Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:10 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic6303 View Post

At times I can be intimidated by stunningly gorgeous women, was wondering if it was the same the other way around.

So please stop jumping to conclusions, I'm not a tool. thanks.
... did you just call yourself "gorgeous?"

Old 05-25-2012, 03:20 AM

228 posts, read 421,732 times
Hmmm...I love veins showing in the arms and hands. I have no idea why! One of my friends had very veiny arms, but he was into martial arts and he had this slim, sinewy build to him. The only thing that scared me was the thought of him ever seeing me in a swimsuit, or worse, naked (gasp!). I didn't want him to know what my body fat percentage was, for sure. I don't know if that's what you mean by a woman feeling "intimidated" by you, but that's the only fear I have when I see a muscular man.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:41 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Without seeing you, who knows what the problem is? Much depends on how you carry your weight, the way you walk and talk, the vibes you send off. You could have a look of desperation and women seem to be able to sense this. Maybe you're not as relaxed as you think you are and women pick up on you uneasiness. It could be the way you dress or how you wear your hair. So many factors. I don't think a blanket statement that women are intimidated by muscular men is accurate.

Rather, there are some women who are, some who aren't. Keep looking, be yourself. Maybe you will attract an Amazon of a woman who prefers you as you are...and this is the type you want.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:48 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic6303 View Post
I've had numerous people tell me that I don't seem very approachable. My best bud says I look "too masculine" and women are intimidated by me. I've had women tell me that I don't seem too approachable even though I try and smile. I'm not the biggest guy in the world, 5'11, 205 about 9% bodyfat, but not the smallest. My sister says that the veins in my biceps are a big turnoff too?
What can I do to seem more approachable to women? I try and smile, be friendly and wear "softer" color clothes... are women intimidated by decent looking/fit muscular guys?
No, I don't think you are unapproachable to most women; we rather like a guy who is in shape just like you like women who are in shape. If you work out because you want to be healthy that is great, you will manage to keep a great attitude this way and be willing to help other people get fit. If you are working out just to catch the ladies, that could be a different story and could make you kind of unattractive to some. Try dressing just normal as I don't think special colors or softer clothes is going to make much of a difference. Just be a good guy and you will be ok with attracting nice women. Congrats on keeping fit, not an easy thing to do. I have been walking on the treadmill every day and had to give the old knees a break. I am 64 and have lost 85 plus lbs and decided to start walking, well...my knees from years of sports and exercise are shot so now trying to figure out a good work out schedule that isn't going to kill the old joints..any suggestions..LOL

Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 AM

10 posts, read 71,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
... did you just call yourself "gorgeous?"
No, I didn't. Do you have the reading comprehension of a second grader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd
I am 64 and have lost 85 plus lbs and decided to start walking, well...my knees from years of sports and exercise are shot so now trying to figure out a good work out schedule that isn't going to kill the old joints..any suggestions..LOL

That's awesome! Congratulations. Have you tried swimming or the recumbent bike? Or possibly even low level knee braces (neoprene w/ single-axis hinges) for some support?

Old 05-25-2012, 07:05 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephV55 View Post
Some are... some are not.

It is that initial image and how some woman may perceive that.

Any gal with an interest in fitness won't have an issue.
Yep.

It's a sad testimony to the mindset in this country when taking care of your body is considered narcissism.

No wonder the obesity rate is so high.

OP, a muscular man isn't a turnoff for me at all.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh goody....one more thing for people to obsess over! Because we all know that a rock solid 6 pack is the be all to end all and a determiner of self-worth!
I know this probably isn't true in your case, but when I hear people say stuff like that, it automatically makes me think they are looking for excuses for being lazy.

Being fit is important. It's not about vanity. Reducing intraabdominal fat is important. It's not about showing off 6 pack abs.
The op's picture is, IMO, what a regular guy should look like. Not some paragon of narcissitic gym obsession.
It's sad we've strayed so far from what the human form was meant to be.

Last edited by stan4; 05-25-2012 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 07:15 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
SOME women are turned off by it, but mostly, women are turned off by the attitude. When you go around with the attitude that you KNOW you look good and you're flaunting it.....right down to knowing what your body fat content is, that's the big turn off.

When you have that type of attitude, you're limiting yourself to relationships with women. Either you're going to end up with someone who has a complete lack of self-esteem, or you're going to end up with women who are as "obsessed" with their body fat content as you are. Oh well, if you find someone like that, at least you'll have someone to compete with.

It might have more to do with how you carry yourself than anything. When you're so obsessed and proud of your musculature, you walk around in a "flexed" state all of the time....a HUGE turn off to many women. Many of us prefer someone who's toned, not someone who looks like they can tear us to pieces if they get pi$$ed at us!
This is just.....

First, knowing your bodyfat percentage is not an indicator of narcissim. Everyone should know this number.

I keep hearing the word "obsessed". Many ripped people I know spend about an hour to an hour in a half in the gym a day. I wouldn't call that obsessed. And I would rather have a body that I am proud of than one that I have to hide under layers of clothing because I don't like how I look.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:28 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Quote:
Oh goody....one more thing for people to obsess over! Because we all know that a rock solid 6 pack is the be all to end all and a determiner of self-worth!
Of course its not, i dont see anyone claiming it has anything to do with self-worth. But for someone who is fit and likes working out body fat % is a better indicator of their progress than lets say weight. Now there is a thing that peole obsess over, when in reality it doesnt mean that much. I check my body fat% once every couple of months, because I want to know where im at. Hardly an obsession. I know its easier to watch TV and get morbidly obese and then criticize people who put in hard work to be fit and live a healthy life.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:33 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Intimidated? No. MEN are intimidated by muscular men, from what I have observed, but I don't know of any women who are intimidated by it. They probably just don't like the bodybuilder look. To me, it's not attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships