Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ......
Loud Snorer 20 41.67%
Loud Eater (heavy breathing/moaning or smacking mouth) 20 41.67%
If everything else is perfect with the person I could overlook these 8 16.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 12:46 PM

349 posts, read 459,937 times

Advertisements

As a person who has lived with someone who snores it's not that big of a deal unless they are loud. You can always tune the noise out or use white noise to mask it. Even I snore when I have allergies/cold. But a loud eater can make me lose my appetite if it's bad enough. I was on a bus and this guy directly behind me was smacking his lips loudly while eating. He kept chewing and chewing and you could hear the food being masticated in his mouth- GROSS! I have never seen a grown person eat like that only small children. Thank goodness the bus ride ended not long after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 01:01 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Not that I'd have an easy time with snoring but I think loud eater would be worse to me.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Loud eater would be worse, because it means the person was raised without any manners, or that theyre sloppy enough not to care. Its a situation which can be easily and consciously fixed. Loud snoring is another beast, because loud snorers arent doing it consciously but in their sleep and it is more or less out of their hands. Of course there can be things done to fix this as well, but it isnt quite as easy as stopping to eat without manners. My point, i dislike when people are criticized for things they have no control over. (BTW, I used to be a loud snorer, when I was out of shape and overweight. Since I got in great shape in the last year, through proper diet and exercise, my snoring is long gone. In fact not too long ago, someone ive slept with before and recently told me they no longer heard me snoring - and I said "thats right, i dont do that anymore")

Old 04-22-2012, 05:28 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
Gee OP, nitpick much?

Some of us do both...I can only imagine what other kinds of criteria you have aside from being so superficial as to reject someone just because they chew loud or snore loud.

Yes, I do both; hence the response.

Loud snoring keeps me up at night. How is this superficial?

Old 04-22-2012, 06:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Since you made this a poll, why didn't you include "leaves up the toilet seat?"

Old 04-22-2012, 06:29 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
That's the thing. Snoring is not voluntary, but a doc should be seen. Eating uncivilized can be worked on, tho I imagine it's riddled with all kinds of bizarre issues. Not putting the lid down after peeing? Given that we all know darn well that the spray leaves the toilet and lands on the tooth brush, well, that's another lifestyle choice.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,841 times
Some people cannot help their snoring BUT they can help their eating habits. When you are asleep how can you not snore?! I hate it when people eat and smack on their food, especially ice-cream. It drives me insane, I just want to scream. Or when they are sucking a hard piece of candy. Why do people do that???

Old 04-22-2012, 08:56 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Oh my gosh, I just got chills up my spine even thinking about a loud eater. A loud eater is much worse because they are wide awake and doing it and need to learn to stop. You can't just stop snoring because your spouse or SO doesn't like it. You can try one of those mouth guards or get a sleep study and if you have sleep apnea use a CPAP machine, but you can't just stop snoring. I had a relative that made so much noise when she ate that it about made me crazy. I seriously couldn't deal with someone that did that and live with them. It isn't that hard to close your mouth and learn to eat right.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:19 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Loud eater, it's disgusting. Don't eat like a god damn farm animal. One of my roommates is really bad about it and EVERYONE notices. He's a good friend but god help him if he ever goes on a date with a girl and there's food involved.
I went to lunch a few times with a coworker, this guy was the epitome of gross..... dirty nails, chewed with his mouth open, made smacking noises when he ate.

He also stunk to high heaven, his clothes were smelly. The dude was a walking mess.

He one time told me he had to break up with a girl, because she wanted too much of him.

Yeah, right, this guy was beyond gross.... not to mention delusional......

Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,822 times
Well, when we were 16 and dating, my husband was a bit of a loud eater, but I straightened him up.

As far as snoring, well, he does sometimes, mostly when he has a cold or his allergies are acting up.

I tend to snore either when I'm extremely relaxed, like after good sex (so therefore hubby says its worth it) or when I'm not feeling well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships