Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times

Advertisements

I am a virgin because I turned a woman down the she refused to take an STD test. I don't regret that decision. What do all of you think of getting tested and showing the results to a partner? There is no reason why anyone has to get or spread these various diseases, nor is there a reason why I should accept an std as a result of being in a relationship with someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 05:33 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
I think the testing can be a good thing - but I wouldn't make them show me the results. I either trust him or I don't. If I ask him to get tested, he does, and everything comes back a-ok - I'm not going to ask to see the results. I've never had sex with someone I didn't trust.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:38 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,577,082 times
You are taking STD's way too seriously. It's not that big of a risk for a heterosexual white male (I'm assuming you are white). The benefits of sex outweighs the STD risks. STD's aren't a big deal. You aren't getting AIDS and you aren't getting an STD that will threaten your life.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:38 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
I'm thinking more along the lines of mandatory IQ tests...

Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I am a virgin because I turned a woman down the she refused to take an STD test. I don't regret that decision. What do all of you think of getting tested and showing the results to a partner? There is no reason why anyone has to get or spread these various diseases, nor is there a reason why I should accept an std as a result of being in a relationship with someone.
I don't think there's anything wrong with requesting that a partner take an STD test and provide proof of the results. I only requested that my ex get tested for HIV, but not for any other STDs.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
You are right on the money, kid.

If you get involved with someone to the point of going without a raincoat, you both need to march down to the doctor for tests ... and go get your results together. If she refuses to test, then you can't trust the situation.

Brief story:
Had a friend from grad school. Stayed friends with him after school for several years. He went to a good high school in an affluent part of Houston. He told me he had sex with a girl while a minor, for the first time, and contracted gonorrhea. Gonorrhea is curable. For some reason, it was his Mom who accompanied him to the doctor. I always thought that doctors are supposed to treat minors for STDs without parental notification, but I could be wrong. I think she put him through quite a guilt trip. From what I could surmise, his Mom was the steamroller and his Dad was laid-back. That he actually mentioned it a couple of times indicates this was a traumatic event for him.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:43 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
You are taking STD's way too seriously. It's not that big of a risk for a heterosexual white male (I'm assuming you are white). The benefits of sex outweighs the STD risks. STD's aren't a big deal. You aren't getting AIDS and you aren't getting an STD that will threaten your life.
Totally. And most people drive better drunk - so that's not a big deal either. And sharing needles when you are doing drugs is a great way to save on the cost of needles. Looking both ways before you cross the street is overrated, too.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
I'll go and get tested without a problem and hand her the paper to read first. I have nothing to hide.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:46 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
It's not that big of a risk for a heterosexual white male (I'm assuming you are white).

Old 10-10-2012, 05:48 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
Don't profile on this stuff. HIV doesn't "discriminate." I was once watching a talk show where this 40ish, intelligent, and very down-to-earth Midwestern woman living in LA was being interviewed about being HIV-positive. I think she got it from a guy there she had been seeing who had been transfused. Supposedly, this is no longer an issue, but it's a virus, not a person with a brain, so it doesn't say to itself "I'm going to get you, and not you."

In fact, if you go for tests, this one should be at the top of the list, especially for the girl who is sexually active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships