Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 09:56 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,787,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Why? If some of you find it to be off the mark, then explain.
It is laughable, because you equate hard work for equivalent pay and thats not always the case. My boss pulls in $ 200-300K/year but she works from home most days, and she comes in at 10 am and is out the door by 4 pm every day. We have admin assistants at my office that come in at 8 am and don't leave until 7 pm working to get things done yet their salary is barely $55-65K/year- whereas most management comes in, reads emails, responds to them at home or after dinner, and delegate half the time..

So NO, I completely disagree with you on this one. I earn more than my husband but I also get to go home for lunch and bill for work while teleconfering calls while driving. My husband doesn't have that luxury - he has to be at his desk/station at X time for X amount of hours or he gets docked on pay. He puts in a lot more work when he is there than I do by virtue of his particular job and work environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

40,956 posts, read 49,255,141 times
You spend too much.
He is tight with money.

Compromise or the marriage dies. If he's not willing you must or you'll never be happy.

19,046 posts, read 25,212,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I can't believe what I'm reading here... Subsidize?! Why do people bother getting married at all if everything is his and hers and proprotionately spent?! God help if they have children, too. Here, son - 1/3 of the wire (or whatever it is) for your braces is from Mommy and 2/3 from Daddy. Ridiculous!
It really is ridiculous. What comes to mind for me also is retirement funds. He wants her to pay a higher percentage because she earns more, but what if she's bringing more in because he's putting more into a 401k? That's just not a marriage.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 AM

40,956 posts, read 49,255,141 times
Quote:
It really is ridiculous. What comes to mind for me also is retirement funds. He wants her to pay a higher percentage because she earns more, but what if she's bringing more in because he's putting more into a 401k? That's just not a marriage.
This is the problem with your money, my money. If it was 1 joint account it would be our money.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:01 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,747,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You spend too much.
He is tight with money.

Compromise or the marriage dies. If he's not willing you must or you'll never be happy.
Rakin, you're probably one of the wealthiest dudes here.

Would you eat 100$ steak?

The crocodile admits he had a 300$ meal once. Once and once ONLY. And it was with my brother. He paid his 300 and I paid mine.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
1. Private sector jobs tend to require more work from employees (based on what I've read). 2. You have a side job. 3. Management will be more work. There's nothing equal about any of that as far as work output goes from where I sit.
Actually, in my particular field, its less work because I do more delegating (and I say this as someone who was recently promoted where half my old tasks are now being done by lower level admins which frees up a good 3-4 hours of my day to just monitor progress of certain activities on a screen).

Old 04-06-2012, 10:02 AM

12,965 posts, read 13,697,097 times
We had the same problem. I came up with a plan that I thought was an equatable division of money. for instance if 25% of your income should go for housing . Then each person contributes 25% of their income into the housing budget. The same for transportation 20%, food 20%, That way no one is spending anymore of their budget than they would normally if they were alone.
My SO didn't go for it . It was more fun if I just paid for everything and when my money ran out they would chip in.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This is the problem with your money, my money. If it was 1 joint account it would be our money.
Thats why I am proposing a joint account for us. This way we can have household expenses like food/utilities come from that account - and everything else we spend comes from our own personal accts. FWIW, retirement isnt counted I contribute a ton to my 401K so even though I make MORE income a year, my monthly net take-home pay is EQUAL to that of my husband because he only contributes 5% toward retirement while I contribute double that from my paycheck toward my 401K.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
We had the same problem. I came up with a plan that I thought was an equatable division of money. for instance if 25% of your income should go for housing . Then each person contributes 25% of their income into the housing budget. The same for transportation 20%, food 20%, That way no one is spending anymore of their budget than would normally if they were alone.
My SO didn't go for it . It was more fun if I just paid for everything and when my money ran out they would chip in.
That sounds fair to me too! Why didnt your SO buy it? are you still with him/her now or did the relationship end because of that one disagreement?

Old 04-06-2012, 10:06 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,212,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
It is laughable, because you equate hard work for equivalent pay and thats not always the case. My boss pulls in $ 200-300K/year but she works from home most days, and she comes in at 10 am and is out the door by 4 pm every day. We have admin assistants at my office that come in at 8 am and don't leave until 7 pm working to get things done yet their salary is barely $55-65K/year- whereas most management comes in, reads emails, responds to them at home or after dinner, and delegate half the time..
That's not how it goes at my job. My big boss, who probably earns similar to yours, is always on the clock. Emails come in from him at mid-night on Saturday nights to 5-6am during the week. The work itself, the work we do, is simply not in the same universe as what our admins are doing. His PhD in whatever science was no doubt difficult to obtain compared to the run of the mill LA degree our admins have (if they are educated). There is just no comparison in any way.

Quote:
So NO, I completely disagree with you on this one. I earn more than my husband but I also get to go home for lunch and bill for work while teleconfering calls while driving. My husband doesn't have that luxury - he has to be at his desk/station at X time for X amount of hours or he gets docked on pay. He puts in a lot more work when he is there than I do by virtue of his particular job and work environment.
What about your side job? And what industry are you two in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships