Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 02:24 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I'd seek anger management counseling if it ever got that critical. Because if I base my choice in a wife on who I want to shout at and abuse (verbally) during an argument, then its not like Im going to be a very good spouse anyway.
One can't have an argument without shouting and verbally abusing the wife? These posts just keep getting stranger....
Just curious (if you don't mind disclosing) - Are you young? A teenager?

Quote:
IMy initial words was that one can find reciprocal love in their hobbies.
How do you define "reciprocal"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 02:26 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
I said that video games, sports, and other hobbies could deliver love to a person. I said nothing about human emotion, and I said nothing remotely close to inanimate objects being able to love people. My initial words was that one can find reciprocal love in their hobbies. YOU started talking about inanimate objects.
You keep saying reciprocal. It doesn't mean what you think it means. A hobby can most certainly provide fulfillment and satisfaction, but it cannot, as it is not a sentient being, reciprocate emotion. A person who loves playing a sport is not receiving love from that sport.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:27 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
One can't have an argument without shouting and verbally abusing the wife? These posts just keep getting stranger....
Just curious (if you don't mind disclosing) - Are you young? A teenager?
Yes, Im only 3 days old. There's the answer you're fishing for ..so that should explain everything right...? Now for the 6 million dollar question: will you keep conversing with a 3 day old infant?

Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You keep saying reciprocal. It doesn't mean what you think it means. A hobby can most certainly provide fulfillment and satisfaction, but it cannot, as it is not a sentient being, reciprocate emotion.
this is incorrect, it means exactly what I meant when I said it. It can be rewarding and fulfilling, and thereby reciprocate those same emotions that being in a relationship does. But as I also keep saying, it all depends on how you view that relationship to that hobby. If you dont find it fulfilling, or if you dont love it, it will not bring you any joy either.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:31 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Yes, Im only 3 days old. There's the answer you're fishing for ..so that should explain everything right...? Now for the 6 million dollar question: will you keep conversing with a 3 day old infant?
If you are young, it might help explain some of your bewildering posts - E.g. Maybe you don't know what "reciprocate" means yet as it has not come up in your English class vocab test. Your vocabulary seems young and uninformed.

An example...

Quote:
this is incorrect, it means exactly what I meant when I said it. It can be rewarding and fulfilling, and thereby reciprocate those same emotions that being in a relationship does.
You are mixing up replicate with reciprocate. You need to study this if you are taking the SAT.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
If you are young, it might help explain some of your bewildering posts - Like the fact you don't know what "reciprocal" means yet as it has not come up in your English class vocab test. Your vocabulary seems young and uninformed.
Yes, yes, but it still wouldnt explain why you dont know what the word "brokering" means..and Im not sure age or relationship status could ever explain why your outlook on love is so narrow and bitter, unless perhaps you're elderly and senile. Which judging by your vocabulary.....

Old 05-31-2012, 02:37 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,912 times
these are some of the most dysfunctional views on love I've ever seen...Ive heard of objectifying a person but apparently you can objectify an object...

Old 05-31-2012, 02:39 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
I said that video games, sports, and other hobbies could deliver love to a person. I said nothing about human emotion, and I said nothing remotely close to inanimate objects being able to love people. My initial words was that one can find reciprocal love in their hobbies. YOU started talking about inanimate objects.
We started talking about inanimate objects because that's what was being discussed. As the other posters have said - you are not understanding the definition of reciprocal. You can get enjoyment from something - but in order for it to be "reciprocal love" - the feeling would need to be mutual. Since an inanimate object, hobby, or anything else like that cannot feel - the feeling is not mutual.
Quote:
so you would feel his love for you would cease just because he couldnt express it?..thats a little unjustified.
This is why you are coming off like a very young person. Because you KNOW that this is not what I said and you KNOW that what you are saying is ridiculous. You are trying to make a case for yourself and you are not succeeding. My husband and I love each other for who we are. If I had met him and he was brain dead - we would not have fallen in love because it would have been impossible. If my husband were to have an accident and become brain dead - he would no longer be capable of feeling anything. I would continue to love him but he would not be there. Honestly - what is so hard for you to understand? My husband is not an inanimate object. You cannot compare the feelings of a human being to a piece of plastic.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:40 PM

lol..I know, and Ive never seen so many "happily married" or happily involved people so distressed and bewildered by what other people think of their decisions. You'd think they'd be too busy loving their spouse to have time for such foolishness right?...crazy world, man

Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,912 times
Quote:
this is incorrect, it means exactly what I meant when I said it. It can be rewarding and fulfilling, and thereby reciprocate those same emotions that being in a relationship does. But as I also keep saying, it all depends on how you view that relationship to that hobby. If you dont find it fulfilling, or if you dont love it, it will not bring you any joy either.
I think you might be insane...my 3 day old friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships