Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date someone who's hobby was pipe smoking?
Yes 19 38.00%
No 24 48.00%
Not Sure 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,905,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
Yeah, I have been around many of them from the simple fact of where I grew up. I remember when I was a kid, all these guys smoked pipes. Driving on the tractor, fire it up, working on a car... fire it up, out in the boat fishing...fire it up, driving in the pick up truck...fire it up, at the shooting range...fire it up. It was very common and I never complained about the smell. Some was wintergreen like smell. I remember those guys tapping the bowel on the heel of their boot before going into somewhere where you couldn't smoke it too. Outdoorsy country men of the past smoked a lot of pipes. Now, not so much, it's mostly cigerettes if anything now. It is another time for smoking and the hate club for guys who smoke. Women would rather have some jerkass who doesn't than someone who does now. I remain in the middle of this arguement! LOL
You might actually be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,339 times
It is interesting to watch the reactions of people with regards to things that carry a social predilection of any sort. On the one hand you have those opposed to the subject at hand and in favor of a secondary topic of the same nature (weed). What sort of social delusion is necessary for one to support the legalization and use of marijuana and be opposed to the use of tobacco. Both are carcinogenic: as a result of their tar and carbon monoxide content, and neither under close scrutiny possesses any notably positive qualities. Yet the social bias remains.

Personally I support the legalization and moderate use of both substances as a result of the inherent reduction in crime, the correlative reduction in underage use, and the clues gained from our governments first stab at prohibition.

As far as the use of a pipe is concerned for tobacco use, I cite a number of reasons in favor of that means. Firstly, as a cigarette smoker, I find that the variety and quality of cigarette tobacco is not only boring, but over priced, low quality and bland all together. A pipe offers a vast array of flavors, qualities and varieties. It is obvious for a number of reasons that cigarette manufacturers have taken ques from the illegal drug industry. They offer a highly addictive, low quality substance (they would cut it with rat poison if it was cheaper) in order to increase profits while lowering costs; they do this regardless of the effect on the consumer. A Tobacconist, on the other hand, takes the opposite focus. They focus on quality, price, variety, etc.

Secondly for me, and many of us who smoke pipes, their is a social association that comes with pipe smoking. Take a moment to look through old photos of the great minds. Hubble, Darwin, Einstein, Russel, Twain, Jung, and countless others are captured at moments enjoying what has now become an archaic social vice. To us this is certainly part of the allure. I understand that intellectualism or greatness of any sort has become a social taboo as of late. Our educational channels showcase "Call of the wild man" and "Too Cute". This is a social commentary that, to me, dictates the state of the minds of our society. No child left behind and lowering of intelligence standards for honors class admissions are another teller of what america values. However, I, for one, still value my brain whatever capacity it may hold, and wish that perhaps one day I will sit with the makers of history. For me it is nice to do something that they enjoyed themselves.

P.S. Sorry it is difficult for me to make a point in less than 1000 words.

Last edited by Samantabhadra; 04-05-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,339 times
Was the guy bout 6 ft, dirty blonde, blue eyed, driving a blue car, with a dog?

Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 PM

19,730 posts, read 20,271,976 times
Bong > pipe.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:02 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,162,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantabhadra View Post
It is interesting to watch the reactions of people with regards to things that carry a social predilection of any sort. On the one hand you have those opposed to the subject at hand and in favor of a secondary topic of the same nature (weed). What sort of social delusion is necessary for one to support the legalization and use of marijuana and be opposed to the use of tobacco. Both are carcinogenic: as a result of their tar and carbon monoxide content, and neither under close scrutiny possesses any notably positive qualities. Yet the social bias remains.

Personally I support the legalization and moderate use of both substances as a result of the inherent reduction in crime, the correlative reduction in underage use, and the clues gained from our governments first stab at prohibition.

As far as the use of a pipe is concerned for tobacco use, I cite a number of reasons in favor of that means. Firstly, as a cigarette smoker, I find that the variety and quality of cigarette tobacco is not only boring, but over priced, low quality and bland all together. A pipe offers a vast array of flavors, qualities and varieties. It is obvious for a number of reasons that cigarette manufacturers have taken ques from the illegal drug industry. They offer a highly addictive, low quality substance (they would cut it with rat poison if it was cheaper) in order to increase profits while lowering costs; they do this regardless of the effect on the consumer. A Tobacconist, on the other hand, takes the opposite focus. They focus on quality, price, variety, etc.

Secondly for me, and many of us who smoke pipes, their is a social association that comes with pipe smoking. Take a moment to look through old photos of the great minds. Hubble, Darwin, Einstein, Russel, Twain, Jung, and countless others are captured at moments enjoying what has now become an archaic social vice. To us this is certainly part of the allure. I understand that intellectualism or greatness of any sort has become a social taboo as of late. Our educational channels showcase "Call of the wild man" and "Too Cute". This is a social commentary that, to me, dictates the state of the minds of our society. No child left behind and lowering of intelligence standards for honors class admissions are another teller of what america values. However, I, for one, still value my brain whatever capacity it may hold, and wish that perhaps one day I will sit with the makers of history. For me it is nice to do something that they enjoyed themselves.

P.S. Sorry it is difficult for me to make a point in less than 1000 words.
Marry me.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:26 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,302,034 times
I smoke a pipe on occasion, and it has never gotten in the way of my dating. I would never smoke a bowl before going out with someone new or if I anticipated kissing someone, though.

The best part of smoking a pipe is the challenge. Packing the perfect bowl, smoking it as slowly as possible while keeping it lit, and keeping the smoke as cool as possible are all menial tasks that keep certain parts of the brain busy while other parts think deeply.

The primary times that I smoke my pipe are when I go camping alone with my dogs and when I write. It is not something I would do on or before a date. I completely understand the "no tobacco in my house/car" attitude as a matter of policy, but as with most other things, people that take a dichotomous stance on any nuanced issue are just showing that they don't have the mental flexibility to simultaneously weight many factors in the course of making a decision. I understand how any vice, physical trait, or personal opinion could be considered a negative, but this yes/no checklist approach to an issue as complex as personal compatibility just screams dull and inflexible.

In addition, the health risks of pipe smoking are vastly overblown. In fact, in a study conducted in 1979 the US surgeon general reported data that indicated that pipe smokers who smoked less than 4 bowls a day lived longer than nonsmokers on average, and other studies showed that "occasional" smokers had no statistical difference in life expectancy if they did not inhale. I think 4 bowls a day is a whole lot, as I smoke maybe 4 bowls a week.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:13 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,376,156 times
Depends on what they're packing the pipe with Don't care for the odor of pipe tobacco, but 420 is fine with me.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:55 PM

832 posts, read 1,418,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
This is mainly for the ladies, because there aren't that many women who smoke pipes. { but there are some }

I'm wondering what the reaction of women would be to a man who smokes a pipe. Smoking a pipe is not the same as smoking cigarettes, as it is more a hobby than a habbit. There has for some reason been a stigma cast over all smokers and all forms of smoking because of those who smoke cigarettes, but it's unfounded. Pipe smoking is something completely different. It's kind of similar to people who enjoy fine wines but instead of wine it's tobaccos. The same could be said for those who smoke Hookah or Cigars.

So, would you date a guy who smokes a pipe?
Sure...

Why not?

Health nuts will one day lie in bed dying of nothing, but they will still die.

I see no eminent harm in it.

And all the better for you if you genuinely enjoy it.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 459 times
Yes, but it does depend on the tobacco blends. Most pipe smoke has a appealing smell for me. Cigars, cigarettes, and pot has no appeal for me whatsoever.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:52 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,182,614 times
Not only no but hell no.

My sister and I were talking about Volvos once. I said, "Most Volvo drivers (this was some years back) have beards and smoke pipes." She got quite angry, something she's good at anyway, and said nyaaa, some of my best friends drive Volvos, some of them are girls! Maybe she said wymmnn, can't recall exactly.

If I were in the dating world, I would not date anyone who smoked a pipe, Sherlock Holmes or crack or coke or meth or pot pipe either. And I would not date anyone with a beard. The Volvo? That's situational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships