Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times

Advertisements

I am in State College, PA. I am in my low 30s. There are no women my age here who aren't already married.

That said ...

I don't want to have a girlfriend. I always was attracted to women, and fantasized about being somebody's boyfriend, and had crushes that I thought about and got excited about, and so on. There were a few crushes that I thought about asking out, but I never did because I feared rejection. Better never know than to find out they don't like you. You can always keep the fantasy memories. There is nothing worse than being rejected by somebody you fancy. I've never asked someone out and been rejected, so I've never had to experience that pain. I have asked one person out on a date in my entire life and she said yes, so I am batting 1.000 out of 1 at bat.

I finally asked a woman out for a lunch date, someone who worked in my building. I was in my late 20s, and I had never asked anybody out on a date in my life. I enjoyed it, but she told me to keep stopping by her work to talk with her. I did, and asked her "do you want to do anything" (those words exactly) maybe half a dozen times, but she always said she was too busy. I don't count that as being rejected because I didn't really ask her to do anything specific. I'm still batting 1.000. I don't care what you think. She also said she spent Thanksgiving with a "friend" who was a "he," and I suppose that was supposed to be some kind of a hint that she was dating him, but I was too dense. She then told me her schedule was changing, and she told me when she'd be around, which indicated that she still wanted me to stop by to chat. I was afraid to tell her I didn't want to come around any more, even though I knew she wasn't interested in me any more, except maybe as some kind of backup plan in case "he" didn't work out. Why did she want me to keep coming around after hinting that she was already taken ? Eventually, it got pretty clear that she didn't want me coming around any more (she probably thought I was so wishy washy it was getting creepy), so I finally said I'm never coming around any more, and she said well she's spending half a year in France real soon anyways. And then I moved to a new job in State College, and so I've never seen her again. It was a real weight off my shoulders when I finally told her I wasn't coming around any more, and I felt so free, and I'm glad I've never had to see her again. But I did enjoy going on a lunch date. That was fun. And it was fun to pretend like I had a girlfriend for a while even though I didn't.

I since then haven't wanted a girlfriend, which is good, because State College doesn't have any women I could date anyways. Most of the people here are under 22, and I as a 30+ balding male can't date that age group.

So I don't want a girlfriend, but I can't stop desiring women and being attracted to women. I don't want to be attracted to women any more. I've been able to stop thinking about women for as long as a month at a time, but I always start thinking about women and start checking out the pretty women, and wishing I lived in D.C. where there are all those single women my age, and so on.

And it's driving me nuts.

Just venting.

Any suggestions on how to stop being attracted to women ? I've tried willpower and it doesn't seem to work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:28 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
So you want to turn gay?

You can be attracted to women and not have a girlfriend. It's called casual sex and there are plenty of girls down for it.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
So you want to turn gay?

You can be attracted to women and not have a girlfriend. It's called casual sex and there are plenty of girls down for it.

No. I don't want to turn gay. I don't want casual sex either. I just want to stop being attracted to women.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Well, putting aside a frontal lobotomy, electroshock treatment, physical or chemical castration, I suppose you are stuck with the drive you were given...sorry.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:24 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
I'm going to take different but blunt approach: stop kidding yourself! You like women: you will be wasting your time trying to deny that. By moving away from "her", you're only admitting you let women subconsciously control your life. No wonder you can't move on....

I'm saddened that you think so lowly of yourself that you can't handle the possibility of rejection. I bet you're better than you consider yourself. Note that many men get rejected. And it hurts; but women get rejected also; but they move on, and find better fulfilling relationships. Give things a chance, don't keep jumping to negative conclusions or keep your guard up: you'll only regret it later on.

I know this isn't not what you want to hear, but it needs to be said.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:06 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
No. I don't want to turn gay. I don't want casual sex either. I just want to stop being attracted to women.
1) Start playing computer games.
2) Buy a Real Doll. It will satisfy all your sexual needs.

Seriously... just go and make friends. Stop thinking about romance. It always happens when least expected.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:03 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Have fun with your hand.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:44 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
I would think that if I wanted to stop being attracted to women I'd have to learn how to focus on something else that interested me more - MUCH more. It might be a hobby, or movies, or work...Miyu had a good idea with the RealDoll, but that's still being attracted to women - just women who don't talk back, give you grief, leave you or ridicule you.

...sounds kind of good, actually...

Anyway, you mentioned D.C. - why don't you move there? State College IS a "young" town, so your chances of finding someone closer to your age are reduced somewhat.

It's certainly not necessary for you to answer, but I'd be interested in knowing why a 30+ balding guy "can't" date an early-20's gal...

Old 10-13-2010, 05:35 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
What a looney statement. You want to stop being attracted because you feel you have no chance with any women in your area. Riiiiight.

Listen up dude. What are your hobbies...what do you enjoy doing (other than your seemingly intolerable obsession with women )? You need to pick things up in that area....get INVOLVED in some activities...get on a bike, get a camera, take up golf. As much as you can. You'll soon find yourself focused on plenty of things other than the women you can't have. In fact, I suspect that you might just trip over a woman or two in the process.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:42 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
Artsy? Take him!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships