Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM

19,770 posts, read 20,340,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The only reason would be for the sex. It seems unfair to not cut the person loose and let them move on to find someone who would be a better fit, but this type of relationship that's more about passing the time until something better comes along is pretty common. It's better to be honest with the person and break up before you find a better match, so that you don't have to dump them abruptly and cause even more drama than otherwise, but this doesn't seem to be the way some people operate.
For me though, this realization doesn't really set in until much later...

I mean, everything is so wonderful and perfect and it usually doesn't hit me (or him) that we're "not a match" until after a year or so.

People are there to help us grow. And we help them in return, so it's not necessarily wasting time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:03 PM

479 posts, read 836,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I was wondering why some people will keep dating someone that they know there is no possiblity of having a future with? I mean, if you KNOW they aren't "the one" what is the point? Isn't it just a waste of both of your time? Isn't that the point of dating? To find someone that you want to marry, or at the very least, have something with them that resembles a marriage? Like a long term relationship where you both "settle down" with one another, even if you don't actually want to go through the motions of getting married?

I can see someone saying that they are "just having fun" or something to that effect but with an expiration date on it, it just seems like a waste of valuable time. { imho }

So why stay with someone knowing there is no future with them?
"The one" is a myth. At least 40 percent of the population today says that marriage is obsolete. Considering the divorse statistics, serial monogomy seems more rational and realistic.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:09 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,169,868 times
Society has changed a lot. Many couples get together very well aware of the fact that they probably won't 'last the distance', but I'm sure they are giving it a good shot. I don't think most couples get together PLANNING to break-up, like I don't think they think to themselves 'we'll probably only last a year but I'll go with it.' If they feel the love is getting cold, they usually call it quits unless something is pressuring them to stay in the relationship.

Marriage isn't really on the decline, actually. I see a resurgence in the popularity of marriage. The gay marriage debate HIGHLIGHTS that if anything. 20 years ago most homosexuals weren't even that concerned with getting married or whether gays had the right to marry.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:13 PM

102,268 posts, read 108,310,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
For me though, this realization doesn't really set in until much later...

I mean, everything is so wonderful and perfect and it usually doesn't hit me (or him) that we're "not a match" until after a year or so.

People are there to help us grow. And we help them in return, so it's not necessarily wasting time...
You're right, people don't realize it's not a good match until some time has passed, but that's not the situation the OP is addressing. The OP is about why continue after you know the person isn't a serious candidate for marriage. Why use someone just to mark time?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:17 PM

479 posts, read 836,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Society has changed a lot. Many couples get together very well aware of the fact that they probably won't 'last the distance', but I'm sure they are giving it a good shot. I don't think most couples get together PLANNING to break-up, like I don't think they think to themselves 'we'll probably only last a year but I'll go with it.' If they feel the love is getting cold, they usually call it quits unless something is pressuring them to stay in the relationship.

Marriage isn't really on the decline, actually. I see a resurgence in the popularity of marriage. The gay marriage debate HIGHLIGHTS that if anything. 20 years ago most homosexuals weren't even that concerned with getting married or whether gays had the right to marry.
Actually, marriage is on the decline...siginificantly on the decline. There have been many articles on the topic since the most recent census.

It's a global type of happening. More so noticable in Asia, specifically Japan.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:25 PM

27,687 posts, read 28,796,163 times
Quote:
I was wondering why some people will keep dating someone that they know there is no possiblity of having a future with? I mean, if you KNOW they aren't "the one" what is the point?
I've never done that and I agree there is no point to it.

Others may disagree, however. Maybe they think that dating is some kind of a hobby for them. Who knows?

Old 06-01-2012, 08:47 PM

199 posts, read 391,824 times
I would never date someone who didn't seem to be marriage material.....

Old 06-01-2012, 08:52 PM

733 posts, read 1,665,923 times
I often wonder the same thing.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,029,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
Actually, marriage is on the decline...siginificantly on the decline. There have been many articles on the topic since the most recent census.

It's a global type of happening. More so noticable in Asia, specifically Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Trimac, that's interesting -- I haven't heard of the trend before -- do have any stats/info on this? Is it from personal experience, in your city or country or more?

I hear more about the trend above that the other poster tegota is mentioning -- the decline of marriage, but I'm curious as to what you are saying (it's possible to have local trends in one direction at the same time another is happening).

Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,861,645 times
Quote:
I was wondering why some people will keep dating someone that they know there is no possiblity of having a future with? I mean, if you KNOW they aren't "the one" what is the point? Isn't it just a waste of both of your time? Isn't that the point of dating? To find someone that you want to marry, or at the very least, have something with them that resembles a marriage? Like a long term relationship where you both "settle down" with one another, even if you don't actually want to go through the motions of getting married?

I can see someone saying that they are "just having fun" or something to that effect but with an expiration date on it, it just seems like a waste of valuable time. { imho }

So why stay with someone knowing there is no future with them?

Dating is not always a means to an end

Sometimes it's just a way to have fun and enjoy some good companionship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships