. It seems many women there are taught that beauty and devotion to their husband are their most important duties and we've all heard how those romances play out...
Yeah, we all know that when these dudes are talking about how "foreign women" are better, they're not referring to a French biochemist or a German college professor.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Default European women make better wives...

Here I was thinking Asian women make better wives.

Men just can't seem to make up their mind can they

Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Several fallacies here:
a. We're not using all American women as a sample group when talking about Britain, Ireland, and urban America. I chose those areas for a reason, because they have similar wealth, education, and SES. Therefore attempting to break them down by wealth, education, and SES is a totally different topic, where you're really just measuring the differences between fat, traditional Mississippi and fit, feminist Manhattan; if your goal is to try and model this with numbers, the goal would be to measure weight of feminist vs. nonfeminist in Manhattan, and weight of feminist vs. nonfeminist in Mississippi. To do this you would normalize by economic status, which is not what you did.
This is interesting. You take issue with my reasoning, which is fine. I correlate fair variables in ten minutes on my phone. You, OTOH, just characterize feminists as fat and do not offer any reasoning. You do not apply your own suggestions. This makes sense to you? You just invalidated your own statements.

Quote:
You're just pointing out the correlation between poor/uneducated and fat, and then trying to equate "educated" and "feminist" as the same thing. A might be correlated with B, B might be correlated with C, but that doesn't make A correlated with C.
feminists do tend to be educated. I want you to tell me why they are fat.

Quote:
. My sample group is observational.
lol of course. This is what you see when you travel around, eh?Perhaps you can mention some tv as well.

Quote:
We don't even agree on what the word "feminist" means in the first place.
how about we just stick to the dictionary definition. That seems to work well enough for most words.

Quote:
What does this mean, leans to your side ?
Men. There are more over weight men than women in the US and most likely there are a he'll of a lot more over weight men than female feminists.
Quote:
So what, specifically, are you saying about "those charging" ? If you're going to insult me I'd at least like a more specific insult.
I don't know why you need this spelled out. Given the fact that you have provided zero, rational reason for characterizing feminists as fat I suggest it has more to do with you than any woman you don't know and will never meet. I can't know what it's specifically about. Only you can know that because it's you. Understand?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
However, I live in the south where it is many young ladies' plan to get engaged in college, marry just after, and begin having babies within the first couple years of marriage. My friend is 23 and just announced she's pregnant with her third. I have my suspicions that the ladies of the American south are not representative of all Americans.
I have a suspicion that your friends are not representative of all southerners.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
This is interesting. You take issue with my reasoning, which is fine. I correlate fair variables in ten minutes on my phone.
yup, to me it's not a question that i would try and answer with statistical analysis. but you tried , and screwed it up.

Quote:
You, OTOH, just characterize feminists as fat and do not offer any reasoning. You do not apply your own suggestions.
Uh, I don't apply your logic to my reasoning, no. i'm just giving my views; you're the one intent on attacking me with dubious statistical analysis done "in ten minutes on your phone."

Quote:
feminists do tend to be educated. I want you to tell me why they are fat.
i guess it has to do with diet? or they may be genetically predisposed for it.

Quote:
how about we just stick to the dictionary definition. That seems to work well enough for most words.
that depends on the word's context, whether the dictionary definition hits the mark, or not.

Quote:
I don't know why you need this spelled out. Given the fact that you have provided zero, rational reason for characterizing feminists as fat I suggest it has more to do with you than any woman you don't know and will never meet.
you seem to be under the misconception that i need to convince you of my views that feminists represent a more sexually undesirable part of the female population. I don't. I have made my judgements and you're welcome to try and change them -- but I don't feel compelled to justify what I've seen.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSprings1 View Post
Lets face it. Most good American women are in commited relationships and married in their 20s. The rest of American women have issues with men, been hurt/damaged, only think about themselves, been living the single life for so long that they don't know anything else.

American men would be 100 times happier with woman from another country. (not just Europe of Course)
I wouldn't say married by their early20s, but by their late 20s - that's when the "good ones" go off the shelf - and remain so. If they have a smart husband, he knows "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." True about your list as to why women stay single past this period, for the most part.

About the last sentence, don't take for granted that caucasian American men would be happier with a woman from another country. Many times, they are categorically not attracted to other races, and are not interested in living another culture 24/7, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships