Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:10 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times

Advertisements

Yes it happened every weekend when no one would approach me. I figured mayb I should go out with no make up, slippers and a housecoat and see what happens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 05:31 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Well, I am all for improvement. I've thought about cosmetic surgery. Who wants to live their life feeling ignored? I know i dont.

Well if you been feeling ignored all this time -- what's the difference? I just don't see the point in getting all kind of cosmetic surgery (unless you want it for yourself) in the efforts of getting a man who may or may not even compliment you. For example, I am thinking about getting a breast reduction, but it sure as hell isn't for some man. Cosmetic surgery is risky business, yes it's common but look at Kanye West's mother, just going in for a lil' nip n' tuck could even result in death. It's nothing to play around with...what is it you think you need surgery for anyways?

Old 04-08-2012, 05:45 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Well if you been feeling ignored all this time -- what's the difference? I just don't see the point in getting all kind of cosmetic surgery (unless you want it for yourself) in the efforts of getting a man who may or may not even compliment you. For example, I am thinking about getting a breast reduction, but it sure as hell isn't for some man. Cosmetic surgery is risky business, yes it's common but look at Kanye West's mother, just going in for a lil' nip n' tuck could even result in death. It's nothing to play around with...what is it you think you need surgery for anyways?
Cosmetic surgery usually improves a person appearance. I know in my case it will. Right now, I can't afford a nosejob (I plan on getting one later on down the line) but I want to get skin lightening injections to lighten my skin tone. From my observation, it seems that lighterskin women don't have to try that hard, they can be very average and get attention easily whearas average brown/dark women like me have to try incredibly hard and its never good enough.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Think about how it will make you feel if you go under the knife, and STILL don't feel that you're getting enough attention.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:01 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Cosmetic surgery usually improves a person appearance. I know in my case it will. Right now, I can't afford a nosejob (I plan on getting one later on down the line) but I want to get skin lightening injections to lighten my skin tone. From my observation, it seems that lighterskin women don't have to try that hard, they can be very average and get attention easily whearas average brown/dark women like me have to try incredibly hard and its never good enough.

Michael Jackson had Vitiligo and tried to 'lighten' his skin with injections so that the coloring would match but no matter what those doctors did they could never get it right -- and you see how he turned out . All the medical training in the world cannot compete with nature, in some areas, this is my opinion. I don't think you will have a problem with the nose job but being some doctor's guinea pig for skin lightening procedures ?

I agree with you that white, Hispanic and lighter skinned women are 'in' and have a much easier time attracting men then darker skinned women. I don't care what anyone says. I have seen it, heard it and read about it for the majority of my life. But that doesn't mean I want to lighten my skin and neither should you. I actually like my skin tone, thank you very much. It looks nice with some clothing colors and made me stand out when I did dress up (not that men noticed, but anyways you get the point)...I think you should focus on getting used to and accepting the skin that you have, it's not a body suit that you can quick change, if that were the case you would see very dark women who felt like you do, invest money into this procedure. Right now you have darker but NORMAL skin. As always do what you want, but consider you could end up in a really jacked up situation causing you to look like a freak, which is worse off then what you have now.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 04-08-2012 at 06:09 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 06:02 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Surgery isn't all it's cracked up to be. I would love to get a nose job because I simply think it overpowers my face, but I've been through surgical procedures so many times (due to medical issues beyond my control) that to go under the knife voluntarily isn't something I'd like to do.

There will always be someone prettier, smarter and more fun than you. Always. You just have to learn to accept that you're not always going to get attention and move on. I have one friend who I HATED going out with because she would get all the attention... I lost a few dates to her over the years, and believe me it sucks when you introduce someone you like to a friend and they immediately ignore you and ask your friend out in front of you. It sucks a lot.

After a few years of it I realized that if guys are going to go after her, they will obviously never be interested in me in the same way so why try and force it? Now, when we go out I help her out and support her, even when she gets all the attention. It's just not worth getting irritated over anymore and hopefully one day you'll get to that point as well

Old 04-08-2012, 06:12 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Decades? Try thousands and thousands of years.
Obviously. I was referring to popular culture.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:25 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
As always do what you want, but consider you could end up in a really jacked up situation causing you to look like a freak, which is worse off then what you have now.
True...have you seen Lil Kim lately? Yikes!

Old 04-08-2012, 06:26 PM

41 posts, read 92,791 times
I usually get compliments from men when I get dolled up. But if not, oh well there is always next time. I think you should have a fun, outgoing personality to match with it.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,825 times
Quote:
Michael Jackson had Vitiligo and tried to 'lighten' his skin with injections so that the coloring would match but no matter what those doctors did they could never get it right -- and you see how he turned out . All the medical training in the world cannot compete with nature, in some areas, this is my opinion. I don't think you will have a problem with the nose job but being some doctor's guinea pig for skin lightening procedures ?

I agree with you that white, Hispanic and lighter skinned women are 'in' and have a much easier time attracting men then darker skinned women. I don't care what anyone says. I have seen it, heard it and read about it for the majority of my life. But that doesn't mean I want to lighten my skin and neither should you. I actually like my skin tone, thank you very much. It looks nice with some clothing colors and made me stand out when I did dress up (not that men noticed, but anyways you get the point)...I think you should focus on getting used to and accepting the skin that you have, it's not a body suit that you can quick change, if that were the case you would see very dark women who felt like you do, invest money into this procedure. Right now you have darker but NORMAL skin. As always do what you want, but consider you could end up in a really jacked up situation causing you to look like a freak, which is worse off then what you have now.
I've been doing research on skin lightening injections and it can be successful, but I'm not sure how well it's going to work on dark African American skin. In Japan the women are always getting these glutathione skin lightening injections, but it may work well on them because they have much fairer skin than I do and the change isn't drastic. Also, I notice that alot of Nigerian women have been able to successfully lighten their skin from dark to light--how they do this I'm not sure. It seems to be an inside secret amongst wealthy and elite who can afford to do this. Hopefully whatever they are using will be available to the public and at a reasonable price. I've been desperately trying to figure it out

I am willing to take the risk, I am just not happy with my skin tone. Should I just go on with my life being unhappy and not able to secure a relationship with my skin tone? Or do something about it and finally be at peace? I'd rather choose the latter.

Quote:
I agree with you that white, Hispanic and lighter skinned women are 'in' and have a much easier time attracting men then darker skinned women. I don't care what anyone says. I have seen it, heard it and read about it for the majority of my life.
And I don't know how to cope with this reality. I'm pretty sure there are darkskin women who get a lot of attention from men--but they usually are very gorgeous and have impeccable style. Yet I see regular, average lightskin girls who have tons of male co-workers befriending them and trying to date them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships