Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times

Advertisements

Months ago, I fell pretty hard for a co-worker of mine who I spent a lot of time with. Let's call her Woman A. When I went for her, she subsequently rejected me. It messed me up pretty bad.

I decided to subsequently limit contact with her and start dating other women. I also no longer work at that place.

One of the women I started dating really took a liking to me and I like her too. She is really sweet and I like many things about her. She is my girlfriend now and has been since the new year. Let's call her Woman B.

Here's the problem. I cannot get Woman A out of my head. I think about her all the time. I think about her more than my girlfriend, I think about her while I'm having sex with my girlfriend. While I'm taking my girlfriend to Valentine's Day dinner, thoughts come into my head of what it would be like to be there with Woman A. Like just thinking about Woman A with clothes on makes me sexually aroused. It's REALLY bad. And it's not like there's a big difference between them in physical attractiveness. There isn't.

At first, I was just like, it's stupid emotional residue, it'll fade. But it has not. It's been over four months. I do keep in contact with Woman A, but it's very limited. Only text or facebook maybe once a month. I try really hard to block it out. It bothers me a lot that I can't stop thinking about her and it's not really fair to my girlfriend either (though she has no clue).

I guess this is more of a vent. I am not going to break up with my girlfriend. But anybody ever in a similar situation could chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,910 times
Sounds like a personal problem.

I don't know what to tell you, that's typically a girl problem from my experiences but I don't what to tell you, that's pretty messed up.

Just try to forget about her and focus on the girl you're with. Otherwise, if you're really bold, go after Woman A again.

Do what makes you happy.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,889 times
Sounds like you are suffering from a case of "the grass is greener on the other side" syndrome. You need to either snap out of it quickly and focus on the one you're with ...OR let her (current GF) go so you can pursue the one that rejected you; leaving the door open for someone that deserves her to step in.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 AM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Been there, You put a lot of effort in pursuing someone, only to be rejected. Happens all the time. Fortunately it's only occured a couple of times in my life.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,149 times
If you are still thinking about that first woman even while you are dating your current girlfriend then I don't put much faith in your current relationship succeeding. What attracted you to the first woman? Was it just looks or some aspect(s) of her personality?

You sound like another one of those people that can't be alone and will date any available person to avoid it. Please don't marry someone you don't love--you'll end up divorced.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,215,268 times
Your feelings for woman A are definitely much stronger than B. This could also be one of those deals in which your feelings for A are amplified because you can't have her and B is too much of a "sure thing". You probably should have spent more time single after A rejected you or taken things a little slower with B. Either way, I agree with the others that this is something you either need to get over or let B go. It's okay to be attracted to someone else but it seems like you're in too deep with B to pining over another girl this hard.

It's also difficult when you're involved with someone at work. It would probably be easier to deal with if you didn't have to see girl A so often. Just before I started dating my girlfriend I was rejected by a girl I really liked. However, that was over eight months ago and I haven't talked to the other girl since.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Months ago, I fell pretty hard for a co-worker of mine who I spent a lot of time with. Let's call her Woman A. When I went for her, she subsequently rejected me. It messed me up pretty bad.

I decided to subsequently limit contact with her and start dating other women. I also no longer work at that place.

One of the women I started dating really took a liking to me and I like her too. She is really sweet and I like many things about her. She is my girlfriend now and has been since the new year. Let's call her Woman B.

Here's the problem. I cannot get Woman A out of my head. I think about her all the time. I think about her more than my girlfriend, I think about her while I'm having sex with my girlfriend. While I'm taking my girlfriend to Valentine's Day dinner, thoughts come into my head of what it would be like to be there with Woman A. Like just thinking about Woman A with clothes on makes me sexually aroused. It's REALLY bad. And it's not like there's a big difference between them in physical attractiveness. There isn't.

At first, I was just like, it's stupid emotional residue, it'll fade. But it has not. It's been over four months. I do keep in contact with Woman A, but it's very limited. Only text or facebook maybe once a month. I try really hard to block it out. It bothers me a lot that I can't stop thinking about her and it's not really fair to my girlfriend either (though she has no clue).

I guess this is more of a vent. I am not going to break up with my girlfriend. But anybody ever in a similar situation could chime in.
How unfortunate for your current girlfriend (the last comment). You're right, it's not fair to her. Let her go so she can find someone who's as crazy about her as You are about....woman A.

She may, as you say, have no clue. But she will suffer for it just the same until you let her go find real love.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,284,326 times
Yes I was in a similar situation, but it was in elementary school. It's time for you to face the facts: she never had feelings for you and never will. You have a CRUSH on her, that's it. There's no emotional residue, you never fell in love with her, that's just ridiculous, irrational thinking.

So now you have two options.

Door A is that you forget about something you never had, stop with the fantasies and infatuation, and realize that you're an ADULT and you need to be the master of your own thoughts and mind.

Door B is that you obsess over a random girl and let it ruin the rest of your current relationship, future dating life, and mental health.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
Yes I was in a similar situation, but it was in elementary school. It's time for you to face the facts: she never had feelings for you and never will. You have a CRUSH on her, that's it. There's no emotional residue, you never fell in love with her, that's just ridiculous, irrational thinking.

So now you have two options.

Door A is that you forget about something you never had, stop with the fantasies and infatuation, and realize that you're an ADULT and you need to be the master of your own thoughts and mind.

Door B is that you obsess over a random girl and let it ruin the rest of your current relationship, future dating life, and mental health.
You are right and we ALL have this rational side to us. Part of us says "Get over it, get a grip"! The other part says "I'll never feel this way again....I am so in love with this person".

Do you let your head or heart win?

We are not just a body, not just a mind...we are Spirit, Soul, Miind and Body....and so many things come into play when you meet a human being you are attracted to. Sometimes the chemistry is hard to understand, the WHY's...you are just attracted to that person and is goes much deeper than looks.

So yes, he has a decision to make....but it will be far from easy. He should let his current girlfriend go though.....even just for a while, so he can be alone and think.....maybe approach Girl A again - worth a try, if she rejects you again then at least you tried.

We humans are more than machines that is for sure!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:34 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,550 times
She rejected you. You need to let go. Jennifer Garner would certainly reject me, even though I'm in love with her. What that means is that I just can't have her as my girlfriend. It's that simple. And, yes, I'm over it.

My advice to you is no more texts and no more emails.

And if you really, really can't let go, I'd consider talking to a therapist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships