Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:46 AM

566 posts, read 958,207 times

Advertisements

I can sort of understand why average guys get married in their 20s and 30s, but why do so many guys who are or will likely be highly successful (top law school students, med students, Wall Street guys, successful entrepreneurs, etc) marry in their 20s and 30s?

I understand if a guy wants to start a family one day, but wouldn't it be better to finish school, start making some serious money (6 figures), enjoy the bachelor life while making 6 figures for a good 10 years, THEN look to settle down around 40 to a woman who is around the age of 30? I'm just wondering because I know so many guys who worked very hard to put themselves in a great financial position, but got married/engaged prior to making excellent money and pretty much missed out on everything that comes with being a highly successful, single guy. I just don't understand why so many guys do this to themselves.

Can someone please explain this insanity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Because perhaps they met women who knocked their socks off and they wanted to settle down and start a family. Marriage isn't for everyone, obviously, but it's just odd to me that some of you interweb dudes can't fathom that not all guys want to play the field, or that they really enjoy the company of their girlfriends and wives. They're not miserable in relationships.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,039 times
Everyone is different, they have different priorities and mature at different stages of their life. I dont even know if your presumption is correct or not. Do you think that making 6 figures and being "succesful" guarantees you a happier life than someone who lives in a third world country, but has a loving family?

Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
I can sort of understand why average guys get married in their 20s and 30s, but why do so many guys who are or will likely be highly successful (top law school students, med students, Wall Street guys, successful entrepreneurs, etc) marry in their 20s and 30s?

I understand if a guy wants to start a family one day, but wouldn't it be better to finish school, start making some serious money (6 figures), enjoy the bachelor life while making 6 figures for a good 10 years, THEN look to settle down around 40 to a woman who is around the age of 30? I'm just wondering because I know so many guys who worked very hard to put themselves in a great financial position, but got married/engaged prior to making excellent money and pretty much missed out on everything that comes with being a highly successful, single guy. I just don't understand why so many guys do this to themselves.

Can someone please explain this insanity?
Good morning,

You're assuming they have the same desires as those who chose the bachelor path. Many of the men you speak of have no desire for the single bachelor life, and would prefer to be married with kids or at least in a monogamous relationship.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Of the people I know they did their partying while in school and were done with that when done with school. Onto life phase two with someone they know who liked them before they were making a lot of money.

Its not insane to not want to continually dip your stick in every pretty face you meet until you are 40. That to me is insane. Your money won't matter if you are a walking STD factory/player rep.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,202 times
Usually when I see a question like this I try to check if the premise of the question is true first. How have you gone about establishing that "so many" such guys DO actually do this? Did you see some report you could link to that showed that the average marrying age is lower in correlation with financial success or something? Or is this just an idea you are extrapoloating out of a few personal anecdotes of successful guys you happen to know?

Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
I was wondering the same thing about a guy I know who married young. My guess is that he has strong family values and wanted to commit to her instead of staying single and playing the field until his 30s/40s.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 AM

566 posts, read 958,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Usually when I see a question like this I try to check if the premise of the question is true first. How have you gone about establishing that "so many" such guys DO actually do this? Did you see some report you could link to that showed that the average marrying age is lower in correlation with financial success or something? Or is this just an idea you are extrapoloating out of a few personal anecdotes of successful guys you happen to know?
It just seems like the majority of my highly successful friends (and others I just happen to know) are either engaged or married. However, these are guys who love women so I have a hard time understanding why these guys would settle down right when the money is starting to roll in (many of us graduated from professional school within the last 3 years).

Maybe they feel pressured by family or something.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,461 times
I see just the opposite of what the OP states. I see more of the young successful people NOT getting married and waiting until later.

This would explain why the average marriage age is much higher in large cities....

Old 05-30-2012, 08:06 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
It just seems like the majority of my highly successful friends (and others I just happen to know) are either engaged or married. However, these are guys who love women so I have a hard time understanding why these guys would settle down right when the money is starting to roll in (many of us graduated from professional school within the last 3 years). Maybe they feel pressured by family or something.
So it does sound like you are extrapolating a generalisation based off a few personal aquaintences. As such I am not sure there is a question to answer here. You are trying to explain why successful guys marry younger than less successful counterparts but have not established yet THAT successful guys marry younger than their less sucessful counterparts.

Perhaps it is just a trend in YOUR circle of friends and not an actual fact or trend - in which case the best way to answer your question is to simply ask those friends you speak of, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships