Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:35 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic6303 View Post
Wow, a lot of assumptions were made in this thread, fast.

A) For starters, I never mentioned how many days a week I work out, not sure where 6 came from.

B) Any person with slight knowledge in fitness knows that for males to show abs you need to be sub 10% BF, it's not something I obsess over nor something I have actually measured, my guess is that I'm around 9% due to an definition and vascularity in my arms.

C) I never dress like a meathead (affliction t-shirt, wifebeater, etc.) the 2nd pic I showed was us goofing around, and no, with the quality of the photos you can't see the veins in my arms.

D) I'm not into bodybuilding. I do crossfit and powerlift. I think everyone was expecting a juiced out bodybuilder. I'm by no means huge, but put me next to your average guy I probably do look much more muscular. And I never bragged in these posts about it nor do I ever do it in public, I'm actually very modest.

E) The reason why I posted this to begin with was because my buddy that told me women can be intimidated by more muscular men used to be a dating coach. I've had women tell me that I'm not very approachable (maybe I look like I'm mad?). And my sister told me that vascular arms, etc. are a turnoff for her and the girls she knows (she's 21).

At times I can be intimidated by stunningly gorgeous women, was wondering if it was the same the other way around.

So please stop jumping to conclusions, I'm not a tool. thanks.
Yeah, I think most people were expecting a total meathead. From my experience, vast majority of women like when a guy is fit and shows some muscle definition. I would imagine that very rarely it would be a turn off, unless you are a steroid freak who doesnt look human. I'm pretty sure that the most popular look with many of the ladies, would be lean muscled guy, who shows some definition but not necerrily over the top. Tony Horton type of look. I have no idea if there are any people on this planet who find the gym rat, 200 lbs of nondefined muscle and a beer gut look , but i guess there may be some.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
No, I didn't. Do you have the reading comprehension of a second grader?

[color=#000080][/i][/b]

That's awesome! Congratulations. Have you tried swimming or the recumbent bike? Or possibly even low level knee braces (neoprene w/ single-axis hinges) for some support?
Well, you said you guys can be intimidated by gorgeous women, this thread started because girls don't like you, and then you pose the question about maybe women are just intimidated by gorgeous men. Do you have the writing ability of a second grader?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:21 AM

10 posts, read 71,874 times
I said that I can be intimidated by gorgeous women. And are women intimidated by muscular men not "gorgeous" men

Old 05-25-2012, 08:25 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Of course its not, i dont see anyone claiming it has anything to do with self-worth. But for someone who is fit and likes working out body fat % is a better indicator of their progress than lets say weight. Now there is a thing that peole obsess over, when in reality it doesnt mean that much. I check my body fat% once every couple of months, because I want to know where im at. Hardly an obsession. I know its easier to watch TV and get morbidly obese and then criticize people who put in hard work to be fit and live a healthy life.
Please see my above, bolded words. You are 100% correct in that statement. Basically, it's the point I was making. For decades, people have "obsessed" over those numbers and the word "overweight".

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to work out, be fit, and live a heathy life... in fact, it's a GREAT thing! You feel better, you have the ability to live a better life, you feel better about yourself. I just have a "thing" about people who go about comparing themselves to others and becoming "obsessed" with their body image.

Even though a whole lot of guys don't want to believe it....being a good and decent person can cover a whole lot of flaws.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:31 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know this probably isn't true in your case, but when I hear people say stuff like that, it automatically makes me think they are looking for excuses for being lazy.

Being fit is important. It's not about vanity. Reducing intraabdominal fat is important. It's not about showing off 6 pack abs.
The op's picture is, IMO, what a regular guy should look like. Not some paragon of narcissitic gym obsession.
It's sad we've strayed so far from what the human form was meant to be.
No, not true in my case at all. Laziness is one of the biggest turnoffs to me, as far as character traits and lifestyle choices go. It rates second only, to being a liar.

I agree about the OPs picture....and with your statement, "Being fit is important. It's not about vanity. Reducing intraabdominal fat is important. It's not about showing off 6 pack abs." In fact, that's exactly what I've been trying to say.....but maybe I didn't make myself clear.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:21 AM

10 posts, read 71,874 times
To answer the persons question about what happens after a person stops lifting. Obviously muscle atrophy occurs, I think that "spongy" saggy look they're referring to is loose, stretched skin

Old 05-25-2012, 05:56 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,753 times
Intimidated? No, just not at all attracted to very muscular men.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 PM

35 posts, read 37,017 times
not all the time

Old 05-31-2012, 10:51 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
I've had numerous people tell me that I don't seem very approachable. My best bud says I look "too masculine" and women are intimidated by me. I've had women tell me that I don't seem too approachable even though I try and smile. I'm not the biggest guy in the world, 5'11, 205 about 9% bodyfat, but not the smallest. My sister says that the veins in my biceps are a big turnoff too?

What can I do to seem more approachable to women? I try and smile, be friendly and wear "softer" color clothes... are women intimidated by decent looking/fit muscular guys?
No, women are not intimidated by muscular men. Some women I know only date muscular men and hardly any of these women have a fulfilling relationship.

Smart women are turned off by self absorbed guys though. I have met quite a few "muscular" guys in my life, especially when I was in the military. I even worked out along side some of them. Too many of them only talked about their muscles. They were boring as heck. I did become friends with two "health nuts" who had chiseled bodies but were worthy conversationalists and overall interesting and decent guys.

Don't know what to tell you other than, Are you always checking yourself out? Women notice that and it is a big turn off for some women.

Try to reach out to women who lift weights too. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:59 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Personally, it has nothing to do with intimidation. Based on appearance alone, I would be wary of a bodybuilder type only because I would assume that devotion to muscle building would be too high of a priority in his life for me.

I also am not attracted to a man who cares that much about his appearance.

Clean, neat, fit, yes. Obsessed, no.

Not that all muscular men are obsessed, of course.

I would assume men would not want a woman with this mindset either.
Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.