Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:23 PM

297 posts, read 740,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That explains some of it.

But I do believe that a good many people believe that unattractive people are like Asian people. That's the way the were born and when they look in the mirror they know it. So they won't be insulted if you say it to them. At least one poster has already echoed those sentiments.

I'm into psychology.
I don't get this analogy. Please explain.

ETA: nevermind; I think i get it.

Unattractive people look in the mirror and know it, like
Asian people look in the mirror and know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM

474 posts, read 495,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
I don't get this analogy. Please explain.

ETA: nevermind; I think i get it.

Unattractive people look in the mirror and know it, like
Asian people look in the mirror and know it.
She meant to say that Asian people are ugly, this is usually the perception of most American people anyway, so she's not off the tangent here.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM

410 posts, read 515,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
How many people here actually call or imply a person to be ugly to their face in a non joking, non-insulting matter of factly manner?

I was thinking about this today because I got a Facebook post from an old college friend. Back in the day, my friends all used to joke around and call themselves ugly. I never partook, but most of the time it seemed like it was just for fun.

A few times in adult life, someone has implied I was unattractive or implied that they were much better looking than me. And I got to thinking this...

Some people have the rationale that looks are like height. You are either tall or short. If you call a 5'2" guy short, it's not really an insult, he's short. And correspondingly, you are either good looking or ugly. Therefore, calling a person ugly isn't an insult per se because that person is just ugly and they probably know and accept it.

That's just a theory. It's hard for me to believe that a lot of people think like that, but I know some do.

Why else would you call a friend or coworker or other person you know ugly to their face or imply they were unattractive? For those that wouldn't, why do you think people do it?

C'mon, be honest. Come clean.
There is no such thing as an ugly looking person. A person who behaves very rude and disturbing towards others is often called an ugly person.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
She meant to say that Asian people are ugly, this is usually the perception of most American people anyway, so she's not off the tangent here.
So they assume that most people think that Asian people are ugly and they themselves know it as well, so it's okay to call them ugly to their faces because they know they are anyway?

Pretty harsh, IMO.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 PM

749 posts, read 838,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
I can't remember when was the last time I thought someone was ugly.
Will this help jog your memory?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
Will this help jog your memory?
The irony is that it was the result of a quest of obtaining beauty for her husband.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 PM

749 posts, read 838,829 times
Quote:
The irony is that it was the result of a quest of obtaining beauty for her husband.
I'd say she didn't reach her goal then...

Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
Quote:
So they assume that most people think that Asian people are ugly and they themselves know it as well, so it's okay to call them ugly to their faces because they know they are anyway?

Pretty harsh, IMO.

I didn't get that- I thought they ment Asians know they are Asian when they look in the mirror.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
Because there will always be rude, insecure, hateful people in the world.

If your ugly, good looking, short, tall, fat, skinny, poor, rich, drive a used car, drive a new car, own the nicest house on the block, own the poorest house on the block, etc these people will always have something negative to say to put you down to make themselves happy.
Yes.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
WOW!

You really thought that's what I meant?

Where did you get that perception from?

It meant if you are Asian, black, or white, you look in the mirror and know that's what you are. So if somebody calls you Asian, black or white, then it's not an insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships